26 Replies Latest reply: Aug 28, 2010 4:19 PM by eferz RSS

When will Sling's servers be fixed?

joeg679 Newbie

I haven't been able to use Slingbox on my iphone for a few weeks and it is annoying.  Is there any word on when this will be cleared up?  Thanks

• Re: When will Sling's servers be fixed?
          alanrichey42 Master

Unfortunately the official line is that everything is fixed, so you might not get any answer. 

Personally I am still in regular e-mail contact with Sling Support trying to solve my problem with the servers, although it is now looking as though it is an internet traffic load problem and the new servers are just not as capable/responsive as the old ones.  

eferz Expert

I bet you that their new load balancer is different from the original site, and they can't figure out how to properly tune it.  I see that problem all the time with network administrators that don't know how to properly tune network balancing appliances.  At one of my old jobs, they had to hire consultants to teach our NAs to properly tune the BigIPs for our application servers.  I'm sure it was embarassing at first, but in less than a week they were able to get it running.  Of course, it can also be from the System Administrator problem where they didn't anticipate the load and did not have allocate enough resources in their farm to support the load.

Either way it boils down to IT incompetence.

Sandee

I was one of the people affected a few weeks back by the service problems. I couldn't connect through my local network nor from the outside.

But after three or four days the problem was fixed.

Suddenly, yesterday, the problem happened again. This time I'm on the road, so I can't tell what is with the LAN.

The only thing I can see is that the error message that came up yesterday, no longer comes up.

The Sling Player says it is connecting and then the entire window goes blank.

Eventually the little message in the bottom left goes to Not Connected.

Not fun when you're stuck in bad hotels. And even worse when you want to watch the Emmy's tomorrow night.

joeg679 Newbie

Ok, I just went into Setup Assistant and manually changed my ip  address to the one that my iphone is using.  I turned off wifi on my phone and was able to connect to slingbox.  A few weeks ago, my phone was connected to a different ip address, it was mostly the same, but a different last digit.  I don't know how to control what ip address my phone connects to and do not want to keep having to change it.  Also, if I am on 3g, what does it matter what ip address my slingplayer is connected to?

eferz Expert

joeg679 wrote:

Ok, I just went into Setup Assistant and manually changed my ip  address to the one that my iphone is using.  I turned off wifi on my phone and was able to connect to slingbox.  A few weeks ago, my phone was connected to a different ip address, it was mostly the same, but a different last digit.  I don't know how to control what ip address my phone connects to and do not want to keep having to change it.  Also, if I am on 3g, what does it matter what ip address my slingplayer is connected to?

I think the problem here is that your port forwarding rules becomes invalid when your Slingbox's DHCP address expired.  Now that you've changed your Slingbox's IP address to a static address, you shouldn't have a problem.

To understand it better, all the devices in your private network all have different private IP address but share the same public IP address.  The public IP address is assigned to the public side of your by the Internet Service Provider (ISP).

So, when a device on the internet needs to communciate with a device in your private network, it must refer to your router's public IP address.  Port Forwarding enables a device outside of your network to communicate with a device inside your network through the port numbers.

This is why you assign the port number to ip address association.  However, if your Slingbox's private IP address changes due to the DHCP service then the port forwarding rules will no longer be valid.