10 Replies Latest reply: Sep 18, 2010 10:41 AM by wellendorfc RSS

Dead Solo?

GKL

My Solo works properly when it is first turned on.  But, after a few minutes the network and access lights start to blink and ultimately they both go out - in spite of the fact that other devices on the network are functioning correctly.  At that point the video passes through properly, but the audio only passes through for a second or so every few seconds.  And, pressing the reset button has no effect, no matter how long it is held in.  Nor does cycling the power - until I let the device sit for a period of time, like a few hours.

I've had the unit for a year and a half so assume it is out of warranty.  Is it dead?  Is there a way to do a hard-reset?  HELP!

Tnx,

GKL

• Re: Dead Solo?
          eferz Expert

You can perform a factory reset of your Slingbox (http://support.slingmedia.com/get/KB-1000038),  Then you'll have to go through the Setup Assistant to reconfigure it.  However, as I understand it is not entirely uncommon for malfunctioning AC adapter to cause the symptoms that you've described.  On the bottom of the Slingbox, you should see the power requirements; voltage, amps, and polarity.  Make sure the AC adapter connected to your Slingbox has the same output sepecifications. Otherwuse, if you have a compatible power supply then you can test it with your Slingbox to see if there's any improvement.

GKL

The power supply is showing 4.98 - 5.02 VDC, which is what it is supposed to provide, but the Solo isn't working.  And, it had cooled for however long it took me to open the case and pull out the Solo's board, so apparently it takes more than ~5 minutes of cooling before it'll work.

As for the reset, it won't respond to that 5 second push of the reset button.  In fact, it won't respond to a 30 second push of the button.  I was hoping there was a "push the button for 30 seconds while doing this" reset for when all else fails.  Maybe not?

eferz Expert

Can't just be determined by one number. (https://community.sling.com/message/11958#11958)

GKL

Eferz, I've read most of the thread you pointed to.  And, my problems are almost exactly the same as the others seem to be getting, but mine will connect for a few minutes after it cools quite a while - or at least it did once - I'll try it again tonight.

Having said that, and agreeing that you can't troubleshoot everything w/a DVM, I put the scope on the Solo's power input.  I get ~5 VDC with a very small bit of ripple on top of that, which is pretty good for a wall wart's output.  Given that, I think the Solo is the problem rather than power.  But, someone tell me if they disagree.

As for replacement, I am not at all enamored with the lack of customer support I've gotten.  I'll look to see if there is a viable alternative and go that way if so.  Basically, anything would be an improvement.

However, I do appreciate the help I've gotten here.

GKL

eferz Expert

It sounds like you're more techincally inclined than most.  So, I'll recommend that you look at another thread (https://community.sling.com/thread/2057) which I nicked named "the capacitor issue".  Essentially, with these symptoms it is possible to have hardware problems with one of two root causes; the Slingbox or the AC adapter.  If you're having a hardware problem, AC adapters are much easier to replace.

GKL

I do seem to be technically inclined, as well as fairly well equipped to troubleshoot.  But, I took a peek at the thread you pointed me to and will read it later when I have a bit more time as it seems looooooooooooooooong.   Thanks.

eferz Expert
                                      GKL

Ok, how far do I have to go to get your pardon?  Should I beg?  Grovel?  YOU WERE RIGHT! 

A different power supply sure seems to have fixed it.  The Solo comes up with all LED's blazing and I can connect to it here on the bench, although I don't have any video nor audio to it.  But, the original supply will not do that, and I can swap the supplies back and forth and the results are consistent.

For reference, the "new" supply shows a lot less ripple on the dc - maybe 20 mv instead of the 100 mv on the original supply.  And, looking at the circuit board of the Solo there doesn't seem to be a lot of filtering.  So, I'm guessing that's the problem - the supply's filtering let go and the Solo couldn't handle the noise.

Oddly enough, the power supply I used came from my powder coating oven.  I am rewiring it due to a serious meltdown (ask me what I think of whomever originally wired it) and realized that the wall wart for the muffin fans is 5 VDC.  Fortunately I had the right DIN connector, and all it took was twisting a couple of wires together.  When I connected it to the Solo things were totally different than with the original supply.  So, tomorrow I'm headed to Radio Shack for a true replacement.

THANKS!

wellendorfc

Classic solo cap issue. Got the new caps from Radio shack, paid a local computer store $30 to install new caps problem solved!!!!! But during discussion with comp tech he noted that the solder joints on the bad caps ,

on the "new solo" looked to be soldered not by machine but crudely by hand!!!!!!! bottom line solo works like new and fix is satisfactory.