9 Replies Latest reply: Aug 15, 2010 1:16 PM by eferz RSS

Multiplexer for Big Screen?

70usouth

I can pull in my sling box HD pro signal on my desktop at a remote location and watch on my 21" monitor.  The picture is somewhat digitized.  What my goal would be is to run an hdmi cable out of my pc and into my Mitsubishi big screen.  Is there a "multiplexer" or signal multiplier that I can pass the signal through before it gets to the tv that will decrease the amount of digitaliztion on the big screen?  Thanks.

• Re: Multiplexer for Big Screen?
          huliganchik Newbie

What do you mean by digitalization? Do you mean pixalation?

What is the broadband speed (especially downstream) you get at the remote location and upstream speed where the slingbox is?

eferz Expert

What do you mean by digitalization? Do you mean pixalation?

He's basically saying the picture isn't smooth, its blocky and jagged.  This is probably caused by the operating system's graphic subsystem.  If he's stretching the video beyond the incomming resolution, the graphics card is upscaling the video.

What is the broadband speed (especially downstream) you get at the remote location and upstream speed where the slingbox is?

Yep, most likely the root of the issue is the encoding resolution that's he's receiving at the Slingplayer location.  Good call asking that question.

huliganchik Newbie

Yeah thats what I thought and the phenomenon is usually called pixelation.

70usouth

Thanks for translating for me.  I did mean pixelation.  My remote PC runs Windows 7, a 64bit OS, and my video card is an Asus EAH3450 Silent with 512mb and an HDMI output.  This remote is on the Lake Las Vegas Communications system and it receives at up to 5 mbps and downloads at only 512 kbps.

My Slingbox is on Comcast with download speeds anywhere from 5,500 to 55,000 kbps and Upload speeds around 2,600 kbps.

I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but the flavor I'm getting is that my home upload speed is causing the pixelation.  Correct?

Thanks to all who respond.

eferz Expert

70usouth wrote:

Thanks for translating for me.  I did mean pixelation.  My remote PC runs Windows 7, a 64bit OS, and my video card is an Asus EAH3450 Silent with 512mb and an HDMI output.  This remote is on the Lake Las Vegas Communications system and it receives at up to 5 mbps and downloads at only 512 kbps.

My Slingbox is on Comcast with download speeds anywhere from 5,500 to 55,000 kbps and Upload speeds around 2,600 kbps.

I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but the flavor I'm getting is that my home upload speed is causing the pixelation.  Correct?

Thanks to all who respond.

Well, I'm not sure at the moment.  The pixelation could be caused by your video card, stretching the video without having a decent upscaler.  However, there's so much you can expect from scaling technology.  Most video scalers will work fine if you make it double the resolution.  However, the quality will wane the further you get from the actual resolution.  It will depend heavily on the algorithms implemented by your video card's upscalers and the processing power to render it.

Before we make any judgements, open up Slingplayer Desktop and press [Alt]+[Shift]+[i], this will open up a statistics window.  It will let you know the encoding resolution coming from the Slingbox.  You should then compare the resolution of the display with the encoding resolution.  Obviously, the closer each of the numbers are to one another the quality of the picture increases.  The further away the numbers are, the worse it will be.

70usouth

Thanks so much.  The PC is in Vegas and I am in Colorado so I can't do what you suggest, but will on the next trip.

Is the "upscaler" you mention a peripheral piece of hardware that my friend is referring to as a "multiplexer"?  Thanks again.

70usouth

Sorry.  I forgot to ask if my upload speed from home (2600 kbps) was too slow and a source of the problem.  I think I recall reading in some forum that it needed to be 3 mbps or faster for best results.  Thanks again.

eferz Expert

70usouth wrote:

Thanks so much.  The PC is in Vegas and I am in Colorado so I can't do what you suggest, but will on the next trip.

You can actually do that with any PC in any location that has the Slingplayer client.  It will show you the statistics while you're streaming.

Is the "upscaler" you mention a peripheral piece of hardware that my friend is referring to as a "multiplexer"?  Thanks again.

The upscaler in this case is part of the video card in your computer.  A video scaler is a device for converting video signals from one size or resolution to another: usually "upscaling" or "upconverting" a video signal from a low resolution (e.g. standard definition) to one of higher resolution (e.g. high definition television).

A multiplexer in this context doesn't make any sense.

Sorry.  I forgot to ask if my upload speed from home (2600 kbps) was too slow and a source of the problem.  I think I recall reading in some forum that it needed to be 3 mbps or faster for best results.  Thanks again.

Your upload speed of the Slingbox location will ultimately determine the appropriate encoding resolution.  Like I said, the best thing to do is to identify the encoding resolution that your Slingbox is using when your computer connects to it.  As far as I can tell from your bandwidth, you're almost at the cusp of HD streaming which at the low end would be a resolution of 1280 x 720.  So, I don't know if you're at 640 x 480 or 1280 x 720.  There''s no way to tell unless you look at the statistics window, [Alt]+[Shift]+[i]

HD Streaming: 3 Mbps or higher
                                  SD Streaming: 600 Kbps or higher
                                  Mobile Streaming: 150 Kbps or higher