1 Reply Latest reply: Aug 14, 2010 7:50 PM by eferz RSS

What inconvenience will I cause a friend if a set up slingbox in his house so I can watch my local NFL team?

sb12

I live in Detroit but grew up near Cleveland.  Better or worse, I want to watch the Browns each week.  I think I need to set up the slingbox at his house but I don't want to cause him any inconveniences.

If I do, can we both take advantage of slingbox capabilities; me in Detroit and him in Cleveland?  Thanks.

• Re: What inconvenience will I cause a friend if a set up slingbox in his house so I can watch my local NFL team?
          eferz Expert

sb12 wrote:

I live in Detroit but grew up near Cleveland.  Better or worse, I want to watch the Browns each week.  I think I need to set up the slingbox at his house but I don't want to cause him any inconveniences.

Depends on his set-top box, his provider, and which Slingbox you use.  One of the most frequently asked questions is how to watch two different things at the same time.  For example, local TV viewer watching HBO while Slingbox view watching FOX.  The ability to do that is dependant on what you have.  The Slingbox isn't a magical device, it can only rebroadcast what it sees and hears.  So, the best way to avoid interrupted the local viewer is to tune to a source that isn't being viewed locally.

There are a few ways around this.  Some people have gone as far as to get a seperate set-top box specifically for the Slingbox.  Others have set-top boxes which have multiple tuners with segmented automous output.  This is usually a second set of connectors on the box which is meant to feed a remote television.  Finally, the Slingbox Pro-HD has its own hybrid analog / digital tuner.  Its compatible with over the air ATSC and unencrypted QAM channels.  If the television provider broadcast channels on a compatible signals then you can use the internal tuner.

If I do, can we both take advantage of slingbox capabilities; me in Detroit and him in Cleveland?

Technically, only one person can connect to the Slingbox at a time.  This is a feature that Sling Media touts as "Sling Secure".

http://www.slingmedia.com/get/io_1255477160645.html

SlingSecure means placeshifted content is secured and limited to only one authorized user at a time

• Studio-approved content protection system
          • User and device authentication so that only authorized viewers have access to paid content

However, you can get around that by using third-party virtual web cam software like mReplay Broadcast or Webcam Max which allow you to rebroadcast whatever you see on your desktop.  You can use it with the Slingplayer to show it on sites like Justin.TV, uSteam.TVm Skype, MSN.  Any service which allows the use of a web camera.