1 Reply Latest reply: Aug 24, 2010 10:24 PM by dbsguy RSS

Can't connect to slingbox at college...

NYstyle199

I purchased a slingbox a few weeks ago and set it up at home with my home's internet and network settings and everything worked fine when i was done. I have a MacBook Pro and i could take it anywhere around my house and my slingbox would connect no problem. I am back at college now and I can't connect to my slingbox at all through slingplayer or on the slingbox website under the "watch" tab. When i go to support on the slingbox website it shows the message "slingbox status alert: communication status critical" which is a red alert. After reading some other posts on here I am assuming it has something to do with my school's internet not allowing the slingbox connection to come through but I don't know that for sure. Please help thank you.

• Re: Can't connect to slingbox at college...
          dbsguy Apprentice

It could be a couple of things ....

I know you stated you set up the slingbox on your home network and could view it locally on your laptop from there. BUT have you remotely viewed it successfully from anywhere outside of your home network? In other words, have you tried and been able to connect from any other wifi conenction outside of your home network?

If you can't connect from anywhere else other then your home network, then you need to rerun the slingplayers setup from within your home network and run the internet remote setup option again.

If you can connect from your slingbox from other remote networks outside of your home network, then your school is probably blocking port 5001 which is what the slingbox uses as it's default setting. Again, rerun the slingplayer setup wizard and manually configure the remote setting to use port 443 or port 80 which isn't blocked by most schools IT departments since they are mail and http protocol ports....