3 Replies Latest reply: Aug 24, 2010 2:08 PM by dukeofpg RSS

setting up Slingbox so it does not interfere with tv channels

knicks3200

I have the Slingbox Pro and i want to set it up so that people watching TV can watch what channels they want and I can use the slingbox and watch the channel I want at the same time.  I have tried multiple ways but have not gotten it to work.  How do you set it up?   I have FIOS Cable.

• Re: setting up Slingbox so it does not interfere with tv channels
          dukeofpg

You are only able to do this if your receiver has a multi tv mode.You would then set the TV for mode 1 and the Slingbox for mode 2. Also if you wish to watch more than one channel using sling for both, you will need two slingbox solo units.

knicks3200

I have Slingbox Pro which is supposed to have it's own receiver.

Does the slingbox have multi tv mode or my TV which is a Panasonic Plasma?  or the cable box which is a Motorola.

The question is how do I set up the slingbox pro so that I can watch tv and the person using the slingbox will be able to watch a different channel?

Thanks

eferz Expert

The only way to prevent interuption between the local and remote view is to connect to an input source which isn't being viewed by the other.  The Slingbox isn't a magical device.  It can only rebroadcast what it "sees" and "hears".

Some set-top boxes have multiple tuners.  This could be used to segregate the viewing experience.  However, not all set-top boxes which have multiple tuners also have segregated autonomous outputs.  If your device did have it, then you can use that output with the Slingbox to prevent distruption. Although most of the time the extra tuners are used to record one channel while watching another.

The Slingbox Pro can allow this with the use of the internal analog tuner.  Since you can watch the Slingbox's internal tuner, you wouldn't affect the output of an external set-top box.  The only caveat to using the Slingbox Pro tuner is that it won't be able to tune in encrypted channels  It only supports over the analog cable and over the air channels.