4 Replies Latest reply: Sep 8, 2010 8:21 AM by rlitten Branched to a new discussion. RSS

What is up with the login server over wifi?

rlitten

Last two days I noticed that I cannot login when my iphone is on wifi, even if the device and the phone are on the same network but over 3g is fine. software says it's connecting then bounces out after a minute saying it cannot connect to the login servers. Turn off the wifi and it's fine. If I manually configure the IP and try wifi, it's fine, but won't load my favorites, says i have to be logged in (for what reason this is NOT stored in the software is beyond me). when I went to sling site yesterday, there was a banner on the support page that said they realized they were having login issues and would have it corrected ASAP. Banner's gone but still don't work. I know there's got to be others with similar issues.

Tech Support......

Come on guys,,,you know the problem exist. At least be honest about it. tell us whats up and fix it.

• Re: What is up with the login server over wifi?
          eferz Expert

Problem is described and work around is discussed here (https://community.sling.com/message/14079#14079).

rlitten

Well it seems I am getting confirmation from a few sources of what I already knew to be true. The Sling servers are the issue, not the user software or configurations that Sling would lead you to believe. Sure the workarounds get you around the issue (IP configurating instead of using the Sling account) but this is not how it was supposed to work. With no way to throw a note over to tech support and tell them from the support page, this leaves a sour taste in consumers mouths. Sling will be nursing this black eye for a while and the longer they take fixing it, the more lost sales they will have.

Apprentice

Hi, rlitten.

The situations you are referring to are related to the Slingbox servers issues. However, we can assure you that this situation has already been fixed.

Therefore, we encourage you to test the connection to your Slingbox and let us know how it works for you!

Regards,
                  The Slingbox Answers Forum Moderation Team

rlitten

I appreciate the heads up that the issue is fixed, however info related to this error was not very forthcoming. If you knew you had the issue, being straight forward with your customers about it would have been way more beneficial. I called the tech line once to ask what's up but all they wanted was to charge me' for tech support on an issue they surely had already known. Why bother with trying to collect money for troubleshooting an issue sling already knew about? Besides, my slingbox had something break internally and now won't boot. Tech support wants me' to pay 150 to get it fixed, half the price of a new one with just a 90 day warranty. Doesn't say much for the device now does it? Likely I'll just toss this one and move over to a new device from monsoon.

Thanks for the reply.