1 Reply Latest reply: Aug 10, 2010 12:51 PM by eferz RSS

Recovering when DVR is forced to sleep by cable provider

ccrowell

Have a friend with a Slingbox Pro HD living in CT using Cablevision as cable provider.  He has a Cablevision DVR connected to the Slingbox so he can record shows and watch then remotely when travelling.  His problem is that Cablevision puts their DVRs to sleep evary night at 1 AM.  When he is traveling he cannot reconnect to the DVR after it goes to sleep the first night he is away.  My local cable provider does not force a sleep mode, so I have never encounterd this problem with my DVR and slingbox.  My friend thinks this is Cablevision's way of trying to cause problems for Slingbox users with DVRs.  Has anyone else encountered this problem?  Is there a workaround?  Thanks.

• Re: Recovering when DVR is forced to sleep by cable provider
          eferz Expert

ccrowell wrote:

Have a friend with a Slingbox Pro HD living in CT using Cablevision as cable provider.  He has a Cablevision DVR connected to the Slingbox so he can record shows and watch then remotely when travelling.  His problem is that Cablevision puts their DVRs to sleep evary night at 1 AM.  When he is traveling he cannot reconnect to the DVR after it goes to sleep the first night he is away.  My local cable provider does not force a sleep mode, so I have never encounterd this problem with my DVR and slingbox.  My friend thinks this is Cablevision's way of trying to cause problems for Slingbox users with DVRs.  Has anyone else encountered this problem?  Is there a workaround?  Thanks.

I thought this was common situation for cable provided DVRs.  After period of time, a message comes up instructing me to press a button on the remote to continue watching.  If I don't press a  button then it assumes there's nobody watching and it will shut off.  However, while it is "off" it will still record your shows.  This is not a problem with the Slingbox, since all you have to do is power it back on by using the power button on the virtual remote.