6 Replies Latest reply: Aug 10, 2010 10:26 AM by dmsny RSS

Slingplayer on MAC doesnt connect to remote slingbox

manachinu

I have been using mac slingplayer to connect to a remote slingbox, since yesterday mac slingplayer just keeps saying LOCATING and doesnt connect.

Tried from iphone and windows slingplayer and it works fine. Do you know what might be the issue ?

• Re: Slingplayer on MAC doesnt connect to remote slingbox
          sjuull

Hi,

I want to report exact the same issue.

Slingplayer on Mac worked fine but since today (5th of August) it hangs in "locating"

I can connect using slingcatcher or windows slingplayer to my slingbox without any problems.

help !

eferz Expert

Yes, problems and work arounds are described in this thread (https://community.sling.com/message/14079#14079)

manachinu

I used a dyndns connection and port 5001 and it works fine. under direct connection.

sjuull

Thanks eferz,

Making a direct connection helped solve the problem.

Although I first had to remove the com.slingmedia.slingplayer.plist and com.slingmedia.setupassistant.plist files to be able to make the change within the slingplayer client (as it kept crashing trying to locate the slingbox).

Cheers !

Stefan

GSP

I had a problem with SlingPlayer on my Mac getting stuck on 'locating', while another Mac and PC on the same network worked fine. Here's a summary of how I fixed it (which replicates some of what has been said elsewhere, but less explicitly, in this thread). Hopefully this will be of help to other people like me who treat the OS as a black box and don't know their way around the system:

- Go to users/<yourusername>/library/preferences.

- Delete (or move to a backup location) both the plist files that begin with com.slingmedia.

- From the same location, delete (or move to a backup location) the SlingMedia folder.

- Launch SlingPlayer and add your SlingBox back into your SlingBox Directory.

Note - You need to know your SlingBox ID to add the player back in. This also deletes your saved channel shortcuts.

You could try removing less of these files, but my player is working now, so I can't go back and test the minimum changes needed.

Hope this helps,

Steve

UPDATE 8/14:

This method seems to work consistently for me to connect to the Slingbox after it gets stuck on locating, but I'm having to do it every time I start up the player. It seems to go back to the old problem every time it tries to connect to a previously setup Slingbox entry.

It also looks like another requirement is to set the profile to connect to the slingbox as administrator.

dmsny Newbie

There were actually 3 plist files including the Setupassistant file. I deleted the other two and the Sling folder. Tried connecting to a remote location and again it got stuck on LOCATING (mac version). This DIDN'T WORK for me.

THE ONLY METHOD THAT WORKED BESIDES THE WEB PLAYER, was DIRECTLY connecting to an IP address and port.

Am I missing something? How could they still be experiencing problems with their location servers?