15 Replies Latest reply: Nov 23, 2011 4:55 AM by mattiaslundin Branched to a new discussion. RSS

Picture size

UKenGB Newbie

I have been using SlingPlayer on my 3G and now have it on my iPhone 4 and there is still the problem that the picture doesn't fill the screen, neither horizontally nor vertically, there is a black band around all four sides. Worse than that, the side bands actually mask the image. When using it with Sky here in the UK, the program display banners and in fact the TV Guide get trimmed.

It seems to me that this issue is fundamental to displaying TV video on a screen which is what Sling Media do, so why can they not get it right? I have the Sky box set to display widescreen which is a standard aspect ratio, why can Sling not fit this to the screen? I realise that the screen is likely to be a slightly different ratio, but there's no reason why it cannot be made to fit perfectly in one dimension, even if there are black bars on the other. In fact, there ought to be a user preference to state whether it should display the bars where the image doesn't fill that dimension of the screen, or to stretch the image so that the smaller dimension fits and the other edges get trimmed, or simply fit both dimensions to perfectly fill the screen. This latter option might alter the aspect ratio slightly, but in many cases this slight modification will be preferable to black bars or trimming.

What we get is various indeterminate options that all leave huge margins and the stretch option that is not much better. Do Sling seriously suggest that this is acceptable? I have theirs and Apple's greatest products and the TV video image is appalling quite frankly. Not the actual picture quality, that's something else entirely, but the fact they cannot even fit the image to the screen. Are there any murmurings from Sling that they recognise that this is an issue and they are trying to resolve it?

• Re: Picture size
          eferz Expert

Take a look at this post (https://community.sling.com/message/12137#12137), it explains about the difference viewing aspects when dealing with the HD or SD inputs and watching HD or SD television.

Best possible picture in my opinion is SD inputs with SD channel using the standard aspect.  And letterbox while watching a HD channel over the HD input.

Foo4Everlong

I agree completely. In fact other apps such as the MLB app have an option right on the screen with the video itself where u can keep the video picture in widescreen mode with just space on the bottom and top. The other option is to make the video picture fit the entire screen but if the video is rendering in widescreen then u will lose some of the picture from the sides, but it is definitely more close up. I don't see why Sling can't incorporate this into it's iPhone app. It would be a great improvement!

Other Things Needed:

1. (see above)

2. Multitasking

3. Video Parameters (In other versions of this application -Windows Mobile)

4. Retina Display - Picture/Video Quality Improvement.

tmeyersstl

I couldn't agree more!  The iPhone screen is not very big, so being able to zoom in just a little on something 16:9 to remove the black bars at the top and bottom would help a bunch.  And doing so would only cut off a little of the video on the left & right.

Workaround for the iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4 ONLY:

Change the following on your iPhone:

Settings > General > Accessibility > Zoom = On

Then, anytime you want to zoom in on your iPhone screen (like while watching your SlingBox):

With three fingers, double-tap and drag up or down

This works, but it's a pain in the ****.  It would be much better if this type of zoom was a feature built into the SlingPlayer Mobile software.

UKenGB Newbie

Let's face it, this is just crappy development by Sling. It's nothing to do with aspect ratio since whatever setting you choose, the image doesn't fit the screen in ANY dimension. I can't believe they could EVER have thought this was ok.

I am becoming more and more disillusioned with Sling. The problem has existed from day 1 of the iPhone app, it also doesn't work at ALL in portrait mode and sometimes this is required, e.g. if the device (iPhone, iPad) is docked and hence fixed in vertical, portrait mode. And the SlingBox Pro HD is virtually unusable with alternate freezing and unfreezing of the video every few seconds - unless you downgrade the firmware to the previous version. But you can't do that with later versions of SlingPlayer so it can be a nightmare to fix.

And all the time, what are Sling doing about this? Er, nothing, zip, nada. They don't even bother to respond on these supposedly 'support' forums. It's got to the point where I don't really want any further association with such a company, but what else is there? How else can I get video output from the satellite box onto the iPhone/iPad. I don't even particularly care about it being over the 'Net. Just on the local LAN would do me. Trouble is, Sling have us over a barrel and they know it:-(

Expert

The feature requested here (fit to screen) will likely be included in an update to SlingPlayer Mobile for iPhone, along with many other enhancements. That's about all I can say on the subject, as we don't wish to encourage speculation.

FYI - this thread would have been more appropriately placed within the Enhancement Requests community.

UKenGB Newbie

Dana wrote:

The feature requested here (fit to screen) will likely be included in an update to SlingPlayer Mobile for iPhone, along with many other enhancements. That's about all I can say on the subject, as we don't wish to encourage speculation.

FYI - this thread would have been more appropriately placed within the Enhancement Requests community.

First of all, it is naive in the extreme to suggest that a forum such as this should avoid speculation.

Secondly, I was unaware at the time of asking that my inability to obtain a sensible and usable picture was down to SlingPlayer's poor design and inability to get even the basics correct. It could well have been due to my own inappropriate settings. It was only by asking the question that it became apparent the problem was entirely Sling's fault and this has now been confirmed by yourself.

So, at the time of asking, this WAS the appropriate forum. Surely you're not suggesting that topics get moved around every time the content of posts changes its focus slightly.

Expert
                                Surely you're not suggesting that topics get moved around every time the content of posts changes its focus slightly.

No sir, simply pointing out that our developers pay more attention to feature requests there. Just trying to help you be productive and get what you want done in the most efficient manner possible. Posting in that community helps our "incompetent" and "stupid" engineers understand better what customers like yourself would like to see in our "bad designs". (Ouch)

That said, it seems you'd rather continue just griping... Note that you may wish to read the rules of the roost before posting here again:

http://support.slingbox.com/get/answers-terms-conditions.html

Expert

Also, please note that the use of the component inputs may help to resolve some of your issues.

UKenGB Newbie

Just to follow this up, I AM using Component inputs. But then everyone could have read that when I originally posted the info, except that it was apparently deleted by the admins and I was banned.

So much for free speech.

But also to respond to Dana's earlier comment that they might get the image size correct in future versions - when might that be?

martyrich

I agree.

I have to switch my Topfiled to 4:3 and centred image for it to remotely fit on a laptop, using a Slingbox HD pro.

In an age of 16:9, I have to view it in 4:3 to see the top and bottom where the Topfield shows the times and titles.

Bit rubbish for 'advanced' equipment.

What is so comples about producing a 16:9 image from a 16:9 source, and having it fit at the reciever's end?

Martin

coles44

I have read this post and all the links thereof. It is incredible that HD Pro can't send an HD picture that includes all of the information originally on the screen. I have been fighting with this problem for some time thinking it had something to do with the setup. Apparently not. What is also odd is that if you go from an HD channel to the equivilent non-HD channel (like from ESPN to ESPNHD), the non-HD channel has almost as good a picture and has all the information on the screen, it's not cropped. You wouldn't think that is true, but apparently it is at least on some of the paired channels.

Well, I guess the real question is, when is SlingMedia going to fix this obvious problem. Well SlingMedia, when are you???

UKenGB Newbie

I also find it incredible that such a basic aspect of a video display app has been so appallingly implemented and also that even after all this time (i.e. ever since the iPhone app was first released) they have still done NOTHING about it. I have reluctantly come to the conclusion that Sling just don't give a toss.

spartanrob Newbie

Just installed my HD Pro today and everything is working on my iPhone 4 but I do have the size issue.

My cable box (Uverse) is on an old 4:3 SD TV but I hooked up to component to stream HD.  Does it matter that my cable box is configured for 4:3 and not 16:9?  if it does, i have to move the slingbox to a different TV.

Roosch

It is now more than a year since the original post. Today I re-installed my Slingbox Pro, but STILL there is the problem with not being able to see the full 16:9 images. Watching the soccer game, I missed out on the action on the left and right side and, even worse, I was not able to see the time and score bar, since they were placed on the far right side of the screen.

I payed a LOT of money for this box and I expect a company like Sling to at least get these basics right. This should definitely NOT take this long. Could we please get an update on the development and the ETA of the update that will fix this? Thank you in advance.