9 Replies Latest reply: Sep 15, 2010 4:43 AM by delthibodeaux RSS

Slingplayer for Pro HD in development?

indychris Newbie

Does anyone know if slingplayer for the Pro HD is in development for the Mac?  It seems crazy that in order to watch TV in my garage via my network and slingplayer, I have to upload it then download it rather than being able to stream it directly over my network. Are other solutions in process?

• Re: Slingplayer for Pro HD in development?
          TomDe

If you need to do that, maybe there is a problem im your computer or network. Check for firewalls that might be giving the computer the feeling that the Slingbox is on another network.

indychris Newbie

Maybe I misunderstood how the Browser viewer works? I assumed that since the HD only works in browser mode that the programming from my SB Pro HD is uploaded and transferred via the SB servers? Part of what led me to that conclusion is the fact that the transfer rate on my SB streaming varies wildly while my gigabit network setup is very quick all the time here at home.

Maybe someone can explain the functional difference between the browser-based viewer and the actual Sling Player app?

eferz Expert

For the Mac, the Slingplayer Desktop does not have the ability to go above resolution 640x480 therefore will not use as high of the bandwidth as the Web Slingplayer plug-in used on (http://watch.slingbox.com) website.  As far as I know, for the Mac the only way to get the optimal performance of high definition from the Slingbox Pro-HD is to use the Web Slingplayer plug-in.

indychris Newbie

But my question is, when the slingplayer plugin runs, does it send the data upstream through the SB servers and then downstream to my Mac?  In other words, when I am watching HD video via SB Pro HD via the slingplayer plugin in my garage on the same network on which my Slingbox unit is located, is the data being uploaded and then downloaded again?  I assume that it must be, in which case I am using a bunch of my allotted bandwidth from Comcast to watch something on my own network.

eferz Expert

indychris wrote:

But my question is, when the slingplayer plugin runs, does it send the data upstream through the SB servers and then downstream to my Mac?

It depends on the respective location between the Slingplayer (client) and the Slingbox (server).  While streaming video the Slingplayer and Slingbox should have a point to point connection.

The Sling Media servers should only keep your Sling Account information and Slingbox Locator Resource Information.  They do have relay servers for odd conditions where direct connections are impossible.

In other words, when I am watching HD video via SB Pro HD via the slingplayer plugin in my garage on the same network on which my Slingbox unit is located, is the data being uploaded and then downloaded again?

No. At least not with a lot of effort to confuse the Slingplayer.

I assume that it must be, in which case I am using a bunch of my allotted bandwidth from Comcast to watch something on my own network.

In order for this to occur, you'd have to configure the Slingbox Directory entry for direct IP address then indicate the public IP address of your router with the port number of the Slingbox.  This will confuse the Slingplayer to think you're connecting to the Slingbox remotely as opposed to locally.

eferz Expert

Oh, wait... I believe you're confused on how the Web Slingplayer plug-in functions.  The Web Slingplayer plug-in is installed on your computer for your browser.  While it does use "watch.slingbox.com" as a backdrop for menu selections and the electronic program guide, the actual control and streaming from your Slingbox is going directly to the Web Slingplayer plug-in on your computer.

indychris Newbie

That makes sense, eferz, and I appreciate your responding.

I guess I'm still confused as to why I am (was--it's still down at the moment! ) getting wide fluctuations in my bit rate then. With a solid gigabit network that never gives me problems and is blazing fast, sometimes I'm getting 1600 Mbs and other times 8400+, all the time with no other network activity.

Thanks again,

Chris

eferz Expert

indychris wrote:

That makes sense, eferz, and I appreciate your responding.

You're welcome.  Glad I could help clear that up.

I guess I'm still confused as to why I am getting wide fluctuations in my bit rate then. With a solid gigabit network that never gives me problems and is blazing fast, sometimes I'm getting 1600 Mbs and other times 8400+, all the time with no other network activity.

Yeah, that doesn't make sense to me either.  I'm also using a gigabit network with jump frames turned on and my connection maintains 8.0 to 8.4k regardless if I'm using the Slingplayer Desktop 2.0 or the Web Slingplayer.

If you knew how to get the stream statistics, you might be able to determine what's going on with your connection.  Unforunately, I don't know how to get it from Web Slingplayer on Mac.

This is how you do it for....

For the Slingplayer Desktop for PC
                                      Press [Alt]+[Shift]+[i] while connected to the Slingbox

For the Web Slingplayer for Internet Explorer or Firefox on the PC
                                      Hold down [Ctrl] while clicking on the streaming video

For the Slingplayer Desktop for the Mac
                                      Holding down [Option] selecting View | Show Statistics

If you can figure out the magic combination for the Mac Web Slingplayer, I'd appreciate it if you let me know.

delthibodeaux

I seem to be receiving HD TV this morning on my iMac using the desktop SlingPlayer version 1.0.10.272 from my Slingbox PRO HD receiving Comcast HD, no wireless involved here.  My  iMac 24 is a 3.01 running latest SnowLeopard.  Anyone else see this improvement?

I previously complained about this then began using the Web browser Watch version of slingplayer and that worked very well. But this morning for the heck of it, I tried the desktop version and got confused because it looks pretty high res to me.