6 Replies Latest reply: Oct 12, 2010 7:19 PM by Randgalt Branched to a new discussion. RSS

Slingbox cannot hold connection

cubsblue

I am having a problem.  New power supply makes no difference.  It  started a few weeks ago and has gotten progressively worse.  It was  disconnecting after a few minutes of viewing.  Now it disconnects almost  as soon as you try to connect.  Tried a hard reset and that did not  help.  In fact it cannot stay online long enough for a new setup to take  place.  It will only stay online  15 to 45 seconds.

• Re: Slingbox cannot hold connection
          cubsblue

I should have mentioned I have disabled all security on the network.  Tried a new router.  Tried a new cable.  Tried different computers.  Everything suggested on this board that I could find.  From reading many posts I think it may be time for a recall on the Solo.

MikeKV

When all has been tried with no luck I've read on "other" forums that there could be one or two reasons for your problem.

1) A bad power supply

2) One or two bad internal capacitors - I can not confirm that this fixes the problem nor will I guarantee it although there have been reports that others have fixed their problem by using this solution.

Your other option, which is recommended, is to call Slingbox and pay a fee for support.

Hope this helps,

cubsblue

It's not the power supply.  From what I can tell from reading here it is a capacitor problem.  Seems a recall is in order as I can buy a replacement for less than $90.00.

MikeKV

Here's what I would do if my box was out of warranty - I'd open the box and check all the capacitors for "bulging". If I saw any that looked suspect I'd either buy new ones and change them out or have someone do it for me. If the replacement doesn't work I'd still be in the boat of having to buy a whole new slingbox.

I had read that if someone calls slingbox support, pays the support fee, and then slingbox determines that its a hardware issue slingbox will refund the support fee and send a replacement. I'm not sure how true that is but you could try this first.

eferz Expert

As I understand it is not entirely uncommon for malfunctioning AC adapter to cause the same symptoms.  On the bottom of the Slingbox, you should see the power requirements; voltage, amps, and polarity.  Make sure the AC adapter connected to your Slingbox has the same output sepecifications. Otherwuse, if you have a compatible power supply then you can test it with your Slingbox to see if there's any change.

Randgalt

I, too, keep getting freezes and disconnections. There is no consistency to it. It's random. Please help.