10 Replies Latest reply: Sep 21, 2010 6:10 AM by dispencer RSS

Can I record my tv programs from my remote location

bets

This probably is a very stupid question but if it is then I apologise.   The thing is I need some advice.    I have a sling box pro which is located in the UK.   I am working in Saudi Arabia and have a sling catcher connected up.    It works great and I'm delighted with it. 

However, due to the time difference between Saudi and the UK some of the programs I want to watch are on sooooooo late and I can't stay up to watch them.   I am "contemplating" buying a Sony HDD recorder.   What I need to know is can I record programs from my sling catcher and watch them at a later time.

Much appreciated if anyone has information.  I don't want to go to the expense of buying a recorder only to find it will not work.

Thanks again

Bets

• Re: Can I record my tv programs from my remote location
          dispencer Novice

Bets: One solution would be to buy a PVR and locate it with the slingbox.  You could then easily set up a recording schedule and watch the programmes at any time using your Slingcatcher.  You would need to set up the slingbox again (PVR input instead of antenna and select the correct remote). This is the setup I have and it works very well.using a Slingbox Classic and a Humax PVR 9300T. An added bonus is that you can record two programmes at the same time and use the EPG for scheduling.

bets

Dispencer,

Ah, thanks for the answer.   I guess I will have to wait until I get back to the UK to sort that out.  I was hoping that I could put an hdd recorder onto the HDMI output of the slingcatcher and then run another HDMI output from the recorder to the tv.   I guess not and it's too expensive just to experiment.

Again thanks for helping out.  Much appreciated

Bets

hatty

dispencer, I have a Slingbox Pro and a Humax 9300T PVR and I cannot get the infrared code for the  slingbox - can you help? 

dispencer Novice

hatty: assuming yoy have the Humax 9300t plugged into the Slingbox, run setup on the Slingbox. Select Satellite and then Humax as the input device. This should install a generic Humax remote which works fine with the 9300t. Don't forget to install the infrared sender in front of the receiving 'eye' on the 9300t. Let us know how you get on.

hatty

I have the Humax 9300T connected to the slingbox via the composite connection and as a satellite (although it is a PVR withan aerial). The next stage asks me for a manufacturer and model. I click Humax but the 9300T in not on the list, if I click other it asks me to try various codes (1 - 4 i think) and then a custom code. I have tried to use the Humax 9200T as the model but I still cannot control the channels or the recorder, I just get one channel. If I use the Humax remote I can change channels etc. Maybe my ir blaster is not working.

I could do with step by step instructions really as I am a bit thick

dispencer Novice

hatty: the Humax 9200T remote should work just fine.  The Slingbox Pro comes with two IR blasters, both connected to just the one plug that goes into the Slingbox. -- are you sure you are using the correct blaster? Are you sure the blaster is aligned to the 9300T 'eye'? Try the other blaster and see if that works.  Are you trying to control the 9300T using Slingplayer or with a Slingcatcher?

hatty

dispencer - Thanks very much, got the 9200t settings to work ok now. The only things I cannot get to work are the red instant record and the red record from the programme guide button - any ideas? Is there another "eye" for instant record on the Humax?

dispencer Novice
                                    hatty: glad to hear you are making progress!  As I aked in my previous post, how are you watching your Slinbox?  Using a PC (or Mac) or using a Slingcatcher. Please let me know and I will then provide further guidance (Either way, the red instant record button on the remote should work).
                                    Concerning "...the red record from the programme guide button": I'm not sure I understand. When in the EPG, to record a programme just use the cursor keys to select/highlight the programme and then press enter/OK.  If the programme is currently airing, recording will start immediately. If the programme is in the future, then the programme will be 'reserved' (stop/start time is controlled by a signal from the broadcaster).
                                        hatty

Watching Slingbox on a PC 

dispencer Novice

hatty: Ok, you are using Slingplayer on a PC. Your remote likely does not have the coloured buttons, which are essential to navigating the EPG (Guide), which has red, green, yellow and blue buttons along the bottom of the screen.

To access the coloured buttons, you need to go to the menu bar that appears at the top of the Slingplayer screen and select Slingbox ¦ Remote Control ¦ Navigation. You will see:

Custom20 - click for Text

Custom22 - click for Red

Custom23 - click for Green

Custom24 - click for Yellow

Custom25 - click for Blue

You can set these up as a 'favourites bar', but I won't go into details until you are comfortable with the above.

Are you now able to navigate the Guide as per the instructions in my previous post in order to achieve instant and future recording? Does the Red record button on the remote now activate instant recording?