I have a Slingbox 500 in my home in MA and I am accessing it remotely from FL with the SlingPlayer app running on an Amazon Fire Stick. My network configuration is as follows:
- MA network - Verizon FIOS (83Mb down, 62Mb Up) with Actiontec Router (Direct Ethernet wired connection from Slingbox to Router)
- FL network - Comcast XFiniti (30Mb down, 6Mb up) with Linksys EA3500 Wireless router connected to Amazon Fire Stick on 2.4Ghz band
When I try to run the SlingPlayer in HD mode, it runs for about a couple of minutes and then the video freezes. The video will then stay in that frozen state until you manually cancel out of the SlingPlayer app and restart the app. I can understand that if the bandwidth isn't sufficient that the SlingPlayer would stall or stutter momentarily but if that happened, I would expect that the software would be designed to automatically recover and try to start playing again.
I have tried using other devices on the same network to access the Slingbox and the other devices work fine. Here's what I've tried:
- Internet Explorer browser on a laptop
- SlingPlayer app on an iPad
- SlingPlayer app on an iPhone
Is this a bug in the SlingPlayer software on the Amazon Fire Stick or is there something different I should be doing to try to make it work?