38 Replies Latest reply: Sep 18, 2010 1:49 AM by alanrichey42 RSS

Slingcatcher Remote buttons and VirginMedia V+

uksling

Hi, I have recently got a Slingcatcher and have successfully connected it to the network and got it talking to the Slingbox which is connected to my Virgin Media V+ box. All good.

However I have found that I can only programme a few of the buttons on the remote control. This leaves a number of buttons on the remote control unassigned that could be used to replicate V+ buttons, namely:

1. SC Remote: Menu button --> V+ Remote: Home button

2. SC Remote: Back button --> V+ Remote: Back button

3. SC Remote: Page Up button --> V+ Remote: Red button (Pages up in the programme guide)

4. SC Remote: Page Down button --> V+ Remote: Green button (Pages down in the programme guide)

5. SC Remote: Enter button --> V+ Remote: V+ button

6. SC Remote: Clear button --> V+ Remote: TV button (takes you out of any guide menu and back to the TV channel also clears the mini guide from teh screen)

7. SC Remote: Jump button --> V+ Remote: Favorites button

I also find that Pause on the SC Remote doesn't do anything.

Anyone know how I can get the remote to action these commands or how to get this in front of the Sling dev chaps/chapesses?

Thanks.

• Re: Slingcatcher Remote buttons and VirginMedia V+
          callanish Apprentice

I'm afraid due to the catcher not being much of a priority anymore, we're kind of stuck with what we have with the slingcatcher remote, as outside of programming the vol and mute buttons for the tv, the other non-functioning slingcatcher buttons with the V+ box are useless . Some of the features you mentioned ( back, the V+ button, home button for tv guide, Fav's, etc), I have always just accessed them through the opt menu / button on the SC remote and scroll with the left and right arrows to choose the function. Other functions like pause are accessed differently on the catcher's remote. Pressing the play button again on the slingcatcher remote works as pause on the V+ box. Frankly, I doubt if sling dev is ever going to fix these catcher remote / V+ issues, and even though those specific buttons on the SC remote; page up, page down, back, etc don't correspond to anything on the V+ box ( The colour buttons on the SC remote are still useful ), indirectly most of them ( back, favs, home ) are still functional through the opt button which is why I don't think they'll be any further remote code development between the catcher's remote and the V+ box in order to have all the remote functions on the SC remote work the way in which they are supposed to with the V+ box.

alanrichey42 Master

OK, I think there might be a bit of a misunderstanding here.   The SC Remote is simply a physical representation of the default (basic) remote you see on the screen when you are viewing in SlingPlayer or on the Web-based player (In SlingPlayer select the Connect > Remote keys menu option and you can select the basic remote).   So the problems and limitations you are having are actually in the Remote code that is downloaded to the Slingbox when you ran the setup routine and selected (I assume) 'Cable', 'Virgin' and 'V+' and nothing at all to do with the SlingCatcher.

Now that aspect is totally customisable by using a Custom Remote and tweaking the buttons.  However, after analyising your comments and the remote, here are some thoughts:

1.   Sling have mapped the Back button on the V+ remote to Code 36, which is the Exit command rather than the more normal Code 21, which is Last Channel.  But if that is what the 'Back' button actually does on the V+ box (which I know it does on the Sky box), i.e. skip back a screen when working through menus, rather than going to the previous channel, then I would have thought that was correct and the Back button on the SC Remote should work.

2.   The V+ button has been mapped to Code 69, which is not normally used, so will not be on the SC Remote and can only be actioned from the OPT menu.   But that can be reprogrammed using a Custom Remote.

3.   I agree the Fav button is not accessible on the SC remote, only on the Opt menu.

4.   You say "..Other functions like pause are accessed differently on the catcher's  remote. Pressing the play button again on the SlingCatcher remote works  as pause on the V+ box.."  but on my representation of the V+ remote, the Play & Pause are on the same button so that behaviour is correct, as both the Play & Pause buttons on the SC will be defined with the same code.

5.   I agree that Page+/- on the SC remote are pointless, as they are no Page+/- commands on the V+ box, so those could be programmed for something else.

So, the bottom line is if either of you are prepared to work with me on this I reckon we can produce a Custom Remote for the Virgin V+ box that not only looks and works identical to the official one but also maps some of the missing commands onto the SlingCatcher Remote.

HOWEVER, thiis will take a bit of time and effort in testing and I do not want you to start and lose interest and waste my time, so only say yes if you really mean it and intend to follow it through

Al

tonyintenerife

Hi I have exactly this problem, we arrived at our home in Tenerife and connected the Slingcatcher to my Slingbox perfectly great picture etc due to the 50mb broadband collection from Virgin Media in the UK. I have reprogrammed the sling catcher remote as far as I can but some buttons just don't do anything as you have explained.

I really need the Guide button to work as seeing my recorded programs is really confuluted having to press opt and then scrolling to Virginmedia does give the list but buttons like up, down and back don't work you have to press 1 to see recorded programs by date etc.

We are here for 8 months now so I would be really keen to work with you to get a custom remote for my Sling Catcher.

Any help and advice much appreciated.

Tony

uksling

Hi there, sorry for the delayed reply but I definately think we could work together to improve this. Thanks for your generous offer of your time let me know how we can get this going.

With ref to the page up and page down buttons you are correct there are no actual page up and down buttons on the V+ remote but when you are in the programme guide you can use the red and green butttons for page up and down. I have a Harmony One remote downstairs and on this I have programmed the red and green buttons to page up and down purely for ease of use and wanted to do the same for the physical SC remote.

You are correct about the Pause button so nothing to do here.

I am fairly technical and familiar with mac's and pcs and basic command line stuff so feel free to send me some pointers on how to dig out the code stuff and we can share the workload.

Thanks,

Jason.

alanrichey42 Master

OK, this might take a couple of attempts, but here is the first try.  The most important thing to check is that the correct remote skin appears in Slingplayer and all the buttons work as advertised.

Then, as regards your suggestions

>>>1. SC Remote: Menu button --> V+ Remote: Home button

Done

Done I tihnk

3. SC Remote: Page Up button --> V+ Remote: Red button (Pages up in the programme guide)

4. SC Remote: Page Down button --> V+ Remote: Green button (Pages down in the programme guide)

Done

Done

6.  SC Remote: Clear button --> V+ Remote: TV button (takes you out of  any guide menu and back to the TV channel also clears the mini guide  from teh screen)

7. SC Remote: Jump button --> V+ Remote: Favorites button

Not sure I can do those yet.  I'll check for the next version.

Al

uksling

O.k, done a bit of testing:

>>>1. SC Remote: Menu button --> V+ Remote: Home button

Works.

No joy. Hit Menu on the SC remote and then tried Back button on SC remote but nothing. Selected OPT and then Back from the list of commands and it took me out of Home menu.

Works but the wrong way round. Page Up should move down through the prog guide etc. Just need to reverse what you did for each button.

Works. Cool.

Great start Al. Might have a bit of time tomorrow to test some more. Cheers.

alanrichey42 Master

uksling wrote:

No joy. Hit Menu on the SC remote and then tried Back button on SC remote but nothing. Selected OPT and then Back from the list of commands and it took me out of Home menu.

OK.   New version attached.  To be sure and avoid any caching problems, actually delete the old BIN files, then put the new ones in, then re-run the video sources routine as before, resetting the associated input before you set it up again.

This one reverses the Page+/- and I 'think' it puts Favourites onto the Jump button ?

Still haven't has any bright ideas on why the Back doesn't work.

BTW, I assume the remote on SLingplayer looks and works OK ?   I don't want to trash that in the process of tweaking the Slingcatcher,

tonyintenerife

Hi thanks for the attachments and advice, I have copied the bin files to the folder Slingplayer/SBAV folder (I did try to extract them from Winzip to the folder but got a message saying I needed administrator priveledges?) I dragged them into the folder instead so hopefully that is the same thing?

My Menu button on the SC catcher is now Home on the V+ box, The red & green buttons do page up and down correctly in the TV guide. I have also found that the bottom right button on the SC remote "Enter" now gives me the recorded programs page so that is handy, It is a shame that Guide just brings up what Virgin call mini guide which is just the current page information really.

my remote for the V+ box is slightly different to the one that shows on the laptop but that could be because my box is a V+HD box?

The back button is still not working so am having to use the opt bar where the back button does work. I noticed that we have some custom buttons on the opt bar are they not doing anything yet?

Appreciate the help so far, if you can sort the back button that would be really handy!

Tony

alanrichey42 Master
                                        my remote for the V+ box is slightly different to the one that shows on the laptop but that could be because my box is a V+HD box?

The back button is still not working so am having to use the opt bar where the back button does work. I noticed that we have some custom buttons on the opt bar are they not doing anything yet?

I can't find the V+HD box when I try setup.   Did you have the correct remote showing before you installed my files ?

You can forget the Custom buttons at this stage.   This remote I am producing is designed to work under ALL circumstances, not just yours.  This includes using the default (basic) remote  (In Slingplayer 20 select Slingbox > Remote Control and select Basic Remote), and that is where the Custom buttons are used.

So, is the Back button on the SC not working the only problem we have left ?

Do you get a word displayed on the screen when you press it ?

And I assume the Back button on the Slingplayer remote works ?

tonyintenerife

Hi I have been using the V+ remote on the laptop that seemed to work fine I think the V+HD boxes are new so maybe not on your system yet. As far as I am concerned it is just the back button that isn't working and no I don't get a word on the screen when I press the button. I do with most of the other buttons.

Thanks again

Tony

alanrichey42 Master

It's not 'my' system.   I have ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with Sling, just a user like you who enjoys tinkering

I still haven't figured out how I am going to work out what function is mapped to the 'Back' button on the Slingcatcher.   I'll keep thinking and hope for a bright idea.

tonyintenerife

In that case I appreciate your help even more as I am sure Jason does and anyone else who goes on to Virgin from Sky.

Good luck with the brain wave regarding the back button!

Tony

alanrichey42 Master

I'm afraid I have gone as far as I can this week.   I happen to be in the USA at the moment with access only to US Slingboxes, and I cannot get the correct remote display as Virgin is not a recognised manufacturer on the US database.   I have proved that when I install those BIN files on my US Slingbox and use the default remote that the Back button is sending Code 34, and that if I control it via my Slingcatcher that when I press the Back button the word 'Back' appears on the screen and sends Code 34.  When I get to the UK next week I can check what code is sent from the proper Virgin remote skin and check with my Slingcatcher there.

Just out of interest, I see from a note in my working that for non-US Slingboxes I should be using a different code.  Can you try the attached ones and see if they have a different effect ?

As before, put them in the \SBAV\ folder and re-run the video setup but use C1104 as the code.

uksling

Hi guys, have at last had time to test. The C1104 files seem to be working fine. Back button works great taking you back through menus and when actually watching a channel selecting back takes you to the previously watched channel so all good.

Page Up & Down are working correctly.

Jump button takes you to Favorites.

Enter button takers you to V+ (Recorded programmes)

Only issue is that the Clear button is working the same as the Back button. I'd like it to work as TV does in the softmenu as this clears the miniguide or is a quick way to get out of menus and back to the channel.

So just the Clear button and it all looks good.

Thanks Al. Top job.