7 Replies Latest reply: Aug 13, 2010 11:04 AM by eferz RSS

Running multiple instances of SlingPlayer 1.0.10 for Mac OS 10.6.x

TomSalas

Has any one tried to run multiple instances of Mac version of SlingPlayer 1.0.10 (to connect to different SlingBoxes) on Mac OS 10.6.x or any older versions of both.  I know you can run multiple instances of SlingPlayer with Windows version but wonder if you can do the same for Mac version by adding some kind of switches/variables to SlingPlayer's info.plist (similar to editting SBCORE.INI).  Any help or input would greatly be appreciated.

• Re: Running multiple instances of SlingPlayer 1.0.10 for Mac OS 10.6.x
          eferz Expert

Have you tried using adding the "MultiInstance" to "1" parameter to the appropriate plist file?  It's not going to break the program if it isn't recognized by the Slingplayer.  It'll just ignore it.

TomSalas

Yes I have, eferz.

Tried guessing numbers of variables such as "MultiInstances" to 1 as "integer" as well as "true/false" as in "boolean".  Also tried other variables as "Multiple Instances", "Multi-Instances", "Multiple_Instances", "IsMultiInstances", etc...Still end up with the message "Multiple Instances of Slingplayer is running" when trying to run another SlingPlayer from the terminal command "open -n SlingPlayer.app".

Guess only the ones who coded the SlingPlayer will have the answer to the exact name of the variable assuming SlingPlayer version for Mac was built the same way as Windows version.

TomSalas

Hello eferz:

Do you run SlingPlayer on Windows or Mac?  I am going crazy about locating the right variable in the "info.plist" to set and so far no luck.  There got to be someone that already done it!  The way it works is if the variable is not internally recognized, it would just ignores it and continues to run and then detects that I already have an instance of it running already (attached message).  I also deliberately put in wrong syntax in the "info.plist" just to make sure if SlingPlayer reads it and it did.  It will not run if I just make a typo on the "info.plist".  I have been running multiple instances of SlingPlayer on all my Windows laptops for years until recently I got the 27" iMac.  Hate to have to purchase Parallel and then Windows just to run Multiple SlingPlayers for Win on Mac.  I do have urgent needs to run multiple instances of it to different sling boxes.  BTW, I rarely watch TV on SlingPlayer, ironically, and I did  not purchased the 3 sling boxes for watching TV or cable.  I see the way the windows version work with the MultiInstance switch, I know that I am really closed to nailing it down.  However, if you do have a little time and a Mac to check it out, any input would be greatly appreciated.  At the same time, looking into the "slingplayer" binary for mac reveals some strings as "quitIfMultilpleInstance", "Multiple_Instances_Error_Msg", "Multiple_Instances_Error_Title" and "Another instance of Slingbox Setup Assistant or SlingPlayer is already running.", I am afraid it may not be built the same way as Windows version.  What do you think?

eferz Expert

TomSalas wrote:

Do you run SlingPlayer on Windows or Mac?

I use a PC, I've long learned that Mac's are often treated like the unwanted child when it comes to certain generes.

TomSalas wrote:

I am afraid it may not be built the same way as Windows version.  What do you think?

You're probably right.  Probably better off running Web Slingplayer on firefox and safari.  That way you can at least get three Slingplayer clients up.  They just won't be the same version.  Besides, I believe the Slingplayer Desktop for Mac doesn't actually support HD.  So, if you had to use the Web Slingplayer with the Slingplayer Pro-HD to achieve high definition streaming.