4 Replies Latest reply: Aug 26, 2010 5:58 PM by eferz RSS

Multiroom

Kynao

Would it be possible to add multiroom capabilities into slingbox products ? and using our iphone / android and so on as the solution to remote multiroom configuration. We could multicast to send the same video signal to different rooms or select the video source per room...

• Re: Multiroom
          eferz Expert

You can use a third-party virtual web cam software like mReplay Broadcast or Webcam Max to record or rebroadcast any portion of your desktop like Slingplayer Desktop.  Also, Monsoon Media (http://www.monsoonmultimedia.com/) has several products which can support local multicast as well as recording capabilities.  You might consider looking them up since you had a few posts that are relative to functionaly that already host by their products.

Kynao

Thanks eferz, i would look into this right away.

I forgot to suggest the following : Considering video input problem, that is if i'm using slingbox mobile, the person at home won't be very pleased so without talking about multiple tuners and so on, what about adding into slingbox a video output in which we can plug a computer video output ? I explain : many adsl box allow multiroom, not by adding harware, but just allowing computer to use a browser to access video channels so the idea here is to be able to use the computer video signal so that the people at home can use the tv while we, in a mobile situation, just rely on the computer browser.

Kynao

What are the main difference between Monsoon Media and slingbox ? At a first look, it seems slingbox plus recording capabilities, am i wrong ?

eferz Expert

A few differences.

Sling Media uses dynamic encoding to attempt to achieve the best quality of picture for any given hardware and network condition.  The algorithms they use depend on the feedback of a single client and the resolution can be as high as 1920x544.  Also Sling Media is very conscious about unauthorized access of the stream, so they subject the stream to encyrption.  These two reasons prevent the Sling Media from being able to multicast.

Monsoon Media uses a fixed encoding and doesn't encrypt their streams.  This allows them to use multicasting to support multiple viewing with the local subnet.  They also provide the ability to save their streams to disc for later viewing.  However, the maximum resolution of a monsoon media box is 720x640.

Each company has similar products but different design implementations.  This provides them their own niche market based on the individual's needs.