6 Replies Latest reply: Mar 27, 2017 6:45 PM by Rich107951 RSS

Chromecast Scrunching has begun again.

Golfbal1 Newbie

at 11:45am 1.19.2016 out of the blue the infamous Chromecast 2 scrunching began again.  Last week the problem happened right about the same time on the same day.  I believe Sling is doing something on their end and is clipping us. Then when we say something they simply say it is us and everything works perfectly for them.

• Re: Chromecast Scrunching has begun again.
          Golfbal1 Newbie

Here it is January 24, 2016 and the Chromecast 2 scrunching issue continues.

• Re: Chromecast Scrunching has begun again.
            Rich107951

I believe I found out the issue, and unfortunately without technical know-how, its a crappy fix.

I think it has something to do with the bit rate auto adjustments. I don't think there is anyway to turn this feature off on a Chromecast (I have seen a 1Mbit limit on the android app under options), but the video is suppose to adjust to whatever bandwidth is available, when the bit-rate goes above a certain range in my case above 10 Mbit/s it caused the screen scrunch on my Chromecast (1.0) within 5 minutes of viewing. VERY ANNOYING!!!!!!

In order to stop this from happening I discovered limiting the Chromecasts bandwidth to 3-4 Mbit/s caused the stream to remain constant and without issues. (I did not test above 4Mbit/s if anyone wants to try higher rates)

THATS THE ISSUE, unless you have a fancy router that can limit bandwidth for certain devices on your network, I don't have any other suggestions for you.

I used a modified router running software called PFSense to limit the bandwidth for 1 specific device, in this case my Chromecast.

I hope this helped someone on Slingobox Forums/Google Searching