1 Reply Latest reply: Aug 8, 2010 3:26 PM by eferz RSS

remote set up

pghazal

How can I setup a newly procured Pro HD from my laptop in Europe while the slingbox is installed at my family house in the US?

Is it possible? I have just returned from the US and i don't expect to be there again for another 6 months.

Thanks

P

• Re: remote set up
          eferz Expert

pghazal wrote:

How can I setup a newly procured Pro HD from my laptop in Europe while the slingbox is installed at my family house in the US?

Is it possible? I have just returned from the US and i don't expect to be there again for another 6 months.

Thanks

P

The first time configuration of the Slingbox has to always done locally.  This is because the Slingbox must be told to allow remote connections, and the router that is hosting the Slingbox needs to make it available to the internet.

Normally you can do it without any problems because of Sling Accounts.  However, there's an issue with Sling Accounts that is described in this offical post (https://community.sling.com/message/14266#14266).

To avoid these problems remotely, you should have someone local to the Slingbox sign up for Dynamic DNS (DDNS) service.  Then have them configure the router to use DDNS, so that you won't have to worry about the ever changing DHCP address assigned to the public interface of your router.  Then they will have to create port forwarding rules to allow the Slingbox to be accessed over the internet.

Then you can plug-in the DDNS url and port number of the Slingbox into your Slingplayer's Slingbox Directory entry.  This will give you direct access to your Slingbox without the Sling Media's servers.  Once you have direct access to the Slingbox then it can reconfigure it remotely at any location.