5 Replies Latest reply: Aug 9, 2010 3:34 AM by cedde RSS

Picture wobbling up and down!

jweaver

I bought a Slingblox Classic when they were on clearance in Currys a couple of a years ago, but have hardly used it.. Its connected.. Its working, but I only connect every few months to test it.

During the recent World Cup, I showed a colleague how I could watch it from work.. But I noticed that the video was 'wobbling' up and down.. It generally stable, but every few seconds it shift up/down briefly.

I didn't really think much of it at the time, but this weekend I decided to work out whats worng, and it appears to be my Slingbox..

I have tested the following

1. Sky box connected to the Slingbox via Composite - Wobbles

2. Sky box connected to the Slingbox via S-Video - Wobbles

3. Sky box connected directly to TV via Composite - No Wobble

4. Sky box connected directly to TV via S-Video - No Wobble.

5. DVD Player connected to the Slingbox via Composite - Wobbles

6. DVD Playerk connected to the Slingbox via S-Video - Wobbles

So since I see this using Composite and S-Video that rules out the cable.. Since I see the same behavour from multiple devices, that rules them out.. And I am also trying this locally on my network (directly connected via an Ethernet switch) and remotely from another location.

The only common denominator is the Slingbox (or the current version of Slingplayer)

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Jon

• Re: Picture wobbling up and down!
          eferz Expert

Do me a favor, go into Slingbox Directory [ALT]+[d] entry and check the Information tab for your Slingbox Classic.  Look for the IR blaster Version.  This will help us determine the localization of your Slingbox Classic.  I'm guessing the input of your set-top box is outputing either PAL or NTSC signals which is conflicting with the localization of the input the Slingbox is supposed to accept.

IR Blaster VersionUEI ChipSlingboxCountry
          1JUClassicUS
          2PLClassic, Tuner, AV, Pro, SoloNTSC
          3PKunreleasedunreleased
          4RVClassic, Tuner, AV, Pro, SoloPAL
          5JBPro-HDNTSC
              jweaver

I would love to think that this would explain it, but I don't think it does.

my IR Blaster verison is 4, which seems right.. I know for sure that my Sky box outputs PAL.. As does my DVD player.

And one other test I forgot to mention (which was more of an accidental discovery actually) is the fact that whilst the main screen of my DVD player appears via the Slingbox, when I play a movie, the picture is off the bottom of the screen. This is because 95% of my DVD collection is NTSC.. I have dug out a Region 2 (PAL) DVD and I get the same behavour as the main menu of the DVD player and Sky (i.e wobbly picture)

Describing it as a wobble is actually wrong.. it 'jerks' or 'judders'.. I can go several minutes without of serving the problem.. But occasionally (anything from every few seconds to every few mins) the image just 'jerks' a few pixels up and down.

I should point out that it didn't always do this.. It used to be OK, which is why I think this is a fault.

Interestingly, it can't be the "input" of hte Slingbox, as it happens on both Composite and S-Video inputs!

Jon

cedde

ScreenShot003.jpgScreenShot002.jpg I have same problem. Ir Ver 4.

I can connect mi to 3 ohter Slingbox Classic

It is the same bad image.

I have tried 4 different video cards. My past is Gigabyte GTX 460.

Have 2 ohter computers that provide equal bad image.

cedde

Ps I have Windows 7 64bit + 32 bit

cedde