15 Replies Latest reply: Sep 14, 2010 2:48 PM by ryankelley11 RSS

Suddenly I can't stream TV remotely

Domitian

My slingbox solo has worked fine until this weekend.

When I am able to connent, I find that it drops the connection and refuses to connect. The program usually stalls at the locating ... part of the process and then cuts hangs or drops the connection entirely. I see from other forums that other users have had the same problem.

The answer to this one really needs to come from Sling Media.

• Re: Suddenly I can't stream TV remotely
          eferz Expert

Have you tried creating a new Slingbox Directory with your IP address and Port Number of the respective Slingbox?  This will allow your Slingplayer to negotiate a connection to your Slingbox without using Sling Media's servers.

The inital entry created for your Slingbox uses the Sling ID.  Using the Sling ID for connection forces a dependancy of the Slingbox Locator Servce to "look up" the last known IP address.  However, I've noticed lately that the entries aren't always up-to-date.  The Slingbox registeres itself with a centralized server every few hours.

This is how Slingbox Locator Service is able to associate your Sling ID to the public and private IP address with your Slingbox.  You can see the information it provides using this link (http://srs.slingmedia.com/getDeviceInfo.asp?id=12345678901234567890123456789012).  You'll just need to replace the "2345678901234567890123456789012" after the "=" with your Sling ID.

This is similar in functionality to Dynamic DNS.  Only the Slingbox Locator Service isn't as reliable and isn't an internet standard.  It is proprietary to the Sling Media ecosystem.  In fact, I've emancipated myself (and countless others have too) from the Slingbox Locator Service by signing up for Dynamic DNS service, like DynDns (http://www.dyndns.com/) which is free.

The idea is to configure your router with the Dynamic DNS account information.  This will provide you with a static URL like "myslingbox.dyndns.org" which will associate itself with the current public DHCP IP address of your router.  You can then create a new Slingbox Directory which negotiates the connection to your Slingbox using the URL that Dynamic DNS provided for you.

Domitian

First, I am VERY grateful to Efraz for the reply – it seems like he is doing Sling's job for them. There are so many things I could say about Slingmedia, but will leave you to guess them at this stage.

In principle, I understand what efraz is suggesting and want to work on that as a longer-term solution. From a customer perspective, I see that my easy-to-use-from-the-box product is going to now require me to learn about DNS protocols. Great.

The most useful part in the short term about efraz's reply was the instruction to interrogate the sling settings. I have done this and it is intriguing.

DeviceID=775EA76B3A957F49968F2F2A940xxxx
              DeviceName=[name]
              IsRegistered=1
              DeviceAddress=91.84.xx.xxx

DevicePort=5001
              NumberOfUpdates=868
              LastUpdated=Sun, 22 Aug 2010 12:18:29
              IsPingEnabled=false
              PingPeriod=1800
              CanStreamOnLan=1
              CanStreamOnWan=1
              IsSubscription=0
              StreamingDisabledReasonCode=
              ErrorCode=0
              StatusCode=0
              MacAddress=0013B6xxxxxA

You can see that the last update was at 12:18:29 on 22 August. This coincides with the service failing.

Until then, the slng desktop app always connected after a couple of attempts and then streamed perfectly. It now resolutely refuses to connect.

As a next step, I intend to register with a DNS service and go down that route.

However, can someone please help me out with the relevant settings that I need to set up DNS? I am assuming that the device address shown above will be useful, as will the port number. The device name that I have hidden however is the name that I have given to the router to which the Slingbox is connected.

Also, I am 800 miles or so from the Slingbox at the moment in Austria, so resetting it will be a challenge ;-)

Oh, and watch.slingbox.com doesn't work for me either.

Thanks

eferz Expert

Let me see if I can explain it better...

Internet Service Providers will charge extra to have a static IP address.  A static IP address makes it easier to connect to your network because the address remains the same.  Think of it as have a phone number.  It's easier for your friends to call you if you're phone number isn't changing every few days.  That's what a DHCP IP address does, it changes every so often.

In order to contact you it would be easier if you had a service that kept track of your ever changing number.  That's what a Dynamic DNS service does for public DHCP IP addresses, like the one assigned to your router.  Signing up for a a Dynamic DNS service, will get you an account ID, password, and a web address.  You'll configure your router's Dynamic DNS client with this account information.  When the the router's DHCP address changes then your Dynamic DNS service will keep track of it.  Whenever you refer to your Dynamic DNS web address, the IP address will always be current.

You'd then create a new Slingbox Directory entry specifying your Dynamic DNS web address.  And this will allow your Slingplayer connect to your Slingbox without depending on Sling Media's servers.

sbde.jpg

Hiro32

I got my free DynDNS account, but I don't know how to set it up...

On Modify Hostname page I need to enter IP address, but which IP address do I need?

It shows my current location's IP address automatically below the empty IP address box.

I watch my Slinbox from California and my Slingbox is located in Japan.

Also, should I select "Host with IP address"?

I assume the router in Japan must support Dynamic DNS client, correct?

You said I need to enter my account information from DynDNS to set up the router.

Which information do I need, my Hostname for the router?

I'm just guessing, but if I use Dynamic DNS service instead of Slingbox ID, I'm not able to use my SlingCatcher and SlingPlayer for iPhone anymore???

eferz Expert

Hiro32 wrote:

On Modify Hostname page I need to enter IP address, but which IP address do I need?

I don't know.  I have never seen that page.

It shows my current location's IP address automatically below the empty IP address box.

I watch my Slinbox from California and my Slingbox is located in Japan.

Also, should I select "Host with IP address"?

Not sure if I understand.  Are you saying that your Slingplayer client is in California while your Slingbox is in Japan?

I assume the router in Japan must support Dynamic DNS client, correct?

Yes, this is because the router needs to update the Dynamic DNS servers with the new IP address anytime it changes.

You said I need to enter my account information from DynDNS to set up the router.

Which information do I need, my Hostname for the router?

You need to input the server, the login ID, and the password for the Dynamic DNS service.

I'm just guessing, but if I use Dynamic DNS service instead of Slingbox ID, I'm not able to use my SlingCatcher and SlingPlayer for iPhone anymore???

Actually, you can also create Slingbox Directory entries for your Sling Account with the Dynamic DNS url.  This will depend on Sling Accounts working, but it can be used for any Slingplayer client that doesn't allow you input an IP address or URL.

Hiro32

I got a hostname (i.e. slingboxforme.dyndns.org) from DynDNS.com

When I signed up, I had to enter IP address and select service type etc for the hostname.

Now I can modify them on the Modify Hostname page @ DynDNS.com.

I thought you were using it, and you went through the process to set up your account???

>Not sure if I understand.  Are you saying that your Slingplayer client is in California while your Slingbox is in Japan?

Yes, that's is correct.

>Actually, you can also create Slingbox Directory entries for your Sling Account with the Dynamic DNS url.  This will depend on Sling Accounts working, but it can be used for any Slingplayer client that doesn't allow you input an IP address or URL.

How can I do that?

eferz Expert

Hiro32 wrote:

I thought you were using it, and you went through the process to set up your account???

I did, however, its not something you have to do often.  I did that four years ago.

How can I do that?

You'd go into your Slingbox Directory and input the Dynamic DNS url and the Slingbox port number in the following box.

sbd20.jpg

Slingplayer 2.0                                         Slingplayer 1.5

Hiro32

I guess I have to set up the DynDNS hostname account in the same network in Japan??? Otherwise, When I try to modify my hostname account here in the US, it fills my current IP address in the box automatically which doesn't make sense...

Thanks for the images. I knew I enter the Dynamic DNS url there. Anyway probably I'm not understanding what you said...

I think my question is that for SlingCatcher and SlingPlayer Mobile can I use the Dynamic DNS service??? Because there is no such a place to enter the Dynamic DNS url...

eferz Expert

Hiro32 wrote:

I guess I have to set up the DynDNS hostname account in the same network in Japan??? Otherwise, When I try to modify my hostname account here in the US, it fills my current IP address in the box automatically which doesn't make sense...

I suppose so.  Can't say for sure.  I've never tried to setup Dynamic DNS outside of my home, let alone half-way across the world.

Thanks for the images. I knew I enter the Dynamic DNS url there. Anyway probably I'm not understanding what you said...

I think my question is that for SlingCatcher and SlingPlayer Mobile can I use the Dynamic DNS service??? Because there is no such a place to enter the Dynamic DNS url...

The SlingCatcher and SlingPlayer Mobile clients will use the Slingbox Directory which is associated with your Sling Account.  Creaating a Slingbox Directory with the Slingplayer Desktop 2.0 while log into to your Sling Account will allow you to use those very same entries on either your SlingCatcher or SlingPlayer Mobile client.

Hiro32

Good to know, thank you.

So I asked my friend to check my Slingbox Pro in Tokyo, and he says he can watch TV by SlingPlayer on his home network...

He says he hasn't changed anything...

When I try to connect it from here in California, I get "There was a problem communicating with the Slingbox. Try connecting again"...

If my friend resets the Slingbox, he needs to go through all the settings, correct?

I have no idea what happened to my Slingbox...

Do you think the Dynamic DNS service solves the problem?

I checked http://srs.slingmedia.com/getDeviceInfo.asp?id=

and it shows

NumberOfUpdates=3315
                                              LastUpdated=Mon, 9 Aug 2010 16:37:10
                                              IsPingEnabled=false
                                              PingPeriod=1800
                                              CanStreamOnLan=1
                                              CanStreamOnWan=1
                                              IsSubscription=0
                                              StreamingDisabledReasonCode=
                                              ErrorCode=0
                                              StatusCode=0

The last update was made on August 9, 2010... It's weird.

HAVA

DDNS is not a reasonable solution.  Sling has DDNS like features already in place with it's updater. http://srs.slingmedia.com/getDeviceInfo.asp?id=    Will confirm of it's operation.   Slings problems should not need to be addressed with ad hoc services.

-- Mike

Hiro32

The updater stopped working...

HAVA

Not sure if this will help you Hiro32 but I'm going to throw it out there as some of it seems logical to me.

1st. Watching the SlingBox "locally" involves network connectivity via the LAN.  Networking on a LAN is much easier then over the internet "WAN".

I'm not sure exactly how the updater works but it's worth checking the following if the person in Japan is knowledgeable enough.

If your using default config, I'd verify that port 5001 (just do both TCP & UDP) is Forwarded to the LAN IP address of the slingPlayer.

Or just go with this route if you don't mind sharing your sling account & password with the gentlemen in Japan.  Sometimes rebooting is the only solution and often is the best one to save time.

Reset the device to factory, reconfigured, and it pray it works! 

To reset your Slingbox, you must be on your home network and be able to physically access the Slingbox.

1. With your Slingbox powered on, press and hold the Reset button on the back of the Slingbox for five seconds.
                                                        2. The lights on the front of the Slingbox quickly flash from left to right, and then flash slowly.
                                                        3. The Slingbox is reset after 30 seconds.
                                                        4. Once reset, the Power light stays solid.

After this you'll need to go through setup...... again.

-- Mike

ryankelley11

I have tried your suggestion, but it still doesn't work for me.  My slingplayer desktop program says it's connected, but it never starts playing.  It just says "optimizing..."  I am living in Switzerland, but the Slingbox is connected at my dad's house in the US.  I just had a skype session with my dad to try and fix it.  He updated the firmware and re-performed the set up process for internet viewing.  From his Windows 7 machine on the same network, it works fine.  But for me, it still doesn't work on my mac or iphone.  Anyone have any solutions???

HAVA

Same problem here.  Just before American Football starts, my slingbox in USA decides to **** out while I'm away on the coast of the Mediterranean Sea. 

Sling appears to be communicated just fine with the servers.

DeviceID=(INFO REMOVED)
                                      DeviceName=(INFO REMOVED)
                                      IsRegistered=1
                                      DeviceAddress=(INFO REMOVED)
                                      DevicePort=(INFO REMOVED)
                                      NumberOfUpdates=196
                                      LastUpdated=Wed, 8 Sep 2010 12:36:23
                                      IsPingEnabled=false
                                      PingPeriod=1800
                                      CanStreamOnLan=1
                                      CanStreamOnWan=1
                                      IsSubscription=0
                                      StreamingDisabledReasonCode=Wed Jan 27 19:21:19 GMT+05:30 2010#vikalkj@slingmedia.com#TestKA2mins
                                      ErrorCode=0
                                      StatusCode=0
                                      MacAddress=(INFO REMOVED)

Last time I was able to access the device was 22 AUG.

-- Mike

*** Edited to observe Slingbox Answers Forum House Rules by Moderator. ***