3 Replies Latest reply: Aug 5, 2010 11:32 AM by eferz RSS

Cable signal too weak

KAIZAN99

I set up my Slingbox in May but have been unable to use it at all because the cable signal is too weak to support both the Slingbox and the TV at the same time. I am always remote but my roommates use the TV so I can't ever use it. As a matter of fact, Slingbox can't be connected at the same time as the TV. Is there a way to improve the signal strength so I can use this excellent product?

• Re: Cable signal too weak
          eferz Expert

I'm guessing you have a Slingbox with an internal tuner like the Classic, Tuner, Pro, or Pro-HD. Also, you're splitting the in comming cable from the wall into both the Slingbox and the television.

The problem might be that you're using a low quality cable splitter that is imposing more resistance than is necessary.  You might consider replacing it with a Monster Cable Low-Loss 2-Way Splitter or the Ultralink Pro-2 ultra high performance 2 GHZ signal splitter.

Here are a few pages for you to read on the subject matter.

Another thing you can do is call the cable company to have them send a  technican out to boost the signal from the local distribution box in your neighborhood.  Since you're splitting the signal,  you're introducing resistance, the cable company can make up for that by  increasing the signal strength.

KAIZAN99

Sorry for not being more specific, and yes, it's a Pro-HD. But there's one more factor; there is also a cable modem. So based on your info, I should get a higher quality splitter after the cable modem? Wall->Cable Modem->New Splitter->both Slingbox and Cable Box, correct?

I'll try that as well as getting Comcast by to check the signal. I'll let you know and thanks!

eferz Expert

KAIZAN99 wrote:

Sorry for not being more specific, and yes, it's a Pro-HD. But there's one more factor; there is also a cable modem. So based on your info, I should get a higher quality splitter after the cable modem? Wall->Cable Modem->New Splitter->both Slingbox and Cable Box, correct?

Yep, Unless the splitter was provided by Comcast.  Most cable companies do not chince out splitters since it costs them more for them to resend a technican than to provide the proper equipment on the first visit.  However, most consumers don't know about the differences in splitters, so don't feel bad if you just picked up a cheap one at Radio Shack or Walmart.

I'll try that as well as getting Comcast by to check the signal. I'll let you know and thanks!

Great.  I look forward to hearing good news.