56 Replies Latest reply: Aug 8, 2010 1:39 PM by mstanley RSS

Alltel HTC Hero 2.1 Android

mstanley Newbie

Hello,

I've  checked the requirements for Slingplayer for Android and its telling me  that ALL Android Devices are supported.  However when attempting to  find Slingplayer on the Android Market it doesn't find it.

Why is that?

Previously  you listed several different Android phones as the requirement and now  you don't list any and are saying that ALL Android phones are supported.

Quote: "SlingPlayer Mobile™ supports all Android mobile phones."

The above statement is from the requirements of Slingplayer Mobile for Android.

Do you need to update the Android Market so that Alltell HTC Hero Owners can purchase your Software?

Please let me know why I am unable to Purchase and or Download the Slingplayer for my HTC Hero from Alltel.

Thanks.

• Re: Alltel HTC Hero 2.1 Android
          eferz Expert

There's actually a couple reasons why the Slingplayer Mobile (SPM) for Android isn't showing up in the  Google Andriod Market Place.  This is because SPM is marked as a paid, copy-protected application.  Google uses filters in the Android Mariet  to manage access based on sanctioned country, rom, and phone  combinations.

There's a small subset of countries which have the ability to buy Andriod applications.  The country  is determined by the SIM in your mobile device not by physical  location.  So, you could get around Google's filter by using a pre-paid  SIM from one of the supported countries.

The other filter is due to the  application being copy protected.  Google will govern your access based  on the "/system/build.prop" file.  If it is sanctioned, then Google will  have its fingerprint saved it in their database.  This can prevent  certain phone/ROM combination and rooted access from seeing any  copy-protected applications within the Andriod Market.

The  following link best describes the issue and possible workarounds (http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-spica/98024-protected-app-market-fix-tutorial-build-prop.html).

Once you've been able to figure out a work around of the Google filters then you can use the following url market://details?id=com.slingmedia.slingPlayer or QR Code to find the Slingplayer Mobile for iPhone within Google's Andriod Market.

com.slingmedia.slingPlayer.png

mstanley Newbie

While I appreciate your response, I've read this post by you before concerning this issue.

If such is the case then the statement  "SlingPlayer Mobile™ supports all Android mobile phones." Does not hold true.

If that were the case then I'd be able to download the Application without having to go through the Android Market.

The sad fact of the matter is, Slingplayer Mobile Doesn't Support ALL Android Phones.

The Links you posted do not apply as Rooting the phone to install this application that Slingmedia states that ALL Android phones are supported is not what im looking for.

eferz Expert

I certainly think that's one way to interpret it.  The other way, is that Google filters is preventing you from purchasing it.

Did you try test listed in the link which I provided?

Before we start, check the Android Market from your phone using the  Market app (the official Google one, not Appbrain or others). Search for  "dr droid". There are two Dr. Droid apps, a free and a paid version and  both are "protected" apps. If you can't see them, then your firmware  probably isn't cleared for "protected" apps.
                mstanley Newbie

I see the free version of Dr. Droid, not the paid version.

mstanley Newbie

Not all paid apps, I can select Top Paid apps and can purchase those just fine...

eferz Expert

I would recommend contacting Google's customer service to find out why you've been excluded from seeing certain paid apps.  There are no technological reasons why you're being discriminated from purchasing either Dr. Droid or Slingplayer Mobile for Andriod.

mstanley Newbie

uh, I have to contact Google Customer Service to buy an Application  thats made by Sling Media?  I can see where that will get me, Google  Customer service will tell me to Contact Sling Media.

eferz Expert

Yes, remember the application is hosted for purchase on Google's Marketplace.  Its their filters which are preventing you from purchasing the application.  They will be able to advise you which filter is preventing you from seeing the application.

mstanley Newbie

Well for me to go to Google and Ask why I can't purchase Slingplayer Mobile is a waste of my time.  The simple fact of the matter is that Sling Media is LOSING out on sales of their product if Google is restricting access to their Application.

This is a Sling Media problem and should be handled by Sling Media.

Or they need to change the listed supported Devices :"As Determined by Google and whatever devices that they will allow you to download and or purchase from the Android Market"

Because right now  ALL Android Devices Supported is a flat out LIE.

This is unacceptable.

mstanley Newbie

LOL!  Yeah, I highly doubt there  are even enough Android users that even know about this problem. Let  alone care about this problem.

Are there any Sling Media employees or Techs that read these forums?

I'd forward this on to Support however it would probably fall on deaf ears.

And yeah you are right, Its FALSE advertising Plain and Simple.

mstanley Newbie

I highly doubt I'll even get a response on the Google Support forums.

eferz Expert

Is that the only point of contact for customer support of Google's Andriod Market?

mstanley Newbie

From what i could find, yes.

eferz Expert

That blows.  At least Sling Media has multiple contact points (http://www.slingmedia.com/go/contact)

mstanley Newbie

They do?  Those Slingmedia contact points are worthless.

eferz Expert

OMG did you read this back and forth? (http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Android+Market/thread?tid=24c34d9f07557faf&hl=en)

adadogensco wrote:

I purchased the SlingPlayer Mobile software via the Droid Market on my Motorola phone.  Today I had to reset my phone and lost all data.  When I enter the Market, it asks me to pay for the SlingPlayer Mobile software.   How can I get this back on my phone or registered in the Market place as paid?  Thanks.
                                                  adadogensco wrote:

Also tried signing on using original id and password but application still shows up requesting me to 'buy'.  Is there any option to this?   Can I backup purchased apps. to avoid this happening again?  Thanks.
                                                  TreKing wrote:

Search this forum for "Slingplayer Mobile". Many people have posted about issues with it. Maybe someone has an answer for you.
                                                  adadogensco wrote:

Thanks for the reply.  It appears that there are many others who have 'lost applications' after performance a Droid phone reset.   I can't seem to find anyone who represents the Android Market.  I was told by Verizon Wireless that there was great support for all this???  Next month I'm also getting an iPhone through work so it will be interesting to compare the two from a support standpoint.

TreKing wrote:

I can't seem to find anyone who represents the Android Market.

That's because that person does not exist. The Android Market sucks so much and is plagued with so many issues, I doubt anyone is willing to "represent" it and take "credit".

I was told by Verizon Wireless that there was great support for all this???

I spit out my coffee after reading this ... Did they tell you that with a straight face? Because, wow did they ever lie to you. Maybe there's great support ON THEIR END. I've never had Verizon, so I don't know. But they definitely weren't talking about Google or the Android Market.

Next month I'm also getting an iPhone through work so it will be interesting to compare the two from a support standpoint.
                                                  I'm going to go out on a limb and call this one for the iPhone - and I've never used one.
                                                  adadogensco wrote:

I'm new to the Android Market so your comments are helpful.  I certainly don't want to re-experience what others have already become frustrated over.  I won't be purchasing additional applications from an area if there is no one to represent it.  Thanks for the data.

LOL TreKing's last response is priceless.

mstanley Newbie

haha yeah Like I said.  I doubt Sling Media will answer this post and Highly Doubt Google will Answer my Post.

eferz Expert

I suggest that tomorrow, between 7am and 7pm PST, using either that chat  widget or phone number on the right-hand side of this page (http://support.slingbox.com/go/contact-sling-media).  At the very least, you'll get an answer from someone from one of the two companies.

mstanley Newbie

Had a chat session with Sling Media,  here is their response, they  are telling me I need to contact Google and have them figure out why I  can't buy Sling Media's Software....................

8:57 AM Connecting...
                                                              8:57 AM Connected. A support representative will be with you shortly.
                                                              8:58 AM Support session established with Federico.

8:58  AM Federico: Thank you for contacting Sling Media Technical Support. My  name is Federico. Which product are you looking for support on today?
                                                              8:58 AM Mike Stanley: Slingplayer Mobile
                                                              8:58 AM Federico: Hello Mike
                                                              8:58 AM Mike Stanley: hello
                                                              8:58 AM Federico: What kind of phone do you have and what is the problem that you are having?
                                                              8:59 AM Mike Stanley: I want to know why I can't Download Slingplayer Mobile from the Android Market.  It doesn't list the App.
                                                              8:59 AM Mike Stanley: Your requirements for it state that ALL Android phones are supported.
                                                              9:00 AM Federico: What is the model of your phone?
                                                              9:00 AM Mike Stanley: I have an Android Phone Running Android 2.1
                                                              9:00 AM Mike Stanley: HTC Hero
                                                              9:00  AM Federico: I understand the problem that you are having in regards  that you can't download the software for your phone through the Market  Place
                                                              9:01 AM Mike Stanley: that is correct
                                                              9:02 AM Federico: In  that case, you will need to contact them directly because that phone is  fully supported and they are the ones that handle those phones and the  billing as well
                                                              9:02 AM Mike Stanley: uh
                                                              9:03 AM Mike Stanley: this is your Sling Media's Application
                                                              9:03 AM Mike Stanley: all thats going to happen is they are going to tell me to Contact You guys...
                                                              9:03 AM Mike Stanley: you guys are Losing out on Sales because Google is restricting Access to your application?
                                                              9:04  AM Federico: The software is from us but the Marlet Place is the one  that is taking take of it, we don't have access to the Market Place, we  provide support to customers once the software ins installed on the  phone
                                                              9:04 AM Mike Stanley: do you have any contact information for them?
                                                              9:04 AM Federico: We don't handle that kind of information
                                                              9:04 AM Mike Stanley: LOL
                                                              9:04 AM Mike Stanley: do you have anyone in your office that can assist me with this issue?
                                                              9:04 AM Mike Stanley: your pushing me off to Google is not the solution.
                                                              9:05 AM Mike Stanley: This is Sling Media's Software and you should take ownership of the Problem.
                                                              9:05 AM Mike Stanley: Your losing out on Sales.
                                                              9:05 AM Mike Stanley: of your application
                                                              9:05  AM Federico: Unfortunately we can't do much because you don't have the  software on the phone, for that reason, I'm recommending you to contact  the Market Place directly
                                                              9:06 AM Mike Stanley: and so.  your telling me to contact the market place directly.
                                                              9:06 AM Mike Stanley: do you have their contact information?
                                                              9:07 AM Federico: Let me check one second please
                                                              9:10 AM Federico: It will be directly through the website market.android.com
                                                              9:11 AM Mike Stanley: ok.  you need to pass this chat log onto your Supervisor.  this is NOT an acceptable Solution.
                                                              9:13  AM Federico: I understand your point Mike but as the problem is related  with the installation of the software in your phone through their  website the issue is not related with us, it will be directly with them
                                                              9:14 AM Mike Stanley: you guys need to take issue with GOOGLE because I cannot purchase your software
                                                              9:14 AM Mike Stanley: not the other way around.
                                                              9:15  AM Federico: I can submit your feedback but for sure it is a problem  with their website, as we don't have the software in our website and it  is through a 3rd party website, the problem that you are having will be  through them as I explained to you before
                                                              9:17 AM Mike Stanley: well thats a strike against you guys for letting Android Market manage your software
                                                              9:17 AM Mike Stanley: because they aren't doing a very good job.  and You are losing money.
                                                              9:18 AM Mike Stanley: you ever been on the Android Market Support?
                                                              9:18 AM Mike Stanley: its a nightmare
                                                              9:18 AM Federico: That is correct Mike
                                                              9:18 AM Mike Stanley: ton's of people having problems with downloading software
                                                              9:18 AM Mike Stanley: and yeah people are listing Slingplayer as one of the apps they can't download.
                                                              9:18 AM Mike Stanley: ETC
                                                              9:19  AM Federico: I will submit your comments to high levels to see if they  can improve the service that Market Place are providing to our loyal  customers
                                                              9:19 AM Mike Stanley: that would be wonderful
                                                              9:20 AM Federico: Is there anything else that I can do for you?
                                                              9:20 AM Mike Stanley: nope
                                                              9:20 AM Federico: Ok, I just submit the comments Mike
                                                              9:20 AM Federico: Thanks for contacting Sling Media tech support, enjoy the rest of your day.
                                                              Please remember to visit our website that is Slingbox.com for any doubt that you might have.

9:20 AM Federico has ended the session.

Expert

Hey mstanley -

FYI, if you don't have a standard ROM in your phone, you won't be able to see SlingPlayer Mobile in the Android Market because we have copy protection enabled. However, Google has released new licensing parameters that we will use to fix this in a future update of SPM.

Thanks and apologies for the frustration,

The Slingbox Answers Forum Moderation Team

mstanley Newbie

I have the Standard Rom in my phone,  I've not Rooted it or Modified it in anyway.

That is what is so frustrating about this issue.

You guys state that ALL Android Base phones are Supported.

Expert

Hm - definitely weird. Well, look, all of the above points made about Google's hosting of the application are 100% correct - I know it's no fun talking to support line after support line, but they hold the keys at this point - we just provide them with the goodies behind the door. When you say you can't see SPM in the Market, does that include their "Featured" page (http://www.android.com/market/)?

Let me catch up and read this thread thoroughly and get some more info to our product managers. Safe to say that we strongly agree - it's not good when a guy wants to buy our stuff, but can't.

In the meantime, let us know if you have any further success with some of the info provided above or with Market Support.

mstanley Newbie

I can see quite a few apps on my device from their featured page website yes.  However Slingplayer isn't one of them that I can see on my device.

I can see every other one listed on my device that listed on their Featured page.

And Market support hasn't been any help to this point,  Its frustrating that I can't talk to a real human being, that being said lots of other posts by other android users that cannot see SPM.

At this point is it a google issue,  a provider issue,  is my provider Alltel locking out the apps?  Is it that Google hasn't updated my Phone / Rom combo on Android Market?  I don't know at this point.

Expert

Hey could you provide us with your MEID? I believe you can locate that number under the battery, but it may be located elsewhere... we want to get this over to the folks at Google.

Thanks!

mstanley Newbie

Hey Dana,

Should I provide you that info via a public forum?

Please let me know,

-Mike

eferz Expert

If you post if on the public forum, mark out the digits that would be your serial number.

A Mobile Equipment Identifier (MEID) is a globally unique number identifying a physical piece of CDMA mobile station equipment. The number format is defined by the 3GPP2 report S.R0048 but in practical terms it can be seen as an IMEI but with hexadecimal digits.

Manufacturer code Serial number CD
                                                                        R R X X X X X X Z Z Z Z Z Z C

An MEID is 56 bits long (14 hex digits). It consists of three fields, including an 8-bit  regional code (RR), a 24-bit manufacturer code, and a 24-bit  manufacturer-assigned serial number. The check digit (CD) is not  considered part of the MEID.

I'm guessing Dana is after the 8-bit regional code which should be the same for all the Alltel phones in the US.

mstanley Newbie

A100000D

Is the first 8 digits of my MEID Number.

mstanley Newbie

Hey Dana,

Should I provide you that number in a public forum?

I’m not sure you’ll even get this email.

Please let me know.

-Mike

mstanley Newbie

Dana,

Did you get my MEID number?

A100000D

Is the first 8 digits of my MEID Number.

-Mike
                                                                                eferz Expert

Still no luck, huh?  At least you have Dana from Sling backing you up.  That's the one person from technical support who participates in these forums that can actually help you resolve you're problem.

This morning I had an alert that your post on the Andriod Support forms finally got a response.  Unfortuantely, when I checked it, turned out to be you replying to your own post.  Sad.  Google really needs to take an active role in supporting their application store if they want to be able competite with Apple in application distribution.

Even though developer support has something to be left desired for the iTunes App Store, their customer support gives me an email response within 24 hours from an actual Apple employee.  Instead of being forced to particupate in a public forum with hopes that another user knows how to help, or the slim chance a company representative will respond to my post.  Oh, wait... sound familiar, Sling Media?

Expert

I did - thanks. Checking to see if that is all we'd need, or if the complete number is needed... Will advise when I know more.

eferz Expert

eferz wrote:

I certainly think that's one way to interpret it.  The other way, is that Google filters is preventing you from purchasing it.

Did you try test listed in the link which I provided?

Before we start, check the Android Market from your phone using the  Market app (the official Google one, not Appbrain or others). Search for  "dr droid". There are two Dr. Droid apps, a free and a paid version and  both are "protected" apps. If you can't see them, then your firmware  probably isn't cleared for "protected" apps.

mstanley wrote:

I see the free version of Dr. Droid, not the paid version.

I think Dana missed the previous message where you tested searching for "Dr. Driod"  It's a protected app that comes in a free and paid version.  Mike is only able to see the "free protected app", but not the "paid protected app" of this software.

Mike, I called my cousin in who was also unable to purchase the Slingplayer Mobile for Andriod.  Asked about the "top paid app" section, said you may be able to see it but you might not be able to actually purchase them.  A test would be is to write down the some of names of the apps listed then do a market search.  Most likely in the results you'll only see the free alternatives.  His work around for this problem was to get a pre-paid AT&T SIM from one of our relatives here in the US.

Btw, what country are you in?

mstanley Newbie

I can see all the Featured apps on the Android Featured apps list just not SPM.

Its not that I can't see ANY paid apps.  I can see some just fine.  I can even go through and purchase them if I wanted at this point.  And yes Dr. Droid the paid version I'm not able to see, however I can see the Free version just fine.

Paid Protected might be the issue?  What the heck is the difference?

I can see some Paid,  just not Protected Paid?

mstanley Newbie

I thought about asking Alltel Support, but at this point I probably know more about my Android phone than anyone at my local offices.

eferz Expert

Well, you wouldn't be asking about the phone.  You'd be esclating Google Andriod Market support through Alltel's partnership of selling Google phones.  I would seem to think that Google would lose out a good chunk of marketshare if Alltel started pushing their weight around and stopped selling or supporting Andriod based phones.

mstanley Newbie

Google, Along with Sling Media I believe made some changes to the Android Market.

Dr. Droid and Slingplayer Mobile now appear in the Andoid Market on my Alltel HTC Hero.

Thanks Dana!

Just curious, what was the issue?

-Mike