18 Replies Latest reply: Sep 15, 2010 6:04 AM by ACC290075 RSS

Network light is no on

Ismael

I have no idea since when not working, I try to use last week and nothing happened.

I have done:

a) I Check the connection by placing a laptop and there is internet.

b) I connect the Slingbox to the comcast moden, but the network lingh in no on.

c) I press the reset button.

I need help.

• Re: Network light is no on
          ACC352393

apparently a lot of solo users with about 18 months to 2 years of usage are all going dead all of sudden. The same thing happened to me. My network light is very dim. Doesn't respond to any resets, did all the other troubleshooting. A lot of people have had success by replacing the ac adapter. I tried, and it didn't make a difference, however when I tested my new ac adapter it was not pulling nearly enough amps as it was supposed to. I am guessing that they sent me a faulty adapter. I am going to try another one.

eferz Expert

As I understand it is not entirely uncommon for malfunctioning AC adapter to cause the symptoms that you've described.  On the bottom of the Slingbox, you should see the power requirements; voltage, amps, and polarity.  Make sure the AC adapter connected to your Slingbox has the same output sepecifications. Otherwuse, if you have a compatible power supply then you can test it with your Slingbox to see if there's any change.

Ismael

I have the same problem, after 2 years of use it.

ACC290075 Newbie

I bought 2 new AC adapaters, one exactly like the original and another with ,5 volts higher (all have  plus/minus .5 volts, so I figured this would eliminate too little voltage).  Slingbox lights still burning the one bright with a slight hlow on 2nd.. Tried both new adapters. Wanted to go back in and reprogram all the data, but I cannot figure out how to get the info stored on my PC off. It still tries to find the existing box and says it can't. with no manual., I don't remember how I initially progammed it. Any suggestions? I'm scared if I buy another one, that maybe that's not the problem. I emailed Sling, they referred me to http://www.norton.com/cs .

Go to this Norton site and NOWHERE can I find the sanme Sling, Slingbox or anything close even mentioned.  What gives folks?

eferz Expert

No idea.  Are you sure your symptoms are relevant?

Have you first tried the factory reset as described in this article (http://support.slingmedia.com/get/KB-1000038.html).  Most of the time the problem is due to the Slingbox not having an IP address that's current with the local network.  Performing a factory reset will wipe the configuration and allow the SLingbox to obtain a brand new IP address from the DHCP service on your router.

Edit: actually can you explain the underline text means.

ACC290075 wrote:

Slingbox lights still burning the one bright with a slight hlow on 2nd.

Ismael

I have no idea since when not working, I try to use last week and nothing happened.

I have done:

a) I Check the connection by placing a laptop and there is internet.

b) I connect the Slingbox to the comcast moden, but the network lingh in no on.

c) I press the reset button.

I need help.

Is there any address, phone or email of Slingbox ?

ACC290075 Newbie

No, as for me, I'm not sure the symtoms are relevent. Besides the network light not working, when I plug the ethernet cord into the Slingbox from the router, the corresponding light on the routher never comes on either.  I can connect the same end to a PC or game or anything else and the router light immediately comes on, showing the router and the ethernet cord are working. It has to be something inside the Slingbox. Wheredo I go now?  eBay?!?!?

Bryanod Novice

OR the cable is the wrong type.  Most pc's can auto detect the cable type and adjust the nic.  Connect the sling to your pc's if it has a led on the NIC.  If still no light try setting the nic to 10/mb link speed and see. 

ACC290075 Newbie

Thanks for the suggestions, but I must ask you translate for a dummy! I don't know what LED  or NIC is and have no clue how to set the NIC to 10/mb link speed.  Please explain in simple terms.  THANKS!!!!!

Bryanod Novice

LED is a light

NIC is your network card on the PC

Or look on the network cable and see if it says patch somewhere on it.  It might be the fact you are using a crossover cable.   Newer devices can adjust and work fine with either, I know my sling does not work to my router on a crossover cable. 

ACC290075 Newbie

Dear Eferz,

I  am making one last ditch effort. I have just spent about 3 hours trying  to figure out any way possible to get in touch with an educated human  at Slingbox. To be honest, I'm not sure Slingbox is even a company. Your  name came up more often than not in the past weeks that I have been  trying to fix my problem; thus, I thought I would write directly to yo  and see what you thought about the situation.

In  a nutshell, I have a Slingbox Solo and recently purchased SlingMobile  Android. It worked great for a day. Then everything died.  That was when we started investigating why the proper lights were not  shining on the Solo. I replaced 2 power adapters with no change.  Thinking back, there could have been many reasons the lights weren't  shining correctly.  I wanted to contact Slingbox and have them take me  through the process just as if I had purchased my Solo today, get it  working, then add the Mobile. Therein lies the trouble when you cannot  find a human. I am deaf and cannot use a telephone. I have been pricing  getting a new Slingbox but 1) I really can't afford it right now and 2)  do I really need a new one?

I  am very frustrated, almost to the pointy of saying to **** with it. If  you would be so kind as to offer me some words of advise on what you  think I need to do I would be most appreciative, I do not know the scope  of your knowledge of Slingbox World, but I  know it is better than mine!!!!!

I hope I haven't run you off and that I will here from you at your convenience.

Thanks!  Karr West

lazyade

I had the same problem described here (power light on but no network light, factory reset didn't work, the network lead also wouldn't show as connected on my switch).  I fixed the problem by trying my Slingcatcher power supply, so it definitely looks like this is a power supply issue.  Does anyone know if Sling are replacing these under warranty?  Alternatively, as someone else has suggested, you can probably by a third party power adapter, providing it can supply 4amps at 5 volts (I'd check your unit's power requirement which can be found under the unit).

ACC290075 Newbie

Just a thought.......Does anyone know if your PC has to be programmed with the software for both lights to be on?  I can't find the software on my PC, but it must be there because when I open SB, it immediately starts looking for my SB, unsuccessfully albeit.

eferz Expert

ACC290075 wrote:

Just a thought.......Does anyone know if your PC has to be programmed with the software for both lights to be on?  I can't find the software on my PC, but it must be there because when I open SB, it immediately starts looking for my SB, unsuccessfully albeit.

The PC can only interact with the Slingbox if it has an IP address.  The Slingbox will have a soild network light if it has a valid IP address for your network.  Your router's DHCP service is responsible for assigning an IP address to the Slingbox.  If your Slingbox isn't able to get an IP address then it is possible it has one left over from an old router.  A factory reset will clear out the configuration and allow the Slingbox to request for DHCP address.  The proceedure is described in this article (http://support.slingmedia.com/get/KB-1000038.html).

lazyade

Personally I think trying to connect the Slingbox directly to your computer isn't going to help.  Try to get an alternative power pack as most people of this post have solved the problem with a new PSU.  I phoned Slingbox support who are sending me a new one FOC (as I'm within the two year warranty period).

ACC290075 Newbie

I didn't mean hooking the SB directly to the PC.  I just mean if the PC wasn't programmed correctly, would that have any bearing on the lights being off since the computer can't find my SB on the Internet.  I bought 2 different power adapters supposedly the correct size and neither did anything. I don't know how you got on from SB. They told me after a year I was on my own!