2 Replies Latest reply: Mar 19, 2012 5:45 AM by nickyeoh RSS

There was an error connecting to the box.Please check your network, firewall and router settings.

dabsep

I am having trouble connecting to my slingox on an older desktop of mine.  The desktop mets the minimum requirements and has windows xp SP3 installed.  When I use one of my newer laptops, they have no problem connecting to the slingbox but I get the error message, "There was an error connecting to the box.Please check your network, firewall and router setting." when I try to connect with the desktop. I should then be able to rule out any router setting issues.  The actual error message is coded "0x80004005". Anyone know how to fix this???

• Re: There was an error connecting to the box.Please check your network, firewall and router settings.
          eferz Expert

There's a current problem with the Sling servers described in this offical thread (https://community.sling.com/message/14266#14266).  It describes the current service interruption to be a part of the problem of Sling Accounts.  While I'm not sure it is relavant to your issue, you might consider watching that thread for further updates on the issue.  As the there are about seven servers that which the Sling Media ecosystem are dependant. 

1. analytics.sling.com
          2. autoupdate.sling.com
          3. ms.sling.com
          4. secure.sling.com
          5. services.sling.com
          6. sparcs.slingmedia.com
          7. relay.sling.com
            • Re: There was an error connecting to the box.Please check your network, firewall and router settings.
              nickyeoh

Hi,

I know its been sometime since the last post but I am getting the same error message as the message header.

This is the situation:

I recently bought a Slingbox in Hong Kong and brought it back to set up to a cable TV set top box in Singapore and hope to be able to watch from my computer in Hong Kong (or anywhere around the world). After setting up the box in Singapore, I could stream content onto our iphones/ipad so assumed that the “Home” connection is okay. However, when I came back to Hong Kong and tried playing on the slingplayer (after downloading it to my desktop) but after logging in my account and trying to connect to the slingbox it said that there was an “There was an error connecting to the box. Please check your network, firewall and router settings.”.

I then turned off my Firewall and Antivirus on my computer and tried but same message appeared. Secondly, I also then tried logging onto the Slingbox through my iphone (as have downloaded the app) and the stream was smooth so I do not think it’s a problem with my network or my router (as I was accessing my iphone using Wi Fi from my house). I suspect it could be a configuration in my computer itself but cannot find it in the help section.

Can you please help? Is there a number or hotline I can call for help in Hong Kong?

Could it be a problem with Sling servers? Or should I also Port Forward from my "home" router?

Hope to hear back from anyone soon as I would like to be able to view content on my computer and not just my iphone.