4 Replies Latest reply: Aug 15, 2010 12:52 AM by HackFabrication RSS

Maximum Video Stream

HackFabrication Newbie

Does anyone know offhand what the maximum video stream in kbs a Pro-HD will allow?  I've got cable internet with 16meg download and 1.5meg upload.  The max I can get on my home network is around 8100 kbs.  I'm wondering if there is a cap?

Thanks!

• Re: Maximum Video Stream
          eferz Expert

I'm on a switched gigabit network with jumbo frames enabled.  My computer has a quad core 3.0Ghz processor, 8 GB Memory, and I'm running an nVidia 9600GT.  So, basically if there's a bottleneck in the my Slingbox experience it's the the Slingbox itself.  Here's my statistics with everything pushed up.

slingplayer.jpg

Of course, the throughput drops if there's less movement on the screen.  In fact, if the movie shows a black screen it drops down to like 80k, like when a person being encased within a coffin and there's only ambient noise in the background.  I've only notice it peak around 8300k from time to time during quick scene changes with lots of detail.

HackFabrication Newbie

That streaming number is similar to mine, when I'm on my home network.  At home, I've never seen it go to 8500kps or above.  I'm thinking that since I'm streaming from my Pro-HD through the Sling website, then to my laptop, that they've got somesort of limit on bandwidth usage.

Currently I'm connected via public WiFi that is strangled down to 1.5meg on the up/down loads and I get around 1120kps if I'm lucky and the signal doesn't float around too much.

On a side note: No problems in the last couple of days.  Appears that Sling has gotten past the last couple of weeks fiasco.

eferz Expert

If you open up your streaming statistics, [Alt]+[Shift]+[i] while you're away from home you'll be able to see the connection type.  If its "TCP" then its a direct point to point connection between your host and your Slingbox.  If you see "Relay" then the signal is bouncing off of Sling Media's relay server.  You usually only see Relay on screwed up network connections.  Then there's "SNATT" which I think is point to point tunneling of UDP in a TCP tunnel and I have no idea how that implemented.

What I do know, when you're on the same subnet as your Slingbox the bandwidth will go balls out.  Where as remote connections will tend to be more bandwidth conservative.  However the algorithms are supposed to be able to juggle the best possible picture with the least amount of bandwidth.  It uses the information from your Statistic Window to determine the appropriate parameters.