8 Replies Latest reply: Aug 24, 2010 12:41 PM by RafaelB RSS

I can login but can't post here to respond to a request

tjbinno Newbie

Dana,

You posted a  message somewhere (that I should have received an email from support agents) and:

1.  I've gone thru my emails and do not see anything like that in my inbox.

2.  When I click the link to add a response to your message I get unauthorized access, so I posted here

3.  I had someone go to my home to check my box yesterday and it is still showing two SOLID RED lights....connected successfully to network

4.  I still can't connect XP v2.0, watch or Touch app

5.  I'm still waiting to get someone to my house with a computer to find out my public IP address

6.  My account status page is still showing last access 5/30/10 when I know I connected 16 and 17 Aug, the only time I've connected since 3 Aug.

Day 17 - 408 hours with only 2 poor connects and over 60 attempts,  even though I've seen the message that everything is fixed (again)

--Terry
        • Re: I can login but can't post here to respond to a request
          tjbinno Newbie

Thanks for sending the post, no one is at that phone location and the message would only have been picked up weekly while I'm away..

Have contacted support but still can't do anything until I make an appointment with someone who has a computer.  Then set up access for that system on the local slingbox net  and finally call you back.

Please remember that people are not always around their slings....one of the main purposes of using them is for access when you are away.  And having to force/find someone AND setup computer access onto the local sling net while no one is there is, for some, extremely difficult.

--Terry
              tjbinno Newbie

RafaelB,

Well I finally was able to get someone with a laptop to the Slingbox location AND get them hooked onto the local net (with my current setup, not an easy task).  They were only able to do it overnight so I was not able to have them use a service call. So we proceeded anyway.

As soon as they "found" the Slingbox on the their computer via local net and watched the video, I think my account status got updated on your web server. My account now shows connected today (22 Aug) and the two warning messages disappeared.  I  was able to connect to my Louisiana Slingbox from my current Canada location using V2.0.xxx with my Sling ID.

1.  My account page now shows the correct IP address.

2.  My account page shows I have connected recently

3.  I have now setup my local router to use Dynamic DNS so I will always know my Public IP address and thus be able to connect using that method-- thus bypassing your 2.5 week fiasco of lost service.

My remaining difficulty is that I can't connect EVERY time I try connecting.  After about 10 connect/disconnects It seems to connect every 2 or 3 times.  I'm okay with that as long as it connects eventually but it should be looked into.

I'd like to repeat my previous comment:

Please remember that people are not always around their slings....one of the main purposes of using them is for access when you are away.  And having to force/find someone AND setup computer access onto the local sling net while no one is there is, for some, extremely difficult.

Your recent server fiasco forced me and many others to do this.

Back up and running with intermittent connections.

--Terry
              tjbinno Newbie

Oh I see what you mean...ignore the last message...I thought you were talking about a different list which is my current active discussion.

On this list, I did receive emails from RafaelB, Dana and Admin that evidently did not get posted here.

tjbinno Newbie

eferz,

I got reconnected on Sunday, Aug 22 by having someone go to my unattended Sling/router/modem, re-powering all devices (Sling, router, modem and ven Tivo) (even though I had a solid red network Sling light), setting  them up for access on the local network, connecting to the local sling --- I finally got connected remotely to my sling.

Sling proposed a support call but due to my situation (being away for 6 months, extremely difficult to find someone with a laptop close enough to go to my setup, having to set up a guest on my local network) the only time I could arrange this local setup to occur was when the support phones were closed.  So I did it anyway.  And finally got reconnected via my SlingID.

BTW I attempted to have the guest set up dyndns on my router but it's evidently not set up correctly cuz I'm not getting any updates on my hostname--just the IP address update when the account was setup. (Another problem to attack later).  Thanks for the tip.

Although I'm connected I still have some kinks:

1. My account (last date accessed) is now 22 Aug and is not changing even though I connected both 23 and 24 Aug.

2 I'm having to attempt to connect 2 or 3 times before I get a connection (Most of the time--every once and a while it will connect on the first attempt)

In an attempt to prevent a possible future problem IF/WHEN my public IP address changes, the above is documented in a new thread -- "Date last accessed (on account page) not being updated" under General Slingbox Pro questions

3.  The Tivo button missing on iPhone app problem (you are well aware of this status on it's thread--"Tivo button")

--Terry