11 Replies Latest reply: Aug 30, 2010 7:22 PM by jwilson03 RSS

Why Can't I Sometimes Operate the Remote or the Guide?

jwilson03 Newbie

I log in and get the last channel I had. No matter how I manipulate the remote or click on the channel on the guide, the channel stays on where it was. This happens too often for me not be frustrated...Help!

Please reply to: thailend19@yahoo.com

• Re: Why Can't I Sometimes Operate the Remote or the Guide?
          alanrichey42 Master

If this is intermittent have you checked your IR Blasters are fully plugged in and working (Watch them thorugh a digital camera and when you tap a button you should see a healthy white flash)

eferz Expert

If it is the remote AND guide, it could be that the Slingplayer is having a difficult time reading the information off of the Slingbox's flash memory.

georoy

I'm having the exact same problem trying to watch my Massachusett's based Slingbox from our Florida home.  The only channel I'm getting from my Directtv receiver is CNBC and when I try to use the on-screen remote it doesn't allow me to change channels or call up a guide.  Suggestions??? 

jwilson03 Newbie

Maybe we should start a Slingbox One Trick Pony Forum. I'm no techie, just someone talk us thru the correct procedure. I have an HD Pro version of Slingbox, if that helps. I know I DID get the change in channels for two months until last week. Please keep me posted. Here and my E-mail address is

thailend19@yahoo.com    - and thanks in advance..Glad to know I'm not the only one...

alanrichey42 Master

I think we have to be careful here and make sure we aren't talking about 2 different things. 

If you cannot change channels or get the guide but all the other buttons on the remote work correctly then eferz is right, that is something amiss inside your slingbox, and that is what this thread is about.

But if NONE of the buttons work then that is a completely different thing and nothing to do with this thread.  In that case you should check out this thread:  https://community.sling.com/thread/3300?tstart=0

eferz Expert

I'm not sure they're having the same issue.  Actually, I'm not even sure if my statement was even relevant,  Let me elaborate a little further.  There are two seperate "guides" the Electronic Program Guide (EPG) which is provided by Zap2it on the Slingplayer client.  Then there's the EPG which is a part of the set-top box's internal menuing system provided by your television service provider.

Each of you seem to have different symptoms.  It sounded like jwilson03 was having intermittent problems with the the Remote Control and the Zap2It guide.  Whereas, georoy sounds like his remote control isn't actually controlling the box at all.

I believe both of you should follow Alan's recommendation and first figure out whether or not your IR Blasters are functioning properly.  These troubleshooting articles should help you determin their operation.

That way we can at least determine if the IR Blasters are working at all.

For jwilson03, since it sounds like an intermittent problem.  If the IR Blasters are functioning consistently and not intermittenly, then you might consider putting a blanket over the IR Blaster and the IR sensor of the set-top box.  This way we can determine if you're IR signals are being disrupted by outside forces.  It wouldn't be the first time that under certain conditions that ambient light is interferring with the IR signals.

For georoy, I don't know if you've ever been able to control your set-top box from the Slingplayer.  If you had opened this post in a your own thread, I would have thought that you're having problems with either remote address pairing or that your set-top box is set to only acknowledge RF signals.  There are hundreds of threads which resolve the problem with DirecTV's address pairing and RF remotes.  The idea is that the Slingbox's remotes default to address 1 and are only capable of providing an IR signal.

Also, please understand that neither Alan nor I work for Sling Media.  We're just helpful owners of Slingboxes that take timeout of our lives to help people in need of assistance.  Neither of us are being paid to answer your question, so don't be surprise if it takes us a while to respond to your questions.

jwilson03 Newbie

First, I'm grateful for your help. I am 10,000 miles away from the SlingBox, in Thailand, so all I can do is to forward your instructions re IR Blaster cable to my friend, who can check it out.

Let me try to give you as much detailed info as possible. After installing the SlingBox in May, I left for Thailand and logged into the Slingbox website. I had no trouble changing channels, using either the remote or the Guide. About a week ago, I got a channel I never get - the Disney Channel - which has stayed there, irregardless of how I manipulate the Guide or Remote. I can access other buttons on the screen. This morning, I moved out of Mozilla Firefox and logged into SlingBox using Internet Explorer. Instead of the Disney Channel, I got TBS(later, thru Firefox it gave me the same TBS channel). The difference was that my mouse on IE changed icons to a + and it could not produce anything - not the Remote, not the Guide or any other buttons.

And that's where I am now.