43 Replies Latest reply: Jan 11, 2012 8:56 AM by mkstretch RSS

HELP!...need a custom remote for cctv dvr

djjimmc

Hi all slingers!!

Im new to this, and finding the slingbox pro a great device,

I need to connect my cctv dvr up to the slingbox to remote view my cameras.

I want to be able to use the remote control features to be able to select between

channels of the cameras and use the pan/tilt/zoom function to control the cameras.

My PROBEM!! the dvr is off no paticular brand (made in china) or is the handheld remote control for

the device, so its not listed in the remotes to choose from in slingbox setup and I dont know where to

go from here as Im not really technically minded!!

this is the link to the device Im using

http://www.best-china-security-supplies.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1643

Hope someone can help with this, I would be very gratefull

Many Thanks guys!

Jimmy

• Re: HELP!...need a custom remote for cctv dvr
          alanrichey42 Master

Unless there is a metal/plastic tag somewhere giving a manifacturer/model number your only option is betaremotes.slingbox.com.   Unfortunately that site has been down for maintenance for some time now and Sling Media don't seem to have any enthusiasm for fixing it.

dutchandre Newbie

Hi

I have the same  question but unfortunately I have a slingbox classic not capable of IR learning

My cctv dvr is also a not branded made in China box.

Could I try to let my Harmony 1000 learn the codes and then convert them somehow?

Tx

André

alanrichey42 Master

You won't be able to convert them unless you have the right software/hardware.  But I can do it for you, you just need to install your device onto my Logitech account.  Username is slingboxes, password is password.

dutchandre Newbie

Thanks a lot for your effort, I've learned the keys using my H1000 and I place a picture of the remote.

Some codes seemed to be in the Logitech database so I hope they work correct.

Grtz

André

alanrichey42 Master

Ok, it seems to use a fairly straightforward prototcol and I manage to learn most of the keys.  The ones i couldn't manage were

Right Arrow

Cancel

Search

Remote

Record

and there was an oddity that '1' and Up Arrow returned the same code.

Anyway, give it a try

Al

dutchandre Newbie

Oops, I replied to the TS, not to your last answer ...

alanrichey42 Master

Ok, next attempt attached.  The code for 'Up arrow' has changed to 149 and doesn't clash with '1' (135) any more but it clashes with '5' (149).   In fact all the functions seem to share codes with the numbers. Is that what you expect ?

And the right arrow is still outputing a totally different signal to all the other buttons so I can't do that.  But on the basis that all the functions share codes with the numbers, the only 3 numbers that are not shared are '0' (146), '6' (152) and '9' (153) so as an experiment I have used 152 as the code for the right arrow.

Any better ?

dutchandre Newbie

Some things are different, but there are still problems with the number keys.

2 represents 'esc', 3 and 5 seem to be 'display' and not numbers.

4 is the 'function' key and 'channel +' seems to be '2' now.

Right arrow is still greyed out (not functioning).

Arrow left and up work like they should.

I'm not sure why some number keys seem to share code with other keys,

on the remote itself they are different.

So far more keys are functional now and with a cross table I can work with it.

Thanks for now, where can I see what the codes look like?

alanrichey42 Master

I don't know what to suggest.  Can you learn the buttons on http://remotes.slingbox.com ?

Thanks for now, where can I see what the codes look like?

I've attached the source code, if you open it up in a text editor you will see the mapping.

Al

dutchandre Newbie

I can't use the beta remote stuff because it needs to find my classic slingbox and then stops.

It looks like a timing issue that different keys seem to be the same.

My one4all remote could learn some keys but I don't know if others can access them online.

To me it looks like number keys code should exist of a number and a letter.

1 is code 1E, 2 is code 9E, pause (code 4E) does behave like key 8.

These codes do not really match a matrix for the number keys, that is like this:

Maybe you can change the number key codes and make C2010 files, if I'm right

I then can test the missing numbers and give them the right place.

With these 2 changes I would be very happy

The 'cancel' key is under '2' now but I can't find it elsewhere, it's not under custom too.

Maybe you can place it at an other visible and working knob like Menu.

Thanx

André

alanrichey42 Master

It looks like a timing issue that different keys seem to be the same

No, doesn't affect it

To me it looks like number keys code should exist of a number and a letter.

1 is code 1E, 2 is code 9E, pause (code 4E) does behave like key 8.

No, you misunderstand, these codes are in hex, which is why they consist of letters and numbers.  I tend to use decimal numbers and whilst I agree that the codes should be logical, 0 for 0, 1 for 1, 2 for 2..   this applies in about 30% of the remotes I have built. The other 70% have apparently random codes allocated to them.

Maybe you can change the number key codes and make C2010 files, if I'm right

I then can test the missing numbers and give them the right place.

Not that simple I'm afraid.   We will have to do it by trial and error.   So as a first step, please list all the buttons you need, and annotate which ones are working and which ones are not working.

Al

dutchandre Newbie

I know what hex is, a group of similar codes for the number keys could fit the simple Chinese stuff.

It takes some time to make a list with working and not working keys, I'll get back on this.

Regarding the timing idea, to me it could be important that each key press lasts an equal time

when learning the keys with my H1000.

The dvr remote has some unfamilar key naming and there are more functions per key regarding what you're doing.

André

alanrichey42 Master

I guess you have given up on this ?

dutchandre Newbie

No, I had a very busy week.

Today I'll make the list.

André

dutchandre Newbie

I have attached 2 pictures, one is of the dvr remote and the other is the Sling remote.

Now you can compare the layout better.

On the Sling remote the grey keys don't work.

First the buttons that do functions they shouldn't:

3 and 5, do the 'display' function, it toggles between 1, 4, 8 cams and all cams with bitrate

6 works like right arrow

8, 9, enter and channel down (-) don't do anything

0 acts like 'space' when inputting numbers, funny thing is that there is no remote key for that!

2 acts like 'escape' (esc)

4 acts like FN key

Pause acts like 9

channel up (+) is 2

Left, up and down arrow work ok

1 is ok

Play is like the play/pause button, this is the key above 'add'

Fast rew is the one under Mult (display)

Fast fw is the button above Fn

Custom10 is the top middle button

Custom11 is 'add' (remote address)

Custom12 is FN

Custom13 doesn't do anything

I tried to learn keys again but the Logitech server seems to get maintainance, so no go.

André

alanrichey42 Master

I have attached 2 pictures, one is of the dvr remote and the other is the Sling remote.

Now you can compare the layout better.

Good, very useful.    A few questions: 

1.   Is the top middle button the Power button ?

2.   What is the function of the button just below the Search button ?

3.   What is the function of the button with 2 arrows, just above the up arrow ?

4,   What is the function of the button just above that one as well ?

5.   Which is the Stop button ?

My latest attempt is attached:

1.   Most of the numbers are guesses.

2.   The Add function is mapped to the Guide button,

3.   The FN function is mapped to the Menu button.

4.   The Escape function is mapped to the Exit button.

I don't have codes yet for:

1.  Search

2.  Multi

3.  -/--

4.  The 'unknown' buttons in my questions above.

Once you have tested it and answered the questions I'll try and figure out the rest,

Cheers

Al

dutchandre Newbie

Wow, you're very close to what it should be

All number and navigation keys are ok.

No, this dvr has no power button, that key now calls the Record mode (new menu window)

That's slow forwards playback (frame by frame), can you place at the grey next track button?

3.   What is the function of the button with 2 arrows, just above the up arrow ?

This one is play fast forwards like a cassette player

Play slow backwards, can you place it at the grey prev track button?

5.   Which is the Stop button ?

That's the play/pause one above the add button

1.   Most of the numbers are guesses.

I think you can guess pretty good

2.   The Add function is mapped to the Guide button,

That's ok, I hardly use that button anyway

3.   The FN function is mapped to the Menu button.

Fine

4.   The Escape function is mapped to the Exit button.

Very nice, that's exactly what it does

The pause button now toggles play/pause and that's ok.

What doesn't work out is the round button in the center of the 4 nav keys.

It should open the main menu and it is 'ok' but now it acts like the Search symbol on the dvr remote.

So far it's the most usefull revision because all the nav and number keys work correct

Tx

André

alanrichey42 Master

No, this dvr has no power button, that key now calls the Record mode (new menu window)

What should it do ?

That's slow forwards playback (frame by frame), can you place at the grey next track button?

Play slow backwards, can you place it at the grey prev track button?

Not yet, as I don't have the codes.  However, I see that the codes range from 130-158 and there are 6 that are not used so I am quietly confident that tese 2 functions are one of those codes.  So what I have done is map those codes to the Custom buttons (tap on the Menu button at the to of the remote and select Custom.  So please test all those buttons and see what they do.

This one is play fast forwards like a cassette player

I thought that Fast Forward was the button just above the FN button.

What doesn't work out is the round button in the center of the 4 nav keys.

It should open the main menu and it is 'ok' but now it acts like the Search symbol on the dvr remote.

OK, Menu function mapped to that and the Search function mapped to the Red button.

So now I need to know what the Custom buttons do.

Al

dutchandre Newbie

Hi

I have re-assigned the knobs with a 'database' mark and I repeated the not working ones.

Hope it gets better, the already learned knobs do work fine so kudo's for the nice work!

This time I didn't need to repeat knobs so I suppose they were recognized better then the first time.

André