0 Replies Latest reply: Jan 14, 2016 2:09 PM by Golfbal1 RSS

List of issues along with performance testing

Golfbal1 Newbie

CONNECTING TO 350 SLINGBOX

A) Chromecast version 2 - Using Android Tablet - Marshmallow

Connecting to 350 box using Free Tablet Sling Player version 1.0

Result:

1) Program guide fails to load error

2) Cannot connect to Chromecast version 2, TV reports Connection Error 2 message

B) Roku - 1, 3, & Stream Stick - Using Android Tablet - Marshmallow

Result:

1)Program guide fails to load error

2)Conflict message appears on Sling Player (Tablet), at this point cannot control changing TV

3)Casting to TV works fine (but can't change channels with Slingplayer)

C) Chromecast version 2 - Using Apple IPad

Connecting to 350 box using Free IOS Tablet Sling Player version 1.4

Result:

1)After 5 minutes, TV screen scrunches up to top 1/3rd of TV, bottom 2/3rd scrambles, connection drops shortly thereafter

2)Program guide works fine and can control TV channels for 5 mins.

3)No conflict message ever appears

D) Roku - 1, 3, & Stream Stick - Using Apple IPad

Result:

1)Everything works really well although if you have more than 4 streaming devices, Sling Player only shows 4 with no descriptions as to which TV the Roku is linked to

CONNECTING TO M1 SLINGBOX

A) Chromecast version 2 - Using Android Tablet - Marshmallow

Result:

1)After 5 minutes, TV screen scrunches up to top 1/3rd of TV, bottom 2/3rd scrambles, connection drops shortly thereafter

B) Roku - 1, 3, & Streamstick - Using Android Tablet - Marshmallow

Result:

1)Everything works perfectly

C) Chromecast version 2 - Using Apple Ipad

Result:

D) Roku - 1, 3, & Stream Stick - Using Apple Ipad

Result:

1)Everything works perfectly although if you have more than 4 streaming devices, Sling Player only shows 4 with no descriptions as to which TV the Roku is linked to. Android version does not give a descriptive Roku name which also makes it difficult to know which TV the Roku is linked to.  Chromecast passes the descriptive name so not an issue there.

OTHER

Tested an Android phone using free Sling Player for Phones

Results were exactly the same as above for every scenario.

WHATS NEXT?

I chatted with support several times. Support group is GREAT and recommend contacting them for any issues, use the free chat if you are out of warranty. However, Support group seems to be kept in the dark on IT work (development, enhancements, bug fixes, etc) and there seems to be a disconnect between direct support and the website forums (possibly a different group).  If support knew what implementations and possible risks associated, they would be able to assist customers better in a very timely manner. A customer should never be telling the company what has gone wrong.

Support connected to my 350's using both IPad and Android along with Chromecast2.  They said they saw none of the issues I am seeing. I asked if I could connect to a known working 350 device to help trouble shoot.  Unfortunately this was not an option. If it were then I could say Yes, there is something in my router that is causing the issue or my tablet setup, etc. I understand reasons not to provide this but I lean more towards providing something like that may actually cut down on support, frustrations, etc.  At least give it a try if you have never done it.

I now believe since the M1 works that my Router or Firmware is not the issue with the 350's. I may just have to wait to see if Sling was doing something in the background or is in process of fixing. Not knowing is not helping me though. There is the issue with the Chromecast 2 which I can't place my finger on other than to say many people are reporting on this site the same exact issue I am having with the screen scrunching up. It seems to be an issue that has been out there for awhile now with no official acknowledgement by Sling. I actually expect this to clear itself up out of the blue...again though, not knowing is not helping me.

WARRANTY

My two 350's are under warranty still.  However, returning is not an option (I did buy at Costco so I might be wrong but I think they have 90 day on electronics).

Sling explained that if they can't see the problem for themselves they cannot replace my unit.  That means I have to trust what they are saying when they tested my units.  However, they don't trust what I am saying? I have 20 years of IT experience in Silicon Valley.  Their technology wouldn't even exist today if it weren't for people like me. I've been using SlingBox successfully since the day they 1st came out. I own and manage for friends and family several of these Slingboxes. Off my soap box....let your support people go the extra step to think outside the box and allow them to act on it. It allows you to get ahead of issues and take your support to world class levels.

WHAT I WOULD LIKE TO SEE (AND YOU TOO)

Sling needs to be more transparent with their issues that are affecting many users and not just all users.  I get it, it takes time getting your arms around what is a real issue and what is a temporary issue.  A line needs to be drawn in the sand though.  Too many times I find what wasn't working is now working, however the in-between time I spent hours troubleshooting only to see it "fixed itself".  I believe code is being introduced behind the scenes that ends up being partially or all of it backed out.  When a company implements code into back office systems that MAY impact employees they keep the employees informed when this happens (or at least they should). It is called accountability. When organizations try to avoid accountability it usually means the CEO and execs have no idea things might be bad so things spiral down, down, down. Maybe a company wide shake up is in order to get rid of those that just kiss *** to execs??? Tip, Execs don't like *** kissers and they know when you are doing it. Execs want the truth, they can handle it. Don't complain, explain facts, provide solutions.

While not many companies tell customers when they are implementing code changes, it would be extremely helpful to have a place on slingbox.com to go to see what the change is, when, and possible risks. This will help cut down on support calls, frustration, product returns, etc.  Think about it, messing with peoples TV viewing is one of the worst things that can happen to a human.   We get that technology is complex and issues arise out of no where.  We also understand you are trying your best.  We accept your non intended screw ups that impact us but only when we know about them.

I look forward to Sling's future.