1 Reply Latest reply: Aug 8, 2010 3:17 PM by eferz RSS

Will SlingBox ever come out with a HDMI box???

Knights

I have been waiting for over a year to see if Slingbox will ever come out with a box that supports HDMI still nothing. My whole Home Theater is on HDMI and I don't like to use component cables. Does anyone know if in the near future that a box will come out with HDMI support??? or what methods anyone was able to do to be able to get the HD Pro box working on HDMI???

Any replies is much appreciated, Thanks.

• Re: Will SlingBox ever come out with a HDMI box???
          eferz Expert

Knights wrote:

I have been waiting for over a year to see if Slingbox will ever come out with a box that supports HDMI still nothing. My whole Home Theater is on HDMI and I don't like to use component cables. Does anyone know if in the near future that a box will come out with HDMI support??? or what methods anyone was able to do to be able to get the HD Pro box working on HDMI???

Any replies is much appreciated, Thanks.

Unfortunatlely, the answer is "No".

You probably won't ever see a box provided by Sling Media, Monsoon Media, Sony, or any of the manufacturers of stand alone placeshifting products.  At least, not while there's so much contention of place shifting digital content.  That's because there are actual legal and technological issues with place shifting high-definition digital signals.  Most of which is covered under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) and Digital Transmission Content Protection (DTCP).  Often they're enforced by High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP), Selectable Output Control (SoC), or Copy Control Information (CCI).

This is why Sling Media, Monsoon Media, and Sony have avoided as an input source for their placeshifting solutions.  It was a good idea too.  As more and more set-top boxes are becoming HDCP compliant, you'll often see them causing problems   Whereby, these set-top boxes are either disrupting or disabling the non-compliant connections to prevent copying while an Digital HDCP compliant connection is found.  The baseband analog connections (Composite, S-Video, and Component) aren't affected by these restrictions.  So, its far more practical to be able to placeshift these signals both technically and legally.