3 Replies Latest reply: Aug 19, 2010 2:42 PM by eferz RSS

Hd Pro video freezing

bobabooey

My Hd pro video is freezing. Audio is fine. On pc and mac, every ten seconds, on htc evo(andriod) every three seconds. If I pull the plug on the unit, it works for a couple hours to a day, then does it again. The unit is separate from all other equipment and cool. Since reading other posts, heat is the only culprit I can find. So I left the unit unplugged for some time, plugged it back in, and put a fan in front of it, only to have the same result. Someone please help!!

• Re: Hd Pro video freezing
          eferz Expert

The Slingbox may be at a point where cooling is not going to resolve the problem.  The Slingbox's capacitors have a ionic conducting liquid which may have evaporated to a point where cooling is not going to help.  These capacitors aren't hermetically sealed to prevent them from exploding if too much pressure built up inside.  If too much of the the liquid has evaporated then there's an avalanche effect on the resistance of the capacitors.  This could cause any number of symptoms like you've described.

You can be experiencing firmware issues as described by 42n81 as described in this thread (https://community.sling.com/message/14140#14140).  I can't explain why it appears only certain people are affected, but reverting to an older version of the firmware has resolved that particular problem.

bobabooey

Thanks. There isn"t any way in my mind that it overheated. My theater equipment is built into a wall to another room. The slingbox is in that other room that is cool and not sitting on any other hot items. It's 93 days old. That old version, I read, doesn't allow for hd viewing. I"ll have to pay the $50 to get a company answer, since they obviously won't monitor their own site. Thanks. I will return here with the answer

eferz Expert

Actually, if you recheck the thread, its riddled with people with either the Slingbox Pro-HD and Slingbox Pro.  For example, 42n81's Slingbox is in fact a Slingbox Pro-HD and not a Pro as we had numerous exchanges confirming his firmware issues.