4 Replies Latest reply: Aug 10, 2010 4:47 AM by rag742 RSS

Internet drops-is it due to sling box, cable modem, or wireless router

rag742

I am using sling with window 7 .

1.Fisrt of all I cannot connect to sling with 2.0 version. I am using 1.5 now. (1.5 doesnot allow you to specify the correct remote so I cannot replay saved program from the cable DVD box.

2. I noticed if I have sling box connected, my wirless keeps dropping the internet ony (the cable and phone works ).I have to reset the cable modem to start again. I am not sure if it is the cable modem, my wirless routrer or the sling box.I have changed the cable modem with a new one, it is still happening. I have now diconnected the sling box to see if it happens . If it still happnes, then I know it is not sling box.  then it has to be the modem.

• Re: Internet drops-is it due to sling box, cable modem, or wireless router
          eferz Expert

rag742 wrote:

1.Fisrt of all I cannot connect to sling with 2.0 version. I am using 1.5 now. (1.5 doesnot allow you to specify the correct remote so I cannot replay saved program from the cable DVD box.

This is entirely odd.  When you configure the Slingbox's video source through Setup Assistant, the IR codes are uploaded to the Slingbox.  While each Slingplayer might represent the remote differently, the functionality of the remote should be present across all versions.  Its possible that the "list" button is hidden as a "Custom ##" menu option in Slingplayer Desktop 2.0.

What is the manufacturer and model number of the set-top box that you've setup with the Slingbox?  Maybe we can help you sort this out.

2. I noticed if I have sling box connected, my wirless keeps dropping the internet ony (the cable and phone works ).I have to reset the cable modem to start again. I am not sure if it is the cable modem, my wirless routrer or the sling box.I have changed the cable modem with a new one, it is still happening. I have now diconnected the sling box to see if it happens . If it still happnes, then I know it is not sling box.  then it has to be the modem.

Is your Slingbox connected to your network via wireless?  It is possible that it is inundating your wireless network.  You might consider segementing the network connectivity by using a direct ethernet connection to the router or using a seperate wireless bridge, like a powerline network adapter.

• Re: Internet drops-is it due to sling box, cable modem, or wireless router
            rag742

Thanks Eferz:

This is entirely odd.  When you configure the Slingbox's video source  through Setup Assistant, the IR codes are uploaded to the Slingbox.   While each Slingplayer might represent the remote differently, the  functionality of the remote should be present across all versions.  Its  possible that the "list" button is hidden as a "Custom ##" menu option  in Slingplayer Desktop 2.0.

It is Scientific Explorer 8300. I will try what you siad.

My sling Box is connected to the Router by ethernet cable. I have Sling Solo.I wass not even aware you can connect teh sling by wireelss.