16 Replies Latest reply: Mar 13, 2011 7:20 PM by lakingsfan RSS

Unable to connect to Slingbox. Connection timed out.  Please try again later

woodphil

Hello,

Im hoping someone can help me.

I have a slingbox solo and when I connect using my laptop it works fine.  When I attempt to connect through my Nokia n95 using sling mobile I get the following message.

Unable to connect to slingbox.  Connection timed out. Please try again later.

It goes through the process of locating the slingbox, connecting to slingbox but it cannot get as far as starting the slingbox.

Has anybody had any similar problems or know of any solutions to this problem.  i have paid 30 quid and i cant use it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

• Re: Unable to connect to Slingbox. Connection timed out.  Please try again later
          alanrichey42 Master

I'm getting this on my PC as well.   As you might be aware we have had a terrible 2 weeks while Sling migrated their servers, and everyone has been having problems.   The official Sling view is that it has all been fixed, but it doesn't appear to be in my case.  I am still working with the support staff to try and figure out why I still keep having this problem.   As I get the message intermittently, and depending on time of day and location, I have concluded it is a timing problem with internet bottlenecks and that the new server is more sensitive (or slower) than the old one.  Although if you are accessing it through the same WiFi hotspot with your laptop and N95 that wouldn't explain it.

All I can offer I'm afraid.

• Re: Unable to connect to Slingbox. Connection timed out.  Please try again later
              woodphil

Hi Alan,

Thanks for answering and getting back to me.

Hopefully we can sort trough this and get it fixed.

One thing that may be important for my case and im not sure if it is relevant to your case but my slingbox was working fine on my laptop and on my Nokia N95 using slingmobile about 7 weeks ago, then it just stopped working and there was no signal.  I asked my Mam to look into it in England and it turns out there was a problem with one of the plugs so they sent out a new one.  The slingbox now works but ever since we got the new plug I have been unable to connect using sling mobile as it takes too long to connect and the connection times out.

Hopefully somebody can assist us with this problem.

Thanks

Phil

alanrichey42 Master

I just spent 10 minutes trying to unsuccessfully connect with my remote Slingbox so I am reasonably certain it is the Sling servers at fault.

For Sling:   Using Slingplayer 2.0 I successfully log on and see the Slingbox Directory.  I select one of my remote Slingboxes and the 'Not Connected' message in the bottom left of the screen disappears, but crucially, no new message appears.   Eventually it times out.

I then connect using Slingplayer V1.5 and 'Direct Connection' and obviously it connects instantly as it is not using your server.   If I then shut down and restart using Slingplayer 2.0 then as the 'Not Connected' message disappears and the 'Connecting' message instantly appears and then everythig is fine.

So:

1.    Whatever is 'hanging' is whatever you do between the 'Not Connected' message being wiped and the 'Connecting' message appears.

2.    By connecting using a Direct Connection in V1.5 I appear to be somehow kicking your system into life.   Am I moving to the head of a queue somewhere ?   Or refreshing something in your system ?

Please let me know if you need any more testing done.

Apprentice

Hi, woodphil.

We would like to know if the information provided here helped you to fix the reported issue. Just make sure to post your results!

scoogie_scott

Hello all,

Has this problem actually been resolved yet? I am having the same exact probem with my Nokia N85. It use to work fine, but now all I ever get is that the connection has timed out. My slingplayer desktop, webplayer, and ipod touch all work fine. Please help!!!!!!!!!!

Scott

woodphil

THis problem is still not fixed for me, has anybody else had any luck with it.

If its not fixed im going to request my money back as sling mobile is completely useless at present.

ACC769463 Newbie

After updating my Slinbox Pro HD firmare my sling mobile player on my n95 isn't working anymore, before that, it worked pretty fine on my 3g connection, now I just can watch on my wifi network. This is a problem related to the firmare update, because my brother has the same slingbox and he hasn't updated his slingbox and I could connect to it with no problem over my 3g on my N95

What can I do?

Thanks in advance.

woodphil

Has anybody found a solution to this yet?

I have had a look at the internet viewing information that was posted and I really don't know where to start.

I have two mobil phones both with sling mobile installed, this cost me 60 pounds all up and at present they are completely useless as I cannot connect to the slingbox.  Again my laptop and my netbook work fine, the problem must be sling mobile.

Can somebody from sling support please provide clear concise instructions on what we need to do to get this working as it's unnaceptable for a product that we have paid for to just stop working all of a sudden, no explanation or advice is given just check out your remote viewing.  Not good enough

lakingsfan

I found a solution that works for me.I hope that this will help everyone else as well.

This problem started when I updated to the new versions.

Apparently, the IP Address for my Slingbox was changed when I updated.

When you start, SlingPlayer Mobile

1) Choose Options

2) Slingbox Directory.

3) When the Slingbox Directory shows, highlight the Name of your Slingbox and choose Options.

4) Choose Edit Settings.

You'll see the Slingbox IP Address listed in four boxes.

You can find the updated Slingbox IP Address on your account Slingbox Support Tab on the slingbox.com Support Tab if you don't have it.

Once I changed the IP Address to match, of course it connected like it used to.

I hope this helps everyone else!

It was a relatively easy fix once I figured out the IP Address was changed.