9 Replies Latest reply: Aug 9, 2010 5:07 PM by eferz RSS

The problem is the router

Shaniah

So I decided to try my luck with my slingbox again. I bought a cable splitter...

First I tested it by plugging the cable cord directly from the wall, which means i had to steal that cord from another cable box. Then I plugged the sling box into the modem. That modem has its own cable cord. Everything worked fine. I was able to view my cable box. (Yay).

So I decided to hook the router back up but once I did that, The slingbox could not be detected, so now Im sure its the router.

I have the Linksys Etherfast Cable/DSL router 4 port switch.

Can someone lead me into the right direction?

Im tempted to just buy a desktop wireless card because my modem is already wireless.

• Re: The problem is the router
          eferz Expert

Shaniah wrote:

So I decided to try my luck with my slingbox again. I bought a cable splitter...

First I tested it by plugging the cable cord directly from the wall, which means i had to steal that cord from another cable box. Then I plugged the sling box into the modem. That modem has its own cable cord. Everything worked fine. I was able to view my cable box. (Yay).

So I decided to hook the router back up but once I did that, The slingbox could not be detected, so now Im sure its the router.

I have the Linksys Etherfast Cable/DSL router 4 port switch.

Can someone lead me into the right direction?

Im tempted to just buy a desktop wireless card because my modem is already wireless.

It's possible the Slingbox is using the DHCP address from the broadband modem.  You might consider performing a factory reset as described in this article (http://support.slingmedia.com/get/KB-1000038.html).  This will return the Slingbox to the factory condition, allowing it to accept a brand new DHCP address from your router.  Notice the lights on the face of the Slingbox the network led, should be solid if it has a DHCP address, blinking if its searching for a DHCP server, or off if it had timed out of the DHCP request.

Shaniah

I just tried resetting and That didnt help. It honestly only made things worst.

I tried to do port forwarding, my slingbox is IP address 192.168.0.254

My linksys wont let me put in that because it only will let me use 192.168.1.____

When I tried to plug in my netgear and put in the IP address, it told me my LAN address didnt match.

eferz Expert

Shaniah wrote:

I just tried resetting and That didnt help. It honestly only made things worst.

I tried to do port forwarding, my slingbox is IP address 192.168.0.254

My linksys wont let me put in that because it only will let me use 192.168.1.____

When I tried to plug in my netgear and put in the IP address, it told me my LAN address didnt match.

Okay, that's wierd.  Your Linksys Router is setup to use 192.168.1.x network which implies a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0,  If you're Slingbox is using 192.168.0.254 then it is on a different subnet than your router.  This is because 192.168.1.x is a seperate subnet than 192.168.0.x.

Have you tried connecting the Slingbox directly to the router and performing a factory reset to get an IP address from the router itself?

Also, is the Linksys router using the most update version from Linksys, or are you using a linux kernel like OpenWRT, FreeWRT, DD-WRT, or Tomato.  As I understand there are certain issues with DHCP and the Slingbox from the certain versions of the firmware.  Especially the ones used by the linux community.