1 Reply Latest reply: Sep 2, 2010 6:38 PM by eferz RSS

"Connection attempt failed" error during setup

janetq

I added a 10/100 switch between my router and Slingbox, and got "connection attempt failed" errors on both my iMac and iPhone.  On both devices, I was able to connect and could see the video but the error always came after a few seconds.  I removed the switch and reconnected my Slingbox directly to the router, and the same thing happened.  I put the swtich back between the router and  Slingbox, powered down the router, my iMac, and all devices connected to my router and powered them back up again--same problem.

Then I followed the procedure for resetting the Slingbox and using Firefox, I went through the Set Up procedure on the Slingmedia website.  I updated the firmware and got no errors, then I chose Configure Inputs.  I got to the point where the website said "We've detected video on the S-Video input of your Slingbox," and the video showed on the screen.  But in a few seconds, I got the "connection attempted failed" error again.

I have other devices connected to the switch and have no problems with any of them.  I haven't used the Slingbox in a while, so it's possible that this error pre-dated the addition of the switch.

Any recommendations?

• Re: "Connection attempt failed" error during setup
          eferz Expert

As I understand it is not entirely uncommon for malfunctioning AC adapter to cause the symptoms that you've described.  On the bottom of the Slingbox, you should see the power requirements; voltage, amps, and polarity.  Make sure the AC adapter connected to your Slingbox has the same output sepecifications. Otherwuse, if you have a compatible power supply then you can test it with your Slingbox to see if there's any change.