3 Replies Latest reply: Aug 14, 2010 10:05 PM by astock@io.com RSS

How do you physically hookup Slingbox Pro to ATT 2-Wire gateway (3800HGV-B)?

astock@io.com

I have a question regarding how to physically connect Slingbox Pro to ATT 2-Wire gateway (3800HGV-B).  My digital TV is connected to Motorola VIP1200 using HDMI cable.  The Motorola VIP1200 is connected to the 2-Wire gateway using one of 4 Ethernet ports.  My computer uses a second port.   The Coaxial Cable does not appear to be active and is not use.  Should I hook the Slingbox Pro to the third Ethernet port (does it matter which one?) or to the Coaxial Cable connector (How do I enable it?) of the 2-Wire gateway or is there another method?

I have successfully connected the Slingbox Pro to the Motorola VIP1200 using RCA composite cables, and everything worked.  However, I am not looking to have the Slingbox broadcast the exact same picture that is seen on my television.  I would like to use the Slingbox independently and be able to control my Slingbox without interrupting the channel on my home television.  For example-- I would like to be able to watch channel 2 on my home television, but watch channel 4 remotely on my Slingbox.

• Re: How do you physically hookup Slingbox Pro to ATT 2-Wire gateway (3800HGV-B)?
          eferz Expert

astock@io.com

I have a question regarding how to physically connect Slingbox Pro to ATT 2-Wire gateway (3800HGV-B).  My digital TV is connected to Motorola VIP1200 using HDMI cable.  The Motorola VIP1200 is connected to the 2-Wire gateway using one of 4 Ethernet ports.  My computer uses a second port.   The Coaxial Cable does not appear to be active and is not use.  Should I hook the Slingbox Pro to the third Ethernet port (does it matter which one?) or to the Coaxial Cable connector (How do I enable it?) of the 2-Wire gateway or is there another method?

I have successfully connected the Slingbox Pro to the Motorola VIP1200 using RCA composite cables, and everything worked.  However, I am not looking to have the Slingbox broadcast the exact same picture that is seen on my television.  I would like to use the Slingbox independently and be able to control my Slingbox without interrupting the channel on my home television.  For example-- I would like to be able to watch channel 2 on my home television, but watch channel 4 remotely on my Slingbox.

In order to watch different channels with the local TV and the Slingplayer, you'll need to use the internal tuner of the Slingbox Pro.  However, the Slingbox Pro only has an analog tuner and cannot tune in digital signals.  I recommend contacting your television service provider to see if they still broadcast any channels in analog.  Otherwise, you'll need one of those digital to analog convertors to use with the Slingbox Pro's tuners.

As far as enabling the internal tuner of the SLingbox Pro, all you have to do in connect the Coax cable to the "ANT IN" on the back.  Then run through the Setup Assistant of the Slingplayer.  This will allow you to configure the "ANT IN" video source.

As far as connect the Slingbox Pro to the network, it really shouldn't matter.  As long as you're using one of the ethernet ports for the Local Area Network (LAN) and not the Wide Area Network (WAN).  It should be fine.