1 Reply Latest reply: Aug 11, 2010 4:14 PM by eferz RSS

Can I watch a channel on tv and a different one on my computer using slingbox.

matthintz

In my apartment I have the main tv with a digital cable box. This is the only tv that my roommate can watch. When I "sling" it changes the channel on him. Is there anyway I can change this? If I were to purchase the Pro-HD would this fix the problem? I have a tv in my room that I wouldn't mind putting my slingbox on so it wouldn't disrupt him but it's not connected to a cable box (in my room I just have basic cable, the wall cable port to the tv) and I wasn't able to figure out how to set it up on a tv without a cable box.

Thanks for the help.

• Re: Can I watch a channel on tv and a different one on my computer using slingbox.
          eferz Expert

matthintz wrote:

In my apartment I have the main tv with a digital cable box. This is the only tv that my roommate can watch. When I "sling" it changes the channel on him. Is there anyway I can change this?

Yes

If I were to purchase the Pro-HD would this fix the problem?

Possibly.

I have a tv in my room that I wouldn't mind putting my slingbox on so it wouldn't disrupt him but it's not connected to a cable box (in my room I just have basic cable, the wall cable port to the tv) and I wasn't able to figure out how to set it up on a tv without a cable box.

The only way to prevent from distrupting the local viewer is to tune into a video source which isn't being viewed locally.  This can be achieved with connecting your current Slingbox to another cablebox, or using Slingbox Pro-HD's internal tuner.

The Slingbox Pro-HD has a hybrid analog and digital tuner which is capable of tunning in channels from over the air ATSC or unencrypted QAM signals.  If your television provider broadcast any channels on a compatible signal then it would be able to pick it up.  Since you'll be using the internal tuner, then you won't be interferring with the local TV.