1 Reply Latest reply: Aug 9, 2010 11:52 AM by eferz RSS

Can a SlingCatcher access any Slingbox?

ffomega

Hi, I'm very interested in the SlingCatcher.  However I'd like to clarify some things before I make the final decision.

I rent from an apartment complex which does not allow satellite dishes.  The lease also requires you pay an additional fee aside from the rent to have cable service.  While that is fine and I have no problems paying for cable services, 90% of the programming I could do without, and I would very much like to have more options.  Here are my problems:

1. I cannot afford to pay for more channels I simply may never watch--mostly sports channels and such

2. Selection in my local area for better TV services are limited to satellite and I am forbidden to have one

3. I do not wish to be bound to the computer to watch TV

So, I thought I'd get a little Sling.  My problem is (as I have stated before) I am only willing to purchase the SlingCatcher and possibly an AC wireless adapter since my TV and WiFi router are in opposite ends of the apartment.  I also do not own a Slingbox nor do I know anyone who has one so I may use their Slingbox ID.  So, my question is:

Can a SlingCatcher be able to access any Slingbox or Slingmedia-powered device or do I have to own one?  If so, then is there a list of Slingbox IDs which is available to the public?  I ask this because a company on the internet (called HabuTV) is offering TV from Time Warner New York using a SlingCatcher.  They give each customer their own SlingCatcher and 100 DVR hours.

Problem is they offer 65 channels for $100 a month--too rich for my blood.

• Re: Can a SlingCatcher access any Slingbox?
          eferz Expert

ffomega wrote:

Can a SlingCatcher be able to access any Slingbox or Slingmedia-powered device or do I have to own one?

The SlingCatcher is only compatible with Slingboxes.  I am not sure its actually compatible with "Sling Loaded" devices like the Dish ViP 922.

If so, then is there a list of Slingbox IDs which is available to the public?

Slingboxes are privately owned.  Most people in your situation will have a friend or family member host it for them.