2 Replies Latest reply: Jan 20, 2016 5:17 AM by eric_b RSS

Slingbox 500 releases/vision for the future

eric_b Newbie

Hi everyone,

As someone who is new to Slingbox, I'm getting a little concerned about how transparent the process for feature/bug requests is for users.  Here are a few observations:

a) When you open a ticket with Slingmedia, you receive no updates on the ticket.  You have to constantly ping them for a response.  Responses that come from 'engineering' are vague like 'network must be slow' even if it's clear that the person is using up-to-date equipment.

b) New companion products are constantly being added/updated, but it's not clear whether the company is accommodating the changes or if they are waiting for complaints.  Here are a few examples:

1) Firefox plugin - Since the plugin was not signed, FF won't allow it to be installed.  But, I haven't seen 'we're working on it', 'we realize it's a problem', etc.

2) Apple TV/Roku 4 - I don't own the Apple TV, but I have a Roku 2.  It doesn't seem like Sling will acknowledge or announce that they are working on new features.  It would help quell the complaints that are coming in, right?

c) New standards.

In 2016, 1080p is basically the new standard with 4K getting ramped up.  It would be good for Sling to acknowledge that they are working to keep the Slingbox products up-to-date and announcing that they are working on updates. 720p on the LAN is 5 years ago.

IMHO, I would probably purchase more Slingbox products and apps if I have a feeling that Sling is responsive to customers and has a forward-looking vision to continue to support and improve their product line.  Right now, I'm not getting the warm and fuzzies after my limited exposure to the Slingbox world.  And, after reading through the forums and seeing people basically begging for new features with no response, I'm thinking that's par for the course.

I guess my question is... for those that have been here longer, am I wrong here?  Is there a typical release schedule (quarterly, semi-annually, etc)?  Do problems typically get resolved in a short amount of time?  Do new features get added regularly?  For the SB 500, the only updates that I see recently are Blockbuster On Demand and Youtube.  Basically, I have other avenues where I can get those services.  It seems like the Marketing folks came in and said... stop working on core product issues; add features so we can say that we added features recently.

In essence... Sling has a product that nobody else has.  It's pretty ingenious actually.  Especially when so many people would love to shift costs away from Cable/Phone companies.  But, those companies are also fighting back - Comcast offers an app (TV) where I can watch any channel in my lineup.  With VPN which is built into my router, I'm able to watch content from that app from anywhere.  So, really, the main thing is rendering content on other TVs on the same LAN.  I would love for Sling to not only nail that, but to make it clear that it's their goal.

Sorry for the rant, but I just wanted to get that off my chest and see how others feel.

Thanks,

EB

• Re: Slingbox 500 releases/vision for the future
          alanrichey42 Master

I guess my question is... for those that have been here longer, am I wrong here?  Is there a typical release schedule (quarterly, semi-annually, etc)?  Do problems typically get resolved in a short amount of time?  Do new features get added regularly? 

You are 100% correct.  I've been with them for years and can safely say they are the most frustrating company I have ever had to deal with.  They were fine until Echostar bought them and all the original team left, and the 'corporate' mentality set in.    In answer to your questions, No, No & No.

• Re: Slingbox 500 releases/vision for the future
            eric_b Newbie

Thanks for confirming my suspicions.  It's unfortunate.