6 Replies Latest reply: Aug 28, 2010 7:10 PM by Bryanod RSS

Can't Connect to Slingbox HD Pro Away from Home

myJL1956

I installed the Slingbox HD Pro and had no trouble connecting to it to watch programming on any computer in my home, but when I am away, I get an error message when logging onto my Slingbox account and to connect to my Slingbox and watch programing over the Web that says: "The connection attempt failed. Make sure the Slingbox you are trying to watch is on, set up for remote viewing, and not blocked by firewall/NAT settings." I checked everything this morning before leaving town and was able to connect to the Slingbox on the Web without any problems. I replaced by Slingbox Pro with this unit as it went out on me a few weeks ago and I started getting this same error message then. So I appreciate any advice you can give me taking me through the steps to fix this so I can connect online while I'm on the road. Thank you.

• Re: Can't Connect to Slingbox HD Pro Away from Home
          Bryanod Novice

I assume its the same pc you use at home as on the road? If that is your case it might be a os or software firewall rule.  Perhaps at home its a trusted network and has lax rules compared to a public network.

myJL1956

I have two different PCs at home and hooked up to the exact same router as home that I use on the road with a laptop--a Linksys WRT610N. Everything worked fine before without any issues and then suddenly I encountered the error message in trying to connect a few weeks back with our original Slingbox Pro before that unit bit the the dust. After hooking up the new Slingbox Pro HD SB300, I'm getting the same error messages as before. On all of my PCs at home and on the road, I use McAfee Security Suite and enabled trusted network in both places. So any ideas on what specifically I should check that may be causing this issue on the road and at the same location with the same high-speed internet and nothing different when I started using the original Slingbox on the road?

Bryanod Novice

IMO I would factory reset your router then run the sling setup again. 

If you run a windows pc you can open a dos window tyoe netstat -bno after you launch the slingplayer.  In the netstat data look at what ip the sling player is connecting to on port 5001.  Is that the same ip as listed on http://support.slingbox.com/go/home for the public ip?  Does that match the ip displayed from a local pc at http://www.whatsmyip.org/ 

If all that jives that rules out the sling servers.  We then focus on your router and pc firewall/security

myJL1956

I tried doing the DOS command and after entering the command command after the prompt, I received a message saying it "requires elevation."  I did check the IP addresses for my home router and the router at my other location using the web links you provided and they are not identical. I then did a port scan of 5001 on the on the web site and nothing came up in the results. Tomorrow I will try resetting the router at my current location and then try doing the slingplayer set up again and let you know the outcome is any different. Thanks for your help. I appreciate it.

myJL1956

I reset the router in my current location and after re-checking the IP address, it is still different than the IP address of my home router where my Slingbox is located. I scanned the ports while trying to connect to the Slingplayer and received the usual error mesage that it couldn't connect and the port scan results said that Port 5001-Timedout. Do you suggest any other steps I can take on this end to try and remedy this problem?