23 Replies Latest reply: May 2, 2011 9:17 AM by kneeman RSS

Torch Support - need a better answer

kneeman

The past year I have recommended a dozen people to get a slingbox and the mobile app.  Now I can't recommend anyone to get it for the BlackBerry Torch because it isn't out yet.

I read your comment about we don't know if we ever plan to support the Torch.  Well....seeing how this is the Flagship phone for BB if that it the case it sounds like you are not gonna update for any new phones.  I hope that was a generic response.

I have 30 days to return this phone, so hopefully someone from Sling will be able to give a more specific answer before that time is up.  I will keep an eye out everyday for updates.

Thanks!

• Re: Torch Support - need a better answer
          eferz Expert

I don't understand why anyone would want to buy the BlackBerry Torch in todays market.  Especially, since its dated performance is being priced against the top models offered by Google's partners and Apple.  For the past few years, BlackBerry has been behind the curve in relation to keeping up with competitive technology.

Recommend watching the Engadget Show (http://www.engadget.com/show#player) at about 42 minutes into it, they talk and demonstrate the BlackBerry Torch UI.

eferz Expert

Incidently, Sling Media's technical support will not comment on future releases.  It seems that they can only provide technical support for currently supported products.  And it appears that this post was responded to by moving it into the "Enhancement Requests" forum.

techsupport.jpg

mmcpher

Incidentally, the initial post didn't seem to be inviting an obviously biased product review.  Despite you're lack of understanding how anyone could possibly buy a BlackBerry, my guess is that RIM will continue on business, just for laughs, and continue to sell and continue to have customers buy their devices.  As it happens, the Torch is a very nice device and works very well with almost all of the sling-like apps that had been installed on earlier BlackBerries running earlier OS's, even when those apps hadn't been upgraded or optimized to run on the 6.0 OS.  RIM is going to make an upgrade to 6.0 available to older models, so the Slingbox issue won't be confined just to Torch and subsequently released BlackBerries.  It would be nice if Sling would release a beta or allow users to try and run the existing app on 6.0 on the Torch.  

eferz Expert

I apologize for that, I used to own a Blackberry myself many moons ago.  There's no doubt in that the BlackBerry Torch is a huge improvement over the old Blackberry phones.  However, at a price perspective they're in competition against other high-end smart phones of today.  For example, the iPhone 4 and the Samsung Capacitive are in the same price point, yet look at the difference in comparison with the phones in the same range.

PhoneCostSubsidized
                      Resolution
                      ProcessorCapacity
                      Blackberry Torch$499.99$199.99480x360624MHz Marvell Processor 8G (4G+4G)
                      Samsung Capactive$499.99$199.99800x4801 GHz Samsung Hummingbird16G
                      iPhone 4$499.99$199.99960x6401 Ghz Apple A416G

Here's a comparison hosted by Crackberry with the browsers of each of the three phones.

Each time the Torch always came out last.  This is why I believe Engadget's review of the BlackBerry Torch (http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/04/blackberry-torch-review/), "The Torch seems sluggish, underpowered, and dated from a hardware design standpoint, and BlackBerry 6, despite its new features and polish, still feels woefully behind the curve. To call the Torch the "best BlackBerry ever" wouldn't be an understatement, but unfortunately for RIM and the faithful, their best isn't nearly good enough."

I used to love my old Blackberry, but it really does seem like RIM  has fallen behind the times.  With reviews like these popping up on the  internet, I wouldn't be surprised if Sling Media skips on developing a client for the Torch.  After all, look at the poor fellows with phones based on the Symbian OS.   Sling Media hasn't made a Slingplayer Mobile update for them in years.  Their last client was developed for Symbian S60 version 3, Nokia is now at version 5.

I certainly hope that there's enough interest built up for Sling Media to develop a client for the new BlackBerry OS.  It doesn't seem RIM has caught their eye yet, but I hope to be proven wrong.  It would be great to finally see an update to the Slingplayer Mobile for BlackBerries.  Unfortunately as it stands now, the current client doesn't seem like it will work.  Someone already tried copying it from their Bold.

ilovesundays wrote:

I copied all the files over from my Bold and it doesn't work.

Please make a new version.. this is 1 of the few apps that I actually paid for.

mmcpher

The tech press and tech bloggers have IBrains.  What can you do?  What's the point of trying to talk someone out of a powerful toy/tool so pretty and cool that it seems that half the flacks out their self-define themselves by it?  I generally prefer the Droids to the IPhones because they tend to leave me cold.  It has a brilliant screen and is wicked fast and facile, but it can not be seriously contested that Apple has been able to define the markets for the reviewers to the point where multi-tasking is somehow overlooked, and even the general, monetized lock-down built into all Apple's products draws little serious comment or thought. 

Nonetheless, given we are here about SlingPlayers, IPhones and Droids certainly are relevant, but still, I look and think about my phone in terms of how I can and will use it, without an over-comparison to other manufacturers and other phones.  Because BlackBerries have always been stable and solid and good at what they set out to do.  They've come, slowly at times, into the consumer market and incorporated a lot of the high-end bells and whistles, admittedly not always ahead of state-of-art, but always keeping their eyes on the main chance, which was and is to serve the business markets.  The Torch allows a lot of nice media and socializing, but it also maintains the bedrock productivity that has been the foundation of its success.  These valuable qualities are not interesting to reviewers, but they are essential to most users.  Its gotten to the point where reviewers downplay the IPhone's (notice the word "phone" in the name) problems making and holding calls is downplayed to the point where I've seen reviews that suggested a lot of people don't even use it to make calls.  Meanwhile, the first principles of smartphones -- to make calls, to read and generate email, to sync with calendars and contacts, are relegated to a passing, backhand reference.

I really like the Torch and am glad it allows me to browse and text and to play music and radio and towatch videos and access my DVR etc., etc., while still managing to be a critical part of the way I work.  I don't begrudge or gainsay that Android based phones and Iphones increasingly incorporate business functions.  Good.  That will keep the pressure to push the envelope.  I do think it fair to note that their are limits, if we're going to be at all sensible, to screen resolution on a device that must remain squinty-small (relative to computers and TVs), and to demand more and more processor juice and bandwidth to sharpen images beyond the capacity of most eyes to register.  Ever since the Bold 9000, the display resolution had reached a satisfactory point, and I would like on-board and network resources dedicated to more productive ends.

twin00city

I also bought the Torch and so far i think it is a tremendous upgrade over my Blackjack2. Captivate and Iphone are nice but they are not for everyone. I like having a real (but small) keyboard to type on. My thumbs just don't work on a touchscreen keyboard easily..

I am not sure what i am going to do without Sling Mobile on my Torch other than keep my old Blackjack close by all the times.

As someone mentioned above,  i find it hard to belive that Sling would not suport the flagship BB phone. I think developer kit was just made available over the last few days so i can only guess it will take a little bit of time to release a Torch version.. I'm guessing Sling still employees a few developers and programmers.

-tc

eferz Expert

twin00city wrote:

As someone mentioned above,  i find it hard to belive that Sling would not suport the flagship BB phone. I think developer kit was just made available over the last few days so i can only guess it will take a little bit of time to release a Torch version.. I'm guessing Sling still employees a few developers and programmers.

I just hope you guys aren't left holding the bag, like the Nokia folks.  Last year, Nokia's flashship phone, the N97, was released in June 2009 running Symbian S60 5th edition.  As of now, the Slingplayer Mobile for Symbian will only run on select phones running Symbian S60 3rd edition.  It's been over a year since the N97 was release and Symbian users are still waiting for an update.

eferz Expert

I certainly agree with you on a lot of those points.  However, my quibble isn't with the reliablity or usability of the BlackBerry Torch.  It's mainly in the price point of the technology.  Let me quote the video I embedded from Crackberry, "So, I guess the verdict here its not quite up to the level of the fastest Andriod or the fast-fast iPhone 4 but its pretty close.  If we had an iPhone 3G here, I'd bet it'll probably be on par with that in terms of speed".  And since Crackberry is one of the top enthusiasts websites for BlackBerry, I think that was very poignant and quite succintly summerized.

This leads me to conclude that Torch is a little overpriced.  It should be priced comparably to match products within the same league, and should probably be put in the range of maybe $299.99 (cost) and $149.99 (subsidized) or lower.  RIM isn't doing their customer base a service by over-inflating the value of the phone.  My guess is that the more frugal Blackberry users will probably hold off in upgrading or go to another platform entirely.  Leaving the Torch to be marketed towards BlackBerry ethusiasts.

peterlday

Just bought a Torch... love the phone... bummed I can't get slingplayer mobile on there like I could on the Bold.

Just wanted to throw in a vote for updating slingplayer to work with BB OS6... 

danzindler@gmail.com

Add me to the list.  I just moved to the Tourch and the only download I used was the Slingplayer app.  I have no problem purchasing a new version of the mobile software.  As far as those people who are critizing the Tourch. Blackberry is a business use device for secure Email, the Iphone is just a gadget as far as I'm concerned.  Sling should support all the high end smartphones.

eferz Expert

Here's some awesome news, guys and gals!  Apparently, the price of the new BlackBerry Torch has been lowered to what I consider to be a more realistic price point.  This should help increase the sales for RIM's new product line.  The news will probably help the Torch get the attention it deserves from Sling Media's Management and Developers.  Check it out.

BlackBerry Torch 9800 at Half Price After Only One Week

Sales are so disappointing for the BlackBerry Torch 9800 that Research In Motion has decided to halve its price from $199 to $99 only one week after its launch. You can find the deal in many online retailers.

This huge price cut follows disappointing sales, perhaps caused by generalized bad reviews in the press... or the simple fact that the Torch is just a bad phone compared to the competition. While this could be RIM's best BlackBerry phone, the 9800 has a ridiculous 480x360-pixel 3.2-inch screen — which pales in comparison with the iPhone 4 and the top Android phones—and a messy operating system which "fixes none of the major problems with BlackBerry."

A 50% price cut one week into the product's life is definitely not good news for Research In Motion, who was hoping this was going to be the great savior against ferocious competition from Apple and Google.

The discounted Torch is available from Amazon and many other online resellers with a two-year AT&T contract. AT&T's page hasn't been updated yet. [Amazon, Let's talk, Wirefly via PC World]

Mattdoc

Yes, please support OS6 on the torch.

danzindler@gmail.com

After using the Torch for 3 days now, I am completely satisfied with its new features and performance.  It may be a slight bit slower than the Iphone gadget by 10th's of seconds on the web but Email is awesome and secure on multiple accounts, the touch screen works well and so what if the screen isn't the newest Hi Res.  I'm in the media biz and edit in HD everyday so I am used to it. It doesn't matter if the tiny movies on my Torch aren't HD, no different from the bold which I was happy with for 2 years.  In a nut shell I am not going back to the old phone nor do I plan on moving away for the BB as it is the ultimate mobile business tool just because I don't have bragging rights to a better screen (which no doubt wll be in the future BB's)

If Sling Media chooses to add OS 6 to the list of supported phones it will just add to the new enhancements of the BB 9800.  I realize that the developmental work to integrate the existing BB mobile Sling program to the OS 6 architecture has a cost factor included, but I think it will be well worth it for Sling in the long run as the new BB operating system looks like it will be replacing the OS 5 in the near future on some of their other phones as well.

Thanks to the guys at Sling for creating such a great product, I still use it everyday via computer, and BTY, I haven't had any dropped calls except for one with my biz partner who was on the Iphone, his side dropped.

Regards

hdresnin

Is it at least possible for someone at Slingmedia to  verify that a new software release is being worked on for the Torch (9800)?  Tech support via phone sounds as if they have never heard of any BlackBerry that isnt on the current approved list.

kneeman

Hey, I don't have time to repost the directions to make it work.  Search for a post udner my name a few weeks ago and you will see it.  Or go to crackberry.com forums and search my name "kneema" and you will see where I posted how to make it work.