9 Replies Latest reply: Aug 18, 2010 1:10 PM by eferz RSS

Slingbox connection with Verizon Fios Router

panthro007

My router is a Actiontec router.  I'm using the sling links to connect my router in my garage to the tv in my basement.  I'm not getting a connection.  Can anyone please help!

thanks

• Re: Slingbox connection with Verizon Fios Router
          eferz Expert

Not sure, what sort of troubleshooting steps you have done so far.  Have you tried connecting the Slingbox directly to the router to determine if the problem has to do with the SlingLinks?  It might be a good idea to use a process of elimination to determine the root cause of your problem.

markdevoll Newbie

I agree. Please tell us what you have done. I know fios is or used to be hyperactive on wan ip address changes. This can cause problems

panthro007

thanks for replying.  i don't have a long enough ethernet cable to check.  i had the same problem previouslt with my cable company router.  it sid work with direct connection.  seems to be the sling links or may be the way i'm setting it up.  i have set up the following:

slingbox to the tv with rca connection.  i have the infared transmitters/receiver on the location of the fios box.  i have the slinglink next to it connected with the ethernet cable.  the other slinglink i have just one ethernet cable going from the slinglink to the router in my garage.  the router is MI424WR-GEN2 model.  i did a hard reset but that didn't help.  i'm not sure if i have to go and add/change any vios router ports.  i keep reading port 5001 fowarding?

thanks

eferz Expert

Setting Port forwarding 5001 on the router is to allow public access to the Slingbox which is required for intenet viewing.  It's not necessary for local viewing.

Try connecting the Slingbox directly to the router for testing purposes, to determine if the problem is with the SlingLinks.  If you can access the Slingbox by connecting it directly to the router then we can start troubleshooting the SlingLinks.  However, if you cannot acess while the Slingbox is connected directly to the router then we have to troubleshoot the Slingbox.  Right now, you just have too many possible points of failure to go troubleshoot all willy nilly like.

panthro007

Hi, I connected the slingbox with the router via direct connect and it's able to pick up the signal and it's working.  What can I do in terms of the slinglinks?  Am I not connecting them right?  Do I have to download software and configure the slinglinks?  Please help.  Thanks