9 Replies Latest reply: Aug 28, 2010 10:34 AM by eferz RSS

Software errors

computog

All-

I am running Windows 7 Pro 64 bit.  I can install the latest version of Sling Player to my laptop but only to a point.  After I chose "my slingbox", it tells me there are errors connecting.  I have a desktop computer running XP Pro that has absolutely no issues installing and playing the software.  Can someone tell me how to get around this on Windows 7, or is it still a known issue?

Thanks

Steve.

• Re: Software errors
          eferz Expert

What is the exact syntax error?

computog

I'll need to go through to that point again and will take a screen shot.  It will take me a few minutes...

computog

I hope this is readable- if not here is the exact error:

You must install Windows Media decoders prior to using SlingPlayer. Please run Windows Media Player or download the decoders.

Advanced users: the error code is 0x9234015f.

I have tried to find Media Player for this OS, but have had trouble with it.  I have never had an issue with Slingbox before Windows 7.

file:///C:/Users/Steve/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.png

eferz Expert

[Advanced users: the error code is 0x8004025f.]

You  must install Windows Media decoders prior to using SlingPlayer. Please  run Windows Media Player, or download/install the decoders yourself.

http://support.slingmedia.com/get/KB-5000017.html

Help with error: Windows Media decoders

When using SlingPlayer for Windows, are you getting an error message telling you that your computer requires Windows Media decoders?

The error message

In some cases, when you install SlingPlayer for Windows, or the first  time you try to run SlingPlayer for Windows, you might see this error message:

You must install Windows Media decoders prior to using SlingPlayer. Please run Windows Media Player or download the decoders.

Why am I seeing this?

You're seeing this message because SlingPlayer for Windows relies on  some Windows software to display TV images. Right now, SlingPlayer isn't  able to find that software. It could also mean that you have the  software installed, but it is somehow unusable (outdated, damaged, or  corrupted).

What can I do?

The error message says that one possible solution is running Windows  Media Player. (Note that it doesn't say that you need to install Windows  Media Player ... just run it).

When you do that, Windows Media Player discovers that the necessary  software is not available, and it downloads and installs it for you. You  can then quit Windows Media Player and re-launch SlingPlayer for  Windows.

computog

That is what it says exactly.  I'm an experienced user, but I have never dealt with Media Decoders.  Advice?

eferz Expert

The error message says that one possible  solution is running Windows  Media Player. (Note that it doesn't say  that you need to install Windows  Media Player ... just run it).

When  you do that, Windows Media Player discovers that the necessary   software is not available, and it downloads and installs it for you.  You  can then quit Windows Media Player and re-launch SlingPlayer for   Windows.