24 Replies Latest reply: Aug 25, 2010 6:03 PM by patrickle RSS

Can't connect to sling player

coraliehunter

I have been unable to connect to my sling player for one week.  When I try to connect I keep getting network error.  I was told on Monday that this issue should be resolved no later than Tuesday and now it is Friday.  this is frustrating.  We need some serious action here to get this problem solved.

Technooma

• Re: Can't connect to sling player
          vancanfan67 Newbie

I am still unable to connect to my slingbox for about 2 weeks now. I was  orginally posted to a different thread, but it has been locked. Sling  has emailed me offering to help, but when I reply I either get a error  about the Sling's email address, or they never reply. Sling's email  claims "we really want to help", but I have yet to see it!

micahj2

Sling:

Before I was annoyed, now I'm downright upset.  This issue is ridiculous.  I just went to log into my Slingbox and now - not only won't it connect - it says that my password is wrong.  Wrong on my laptop - wrong on my iPhone - wrong online.  Funny thing is?  I went to my keychain and looked it up - and whamo - sure enough - I'm using the correct password.

So - after spending more ridiculous amounts of time figuring out what to do about that, it appears I have to reset my slingbox to the factory settings and START OVER!!!!??????

Here's what's going to happen.  DirecTV or DISH or COX or whomever - is going to come up with a DEPENDABLE way to watch your DVR/Satellite dish over the internet and Sling is going to become obsolete.  It's really a shame too, because the premise is awesome and had been working for years and years.

Signed:

A very disappointed 10 year customer.

TheDude699

I couldn't agree more.  I cannot connect and am getting the same runaround.  Does anyone know if there is an 800 number you can call.  This is a joke!

BrandonC Novice

micahj2 wrote:

Sling:

Before I was annoyed, now I'm downright upset.  This issue is ridiculous.

Signed:

A very disappointed 10 year customer.

You are right there is still a problem connecting through the Sling Servers. I don't know if it is an issue with them not being able to handle a certain amount of load or just what, but it is definetly not fixed yet. At this point, for me, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

huffmania6

It still won't connect. i have re installed the software, tried updating, and reset the slingbox at home. it worked fine until they Aug 3rd and it hasn't worked since. I can log in but can't connect on either the slingplayer for windows or on slingbox.com.  a message comes up asking me to check firewall, netowrk and router setting which i have done and it still won't connect. How can i fix this? 

patrickle

It was working fine until last night.  I can connect to my account but not to the slingbox. Both connect methods (Sling ID or Static IP) require access to the slingmedia server.  It seems like the slingmedia server has problem resolving requests.

I am currently looking at another product called HDHomeRun that integrates with Windows 7 Media Center. Hope this works better than the slingbox.

eferz Expert

patrickle wrote:

It was working fine until last night.  I can connect to my account but not to the slingbox. Both connect methods (Sling ID or Static IP) require access to the slingmedia server.  It seems like the slingmedia server has problem resolving requests.

Actually, if you're using Slingplayer Desktop 1.5 (http://support.slingmedia.com/get/sp1-win-us.html), it has no knowledge of Sling Accounts and therefore isn't completely dependant on the Sling Media servers.

It's only dependancy is with the Sling IDs which requires the negotiation to be reolved by the Slingbox Locator Service. However, you can bypass the Sling Media depandacies by chosing to use a URL or IP Address of your router as a means of negotiating the connection to your Slingbox.

patrickle

I am bypassing the Sling Media server and using the static IP address of my router.  I still have the intermittent problem connecting to my slingbox. If I look at the properties of my connection and click on information tab, it shows the WAN info of the Sling server. If there is a problem with the connection, the information does not appear. Hence, my conclusion that the player is dependent on the Sling server. It shouldn't contain the Sling server (WAN) IP address if I am bypassing it.  Again, if your statement is true than I shouldn't have this connection problem.

eferz Expert

patrickle wrote:

I am bypassing the Sling Media server and using the static IP address of my router.  I still have the intermittent problem connecting to my slingbox.

The problem with Slingplayer 2.0 is that its dependant on Sling Accounts.  So, it needs to first access "sparcs.slingmedia.com" prior to do anything with the Slingbox.  Slingplayer Desktop 1.5 doesn't have the same dependancies.

patrickle wrote:

I still have the intermittent problem connecting to my slingbox. If I look at the properties of my connection and click on information tab, it shows the WAN info of the Sling server. If there is a problem with the connection, the information does not appear. Hence, my conclusion that the player is dependent on the Sling server.

Yes, if you look at your SBCore.ini file, you'll see the following information.

[SBIL]
                                PingTimeout=30000
                                ServerPortHTTP=80
                                ServerPort=5678
                                ServerAddress=sparcs.slingmedia.com

SModemAddress=70.42.244.237
                                Firmwareuploadwindow2=7
                                Firmwareuploadwindow=3
                                ServerPortProxy=443

If it can connect to the Sling Account then the URL of sparcs.slingmedia.com will represented by its numeric IP address in the Sling Server IP and Port information under the WAN subsection of the Information tab.

Again, if your statement is true than I shouldn't have this connection problem.

Only if you use Slingplayer Desktop 1.5 can we rule out the connection issues which are subjected to us by Sling Media's servers.

karyuudo0127 Newbie

I'd be really great if someone could re-write the slingmedia player 2.0 to bypass those servers.

patrickle

I just installed Desktop 1.5. The first few tries I get the 0x8007274C error. After for 4th try, it connected.  I noticed the information tab has the WAN info again. Also, if I don't get the status "configuration loaded" it doesn't work.

eferz Expert

Press [Alt]+[Shift]+[i], this opens the Statistics window, what does it say for "Connection Type"

Actually, "Connection Type" is only available for Slingplayer Desktop 2.0.  To have both 1.5 and 2.0 installed on the same computer, make a copy of the Slingplayer folder.  Name it something else.  This will allow you to uninstall Slingplayer 1.5 and replace it with 2.0.  That way you can both programs installed and have the ability to switch between the two.

mccuffster

I posted an elaborate explanation of all this 2 weeks ago.  At about 3am in the morning.

I'm sorry Sling (who I love) felt they needed to censor my information.  Maybe it was too delicate in nature.  I think my post was critical that they had even banned me temporarily from posting anything.

The issue is this....

Hopefully SLING do not censor, but instead just respond whether you are on to this problem or not.  It's OKAY we will support you for being honest and open.

Most people have Time-Warner here that are experiencing the problem.  I'm one of them.

Many people have the same boxes with their other cable carriers.

Anyhow, on Aug 3, in the very early hours of the morning they sent a very huge download update to our HD/DVR boxes (cable boxes).

Have you all noticed the changes on your menus and all the other features added to your cable boxes?

Anyhow, this update changed the behavior of the box.  I can't speculate if perhaps the cable companies purposely set out to destroy the transmitting from Slingboxes because maybe they don't like them?

Anyhow, the behavior of the boxes is such that it determines when your digital Television set is on and ready to receive a transmission signal from any devices connected to it.   When you turn on your TV, the cable box gets "pinged" somehow and is aware that your have turned your TV ON and it is ready to recieve a signal now from the cable box.   The cable box then begins to transmit the signal to your TV after a nano-second.

OKAY!  Now what about our slingboxes?   Well precisely the cable box software that was updated knows that the TV isn't on and shouldn't be sending out a signal to anything else BUT the TV. 

For instance, if you try to connect to your SlingBox from a remote location and your Television is off at home, you will not be able to.

Go home, turn on your TV and try to connect.  You will be able to.

I can sort of understand why Sling is not wanting this to be posted in way because this problem is a HUGE one and renders their boxes obsolete and the solution is out of their hands as well.

Unless Sling can design a download for our boxes that simulates a TV to the cable box or perhaps something like that.

Let us know.

I have had SLing since day one way back and love it.  Love the company and the device has never let me down until now.

Alan

McCuff Industries

jgbaustin

Nope... Not the case for me. I have an 32 gig iPad, no problem. A 64 bit system no problem, a Dell portable 32 bit laptop... No play.

Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

eferz Expert

mccuffster wrote:

Anyhow, on Aug 3, in the very early hours of the morning they sent a very huge download update to our HD/DVR boxes (cable boxes).

Have you all noticed the changes on your menus and all the other features added to your cable boxes?

Actually, the upgrade your referring to is the Time Warner Navigator.  I believe they began rolling out to different regions at the beginning of the year.  My updates were received in July for the Scientific Atlanta 8300 HDC cablebox that I got from Time Warner Austin.

Anyhow, this update changed the behavior of the box.  I can't speculate if perhaps the cable companies purposely set out to destroy the transmitting from Slingboxes because maybe they don't like them?

Anyhow, the behavior of the boxes is such that it determines when your digital Television set is on and ready to receive a transmission signal from any devices connected to it.   When you turn on your TV, the cable box gets "pinged" somehow and is aware that your have turned your TV ON and it is ready to recieve a signal now from the cable box.   The cable box then begins to transmit the signal to your TV after a nano-second.

OKAY!  Now what about our slingboxes?   Well precisely the cable box software that was updated knows that the TV isn't on and shouldn't be sending out a signal to anything else BUT the TV.

It sounds like you also got the Selectable Output Control (SoC) updates at the same time.  To avoid the problems with SoC, I'd recommend in removing the HDMI or DVI cable from the set-top box.  Instead, use the respective video output passthrough from the Slingbox.  Since the analog connections aren't regulated by the High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP), you won't have to worry about the its interaction with the Slingbox.

Unless Sling can design a download for our boxes that simulates a TV to the cable box or perhaps something like that.

Your Slingbox is a virutal TV.