3 Replies Latest reply: Aug 25, 2010 5:06 PM by eferz RSS

Last attempt at getting support

tk76

Backround:  Own an 11 month old Solo that has not worked well for the past 6 months.  Previously owned a Classic that worked well for 1 year then slowly died over the following year.

For the past 6 months had the "optimizing" issue where the player or sling.com would stream well at 1500K+ and then after about 5 minutes would start freezing for 2-4 miintes while "optimizing."  Sometimes would log me out/time-out.  Then would restart very slowly and get back up to a good stream in 1 minutes, just to freeze the next minute.  Worse on sports.

Then Sling went down a few weeks, so I waited.  Now Sling is back up, and the problem is worse- to where the actual box turns off every few minutes.  This is exactly what happened with my Slinbox Classic before it completely died.  I presume it is a mechanical issue, but who knows.  I won't speculate (although I have a hunch )  Also, my component and s-video inputs no longer register.

I am under warranty- but apparently have to pay $30 to use my warranty... and give up several hours of my time before I can actually get my Solo fixed.  I realize that the $30 would be refunded- but again, I'm not willing to risk my time and money when I have a machine "under warranty" and there are other products aside from a Slingbox.

Are there any other option- because I have already spent a lot of money (and time) as a loyal Sling customer- but I know there are other options besides a Slingbox.  I would prefer to remain a customer- but right now I do not feel like Sling wants my business...  please advise.

• Re: Last attempt at getting support
          eferz Expert

Is this happening locally as well as remotely?

tk76

A bit of a mixed bag.  Remote viewing has more of the "optimizing issue" but when the machine "crashes" and reboots that obvioulsy effects both local and remote viewing.  The crashing behavior is somewhat new- and I will try a prolonged local/home viewing tonight to see how that goes.  Mostly I use the Slingbox Solo remotely, so I'll have to see how often the problem occurs locally.

eferz Expert

Over the past month we've been having problems with Sling Media's servers.  Apparently, they had moved their services from the Sling Media offices in San Mateo to the Echostar factility in Colorado.  While Sling Media moderators seem to believe the services have been restored, I seem to still be fielding help for people still affected by these problems.

One thing, I may suggest is to try using

As this can help us use a process of elimination as whether the Sling Accounts services is giving you problems.  Also, if you can get the public IP of your router or private IP address of your Slingbox.  Then we can create the respective entries to eliminate issues you may have with the Slingbox Locator Service.

If your currently at a remote location of your Slingbox, try opening the statistics window from Web Slingplayer client.  After connecting to your Slingbox through (http://watch.slingbox.com), hold down the [Ctrl] key and press on the streaming window.  This will bring up the statistics window, the value for steam type may help us understand your remote connectivity problems better.