38 Replies Latest reply: Oct 2, 2010 1:37 PM by cal82 RSS

TORCH

nastwo

will sling moblie work with the Blackberry torch?  I am thinking of upgrading but this will factor into the decision.  thanks!

• Re: TORCH
          Apprentice

Hi, nastwo.

The main issue is that the BlackBerry Torch 9800 Mobile device is not included on the supported Mobile devices list and we do not know if it will be included any time soon. This means that even though you can download and install the SlingPlayer Mobile application, it might not work properly.

The following link will allow you to get all the information about the supported BlackBerry Mobile devices.

Devices and Requirements

Regards,
          The Slingbox Answers Forum Moderation Team

mykey2k

Tried to download and cannot even get the software.

"We're sorry, it looks like the BlackBerry smartphone you are using is not currently supported by SlingPlayer Mobile."

"Your Browser is currently identifying itself as Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9800; en-us) AppleWebKit/5.34.1+ (HTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.141 Mobile Safari/5.34.1+ RPT- HTTPClient/0.3-2l"

Is there a way someone can modify the server so I can at least try and download the software?  There is no option to change the Browser Identification String that I can find in the BB Browser.

Thanks!

Robbo

It appears that OS6 removes the option to change the Browser ID, so Sling will have to allow the server to serve us the downlads.

Pretty please Sling?????

kepstein

Me, too.

Keith

ilovesundays

I copied all the files over from my Bold and it doesn't work.

Please make a new version.. this is 1 of the few apps that I actually paid for.

djrdss

You are not given the opportunity to download the player via OTA.  I've been a user for several years and on several different devices.  Please correct this problem or clearly state "SLINGPLAYER FOR BLACKBERRY DOES NOT SUPPORT THE AT&T BLACKBERRY 9800 TORCH.

PLEASE direct resources to correct this concern.

~djr

Rwestiv

I agree!  One of the best things about the bigger screen of the 9800 is that it will make watching games on my Slingbox that much better.  It will be a shame if Sling doesn't come out with an app for The Torch.

Please come give us a new app!

Obviously I don't speak for anyone else, but I'd even be willing to pay another $30 for the it.

GBA

eferz Expert

http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/04/blackberry-torch-review/

The Torch seems sluggish, underpowered, and dated from a hardware design  standpoint, and BlackBerry 6, despite its new features and polish,  still feels woefully behind the curve. To call the Torch the "best  BlackBerry ever" wouldn't be an understatement, but unfortunately for  RIM and the faithful, their best isn't nearly good enough

I used to love my old Blackberry, but it really does seem like RIM has fallen behind the times.  With reviews like these popping up on the internet, I wouldn't be surprised if Sling Media skips on developing a client for the Torch.

After all, look at the poor fellows with phones based on the Symbian OS.  They haven't had a Slingplayer Mobile update in years.  Their last client was developed for Symbian S60 version 3, Nokia is now at version 5.

Anyways, Sling Media reps will not comment on future releases, products, develeopment, or anything else of actual interest here.  It seems their only capacity in this forum is to troubleshoot the supported products which have already been released.

You guys may consider creating or moving this thread into the Enchanment Request (http://support.slingbox.com/get/KB-2000297) forum.  It'll probably carry more weight there, since its pointless to try and troubleshoot something that hasn't been released in these technical support forums.  Hopefully, there will be enough interests represented there that the developers will consider in the future.

Mattdoc

I agree, love my new phone, but the best thing about my old Bold was Slingbox.

Please give us a new version

kneeman

I posted a new post about a release date for an app before my 30 days to return the Torch is up and they moved my post to here.

https://community.sling.com/message/15794#15794

Kyleresq

It's interesting to me how most other app developers are releasing statements right now as we speak advising us 6.0 users that they are actively working on updates and will released new versions ASAP.  And yet Sling's response is "we don't comment on future releases?"  That sounds a lot like, thanks for your $30 sucker.  Now beat it.

kneeman

Yeah. It sux. Surely they are working on it. Its the only reason I got

this phone. If it makes you feel better I email Garmin to get my app

transferred and they said. Use the storm app. We don't know what we

are doing in the future.

Kyleresq

So that's two app developers that are being cranky.  I assume more will come out of the woodwork...

eferz Expert

I'm envious in the faith that you have in this company.  I find myself being jaded after seeing how they support their current and past products.  Not keeping up support with Symbian S60 edition 5 is one of many examples.  If you care to venture in any of the other Sling Mobile forums, you'll also see the despair other people have trying to get their current hardware to work with the Slingplayer clients which haven't been updated in ages.

From what I've noticed, Sling will leak proof of concepts if they're working on something.  The same thing they did with the original iPhone or the Andriod.  Unfortunately, for the iPhone client they didn't come out to market until around the time the iPhone 3GS was released, a couple years later.  The leaked videos for the beta for Andriod client was more reasonable, since it was on the Google Andriod Market about five months later.  However, during the iterim Sling Media's webpage had their "coming soon" annoucements on their web page and in email updates.  Currently, iPad owners have been waiting about four months for their "coming soon" native client.

Honestly, I think at this moment Sling's software developers are focused more on the native flash Slingplayer client that they announced during CES 2010.  It makes sense, since they will be able to develop for the flash platform and not worry about device compatibility.  Allowing them to not have to deal with the individual intricacies associated with different platforms.  Instead, they can leave the hardware and OS compatibility to Adobe.

This leads me to believe that the developers themselves aren't the "cranky" ones.  It's more likely that management is being frugal with their develeopment dollars.  As a business, they have to consider their quarterly and yearly budgets along with their return on investment.   In order to ensure that software development is matched, they have to evaluate whether or not there's enough numbers to support it.  Right now, it is completely logical for them to focus on releasing a native flash client.  Afterall, it would have the greatest potentinal of penetration that any of their software projects in the past.

http://placeshiftingenthusiasts.com/forum/general-sling-box-discussions/support-for-adobe-flash-and-ps3-platform-getting-closer/#p1770

jstevenson

I was able to get it working on my Torch by copying over the four .cod files (SlingPlayer itself, plus three that start with SPM*) from my Bold 9700 to the Torch.  If you try to launch it in portrait mode, you'll get an error that SlingPlayer isn't installed properly.  Rotate the screen to landscape and it launches and works fine.  Handful of quirks with touchscreen, but for the most part, everything is fine.  And once launched, you can rotate back to portrait mode, although the layout is a little odd.

Good luck,

Joe

craiggooden

Great job guys hopefully i can get this to work.  How is the video quality on it?

garrido707

Video Quality is the same, Works fine with me. A few glitches such as the screen size does not automatically match but you can easily learn how to manipulate it. These were the instructions that were given to me that I used and it worked easily:

link below is has steps to recover the 4 sling files [SlingPlayer.cod as well as the three SPM*.cod files (SPMFav_bold_us.cod, SPMLoc_us.cod, and SPMRes_bold_us.cod)] using the BB desktop manager and then importing them to the 9800 for install from your PC.  My new Tourch player works like a champ.  You'll need your original regestration # whch you can retreive from the sling box store under order status. You need to follow the steps line by line. http://www.bbgeeks.com/blackberry-guides/geek-guide-how-to-backup-and-restore-your-3rd-party-applications-88431/

I hope this helps although I cant take credit for it

craiggooden

Thanks i"ll give it a try.  What version of desktop manager did you use to transfer the files?

garrido707

I used the latest one out there

craiggooden

Im sorry to bother you but i copied the file like what that link said to do but now i cant get it to load up on the torch using the desktop manager.   When i try to use that pin.axl file it says no additional applications designed for your device were found.  What to do?  Thanks in advance for your help.

garrido707

It's cool. I would do the same if i did not figure it out. I am looking at my folder with the files and I have the following:

-pin.alx

-Lingplayer.cod

-SPMFav_bold_us.cod

-SPMLoc_us.cod

-SPMRes_bold_us.cod

If you dont have these you may want to do the switch device move again and re-copy the temp folder.

I deleted all the other files that were in the folder (the rim files)

When I added the app through the DT MGR it worked fine.

Good luck.

craiggooden

Thanks alot Garrido i finally got it to work. 

ck_wde

I installed the sling mobile files with BB desktop with no problem but the program wouldn’t run on my torch. I received a message sling mobile wasn’t installed properly (please reinstall)  I found I was missing the --Lingplayer.cod file in the temp folder I copied

I have windows 7 with the  new BB desktop manager, I also have xp loaded, I had to use xp to find the cod files, I was on windows 7 and about to go to xp to do all over again, but decided I would try to use the move (switch device in new BB desktop) feature to a new phone. This worked without a glitch.

Up and running!!, somebody should try simply to  copy the 3rd party application from your old phone to the torch

Thanks for all the advice!

Robbo

An easier solution---

Check out post #10 in the forum at this link: http://forums.crackberry.com/f141/slingplayer-mobile-tour-314786/

Remember to turn your Torch sideways when you start the Slingplayer App.  Enjoy!

Kyleresq

Yup, it works.  I downloaded the link from the Crackberry site and I am operating my sling just fine.  AND it lets me use the touchscreen to control, which I was not expecting.  Very nice!

Kyleresq

Anyone able to use this on wifi?  I have my Sling set to "wifi" as an option but this is only working if I am on BIS.  When Wifi is actually turned on, I get an "unknown error".