9 Replies Latest reply: Aug 27, 2010 11:31 AM by Dana Branched to a new discussion. RSS

Straight Talk

smudgeyjoe Newbie

Please, please, would someone at Slingbox give me hope and a reason to not sell my Slingbox or use it as a doorstop.  I bought the Slingbox because Slingie management touted an app coming for the iPad.  I waited and only got the slightest of indistinct hints that this might still happen.  Today, Monsoon brings out their Vulkano doing everything I always wanted from Slingbox but never got.  Please, Slingbox, give me a reason to not sell my Slingbox Solo for 25-50$, take a monetary bath, and buy the Vulkano tomorrow.  I have waited long enough!

• Re: Straight Talk
          eferz Expert

I'll buy it!

smudgeyjoe Newbie

I am hoping and praying that I don't have to do anything with it except for using it.  This is especially a bid deal for me because of the reason I bought it.  I have an adult son who is hospitalized right now with a severe panic disorder.  He loves sports but the place where he is hospitalized while they sort out his meds is very strict about TV use.  There are 40 people there and because of potential arguments by clients much more  sick than my son, they almost never let them watch.  For us, the iPad and a Slingbox were the perfect answer.  I could DVR games on my STB\DVR and take  my iPad so my son and I could watch games in the visitors private room.  Unfortunately, sporting events are almost impossible to watch on the Slingbox so it has been terribly frustrating to have a tool that could give my son pleasure and not be able to use it.  I am a not so well to do retired teacher so  buying a Vulkano would be a reach, but one I would find a way to do if I am forced to give up on Slingbox.  I hope I am not.

Expert

Hey smudgeyjoe - SlingPlayer Mobile for iPad is definitely in the works, so don't despair. Yes, it's taking a bit longer than everyone would like, but that's only because we want it to be an amazing product!

http://www.slingbox.com/go/slingbox-apple

That'll be the place to look for updates - hopefully we'll have something there very soon. Sorry for the wait, but we think it'll be worth it.

smudgeyjoe Newbie

Thanks, Dana.  That's what I wanted to hear and all I am really looking for, reassurance.  I am old, 62, but still act 12.  For years I have played video games, ever since Pong.  Time and time again I have seen games come out prematurely to meet some pre-imposed date, the movie release date, the Christmas season, the release of a similar game by a competitor.  So many times a game could have been a blockbuster with a few months more work.  Instead, they end up being stuck in mediocrity.  I will gladly wait as long as I know something is coming.      On a different note, but something Slingbox should be aware of, there is a problem for iPads, at least mine, interfacing with this Forum.  When I tap the dialogue field, nothing happens.  My keyboard won't come up.  I discovered that if I change to HTML, I am able to use it, though it is a little tricky.  No cursor is visible.  I am a tech crazy guy and never give up till I make things work.  Most probably wouldn't      Thanks again very much!!

eferz Expert

smudgeyjoe wrote:

Thanks, Dana.  That's what I wanted to hear and all I am really looking for, reassurance.  I am old, 62, but still act 12.  For years I have played video games, ever since Pong.  Time and time again I have seen games come out prematurely to meet some pre-imposed date, the movie release date, the Christmas season, the release of a similar game by a competitor.  So many times a game could have been a blockbuster with a few months more work.  Instead, they end up being stuck in mediocrity.  I will gladly wait as long as I know something is coming.

This is good news.

On a different note, but something Slingbox should be aware of, there is a problem for iPads, at least mine, interfacing with this Forum.  When I tap the dialogue field, nothing happens.  My keyboard won't come up.  I discovered that if I change to HTML, I am able to use it, though it is a little tricky.  No cursor is visible.  I am a tech crazy guy and never give up till I make things work.  Most probably wouldn't      Thanks again very much!!

Yeah, I'm one of the ones that given up on posting to this forum from an iPad.  The pasting just doesn't work while composing a post.  Maybe, I should try a different browser.

Expert

Gentlemen, with regard to the forum/iPad woes - I've confirmed the issue across all iOS devices using mobile Safari. Currently, posting only works in HTML mode. Tried one alternate browser, no luck.

We're looking into it, though and will advise...

smudgeyjoe Newbie

Thanks, Dana.  Now that I am learning to use it on my iPad, it is okay.  If I tap HTML, my keyboard comes up and I can begin to type.  The deceiving thing is that there is no visible cursor.  I kept tapping the keyboard trying to get one to appear and finally just decided to type.  Lo and behold, there it was, my text appeared even with no visible cursor.   The difficulty for me is that I couldn't see a cursor to make corrections or changes.    An interesting note.  I got a call and had to stop this post for 10  minutes.  My iPad went to sleep. When I slid it open and tapped the screen on my post, I now have the old blue apple cursor.  Apart from that, I am waiting patiently for the iPad app, but I hope it happens before I can watch streaming TV on my toaster.