1 Reply Latest reply: Aug 8, 2010 3:59 PM by eferz RSS

Dish Network Vip 922

ACC926552

Can anyone say for sure whether or not these new sling-loaded DVRs (like the 922) can be operated / accessed without international restrictions (just like my SlingBox)?

-- The SlingBox is awesome because I can reach back and view local news, sports, and programming from anywhere I'm working/traveling; Johannesburg, Germany; Johannesburg, California; or Johannesburg, South Africa.

-- I plan to upgrade my viewing pleasure with a new DishNetwork subscription and saw that they offer a Sling-loaded DVR (ViP922).  The 922 caught my attention and now I'm trying to confirm whether or not I would have international to my TV.  I'll probably stick with my SlingBox HD Pro but am naturally curious if this is a viable option.

I'd appreciate any information and or advice from anyone who has experience or knowledge of the 922; specifically regarding whether or not I'd be able to access from overseas.

Thanks

G

• Re: Dish Network Vip 922
          eferz Expert

ACC926552 wrote:

Can anyone say for sure whether or not these new sling-loaded DVRs (like the 922) can be operated / accessed without international restrictions (just like my SlingBox)?

Yes, probably the folks at Dish can give you absolute answers about the Dish ViP 922.

-- The SlingBox is awesome because I can reach back and view local news, sports, and programming from anywhere I'm working/traveling; Johannesburg, Germany; Johannesburg, California; or Johannesburg, South Africa.

-- I plan to upgrade my viewing pleasure with a new DishNetwork subscription and saw that they offer a Sling-loaded DVR (ViP922).  The 922 caught my attention and now I'm trying to confirm whether or not I would have international to my TV.  I'll probably stick with my SlingBox HD Pro but am naturally curious if this is a viable option.

I'd appreciate any information and or advice from anyone who has experience or knowledge of the 922; specifically regarding whether or not I'd be able to access from overseas.

Honestly, I think the Dish ViP 922 is garbage.  It's a first generation combination, and you're stuck with requiring to use Dish Network's website to view it.  You're better off getting a ViP 722k and using it in conjunction with your Slingbox Pro-HD.  You'll keep the modularity.  So, if you need to upgrade the satellite receiver in the future, you won't have to worry about whether the new one has placeshifting capabilites.