1 Reply Latest reply: Aug 11, 2010 2:05 PM by eferz RSS

newbee - Just confused on setup/functionality

crazybake

I just purchased Slingbox HD and I have a Comcast HD cable box, plus Apple TV. I think I have set this up all wrong. I connected the Coax from the wall to the cable box coax-in and from the cable box coax-out to the Slingbox. I use the component inputs for the AppleTV. My question is... If I watch live TV remotely and change the channel, it will change the channel on the cable box, thus the person at home will be interrupted. Am I thinking clearly?

I want to setup so that I can watch remotely without the person at home being interrupted - since Comcast requires cable boxes to get many of the HD channels - would I need a separate box?

I also have been reading the Tivo threads. Would it make more sense to get a Tivo box plus a CableCard? would that solve the issue

thanks

• Re: newbee - Just confused on setup/functionality
          eferz Expert

crazybake wrote:

If I watch live TV remotely and change the channel, it will change the channel on the cable box, thus the person at home will be interrupted. Am I thinking clearly?

Yes.

I want to setup so that I can watch remotely without the person at home being interrupted - since Comcast requires cable boxes to get many of the HD channels - would I need a separate box?

If Comcast broadcasts any unencrypted QAM channels over their service then you could use the internal tuner of the Slingbox Pro-HD.  The hybrid analog and digital tuner is compatible with over the air ATSC and clear QAM signals.  If the cable service provides a compatible signal for any channels then it will work with the Slingbox.

Would it make more sense to get a Tivo box plus a CableCard; would that solve the issue?

Yes, the best way to not interrupt the local viewers is to tune into a video source which they aren't watching.  Getting another box like a Tivo would definately resolve your issue.  Although instead of getting a TiVo box, I would recommend looking at the Moxi (http://moxi.com).  It has many more features than the Tivo without the subscription fees.